Cafe charges customers 35 cent "minimum wage fee"

Because, if left to their own devices, private businesses would be really tempted to set the wages they pay people as low as possible in order to increase their margins. It's at these times the government is right to step in and legislate that a certain minimum must be set.

For one thing, our tax on most goods and services is 20%, which is way higher than what it is in the US.

And then people would go work somewhere else and that shop would be forced to increase his wages to entice people to work for him.  That is the way it works in anyone job.  You have to pay to get and keep good workers.  There is no government involvement in the hiring.

I know taxes are much higher!  You finally see my point.  You are learning.

They're higher mainly due to fuel costs, actually.  Fuel costs have nothing to do with minimum wage because everyone involved in producing fuel gets paid a lot more than that already.

Why are fuel costs higher?  You are buying the same crude that we are?

So, I'm assuming that this restaurant doesn't have servers that receive tips from the customers, so therefore has to pay its employees minimum wage.  Otherwise, the owner wouldn't have to pay anywhere near minimum wage.  But that's another topic all together.  Sounds like the owner is just a jerk.

tmorris1, on 08 Aug 2014 - 09:10, said:

And then people would go work somewhere else and that shop would be forced to increase his wages to entice people to work for him.

But what if every job decides to pay low wages? Then you have no other choice.

You have to pick your battles when it comes to being anti-regulation. There's bigger fish to fry like the government having bailed out GM, corn lobbyism, etc.

Why do you think your costs are higher?

Bro, I lived in Europe for 6 years.  Believe, aside from the mideast, the US has the cheapest fuel prices in the world.  When I was in Bulgaria, I paid about $6 a gallon.

So, I'm assuming that this restaurant doesn't have servers that receive tips from the customers, so therefore has to pay its employees minimum wage.  Otherwise, the owner wouldn't have to pay anywhere near minimum wage.  But that's another topic all together.  Sounds like the owner is just a jerk.

No, they get tips.  They were all making more than minimum wage after tips.  Probably much more if they were good servers.  I believe the increase in minimum wage doesn't distinguish between jobs that receive tips or not.

Why are fuel costs higher?  You are buying the same crude that we are?

Probably because our government charges a hell of a lot more tax on fuel than yours does.

Currently it stands at 57.95p per litre of unleaded, plus VAT of 20% on top of that.

Bro, I lived in Europe for 6 years.  Believe, aside from the mideast, the US has the cheapest fuel prices in the world.  When I was in Bulgaria, I paid about $6 a gallon.

We are headed there.

Probably because our government charges a hell of a lot more tax on fuel than yours does.

Currently it stands at 57.95p per litre of unleaded, plus VAT of 20% on top of that.

Bingo!!!!  We have a winner...

Now think about why your taxes are higher for your next lesson.

No, they get tips.  They were all making more than minimum wage after tips.  Probably much more if they were good servers.  I believe the increase in minimum wage doesn't distinguish between jobs that receive tips or not.

I really don't understand how it's legal for restaurant owners to pay their staff less than minimum wage, and let the tips top it up. That's completely and utterly illegal in Europe, as well as morally reprehensible.

We are headed there.

NOT because of minimum wage. It has absolutely zero to do with our tax rates.

Don't bother trying to think you're schooling me, because you're not.

They aren't the only business to have done something similar.  All the major pizza chains charge you a $2.50ish delivery fee on top of the normal cost of the pizza, not including the driver's tip.  I would much prefer they just raise the price of the item, to include their rising costs, rather than itemize it separately.  However in the end, it doesn't change the fact that the price of the goods have increased.  What most retailers want to be able to do is advertise my item costs $.999 (whatever).  In a pratical sense, by itemizing the "minimum wage" increase separately like this, customers can know how much extra they are truly spending at a business for increased wages, instead of it just being absorbed into the price and it being hidden.

And I can tell you that I buy much less pizza than I did years ago.

I never get delivery.

I wait for specials and coupons.

I often just get a frozen pizza and doctor it to my tastes.

I am cheap ! :p

I agree that someone has to do these jobs, but they were not meant as career jobs to provide a living wage.  I am not classifying jobs as living wage, it was the politicians that did this when they passed the bill.  They said everyone deserves a living wage.  Well $9.50 is not a living wage and not everyone deserves it.

I know lots of people that worked 2 or 3 different jobs to make ends meet.  You do what you have to do.  I worked 2 jobs while going to school and even after I had a better paying job for extra money.  It is the mentality of people that needs to change.

So these are jobs for children?

Because I can think if a single adult who works for any other reason than paying for their living expenses.

We are headed there.

you are heading in a direction that no one can follow. if you are trying to make a statement, its not working.

you are heading in a direction that no one can follow. if you are trying to make a statement, its not working.

All I was trying to point out is that the more government gets involved the more expensive things are going to get, hence the higher taxes.  It is not all caused by the small minimum wage increase, but it is a small part of it.  I would rather keep my money and decide what to do with it than to give the majority of it away, but that is just me.

That was my point.  Higher taxes are the cause and will be the result of more regulation and mandates.

It's false advertising.

If the so called "fee" wasn't clearly stated it was going to be added, then they can't just start adding onto the stated price for items, except with Government Tax. If I was there I'd simply refuse to pay it on principle. You can't just add fees to someones bill without making them aware of it ahead of time.

How is this false advertising?

He could have easily changed his prices to include the extra amount needed to break even. He can also add a 'service fee' for handling items or whatnot. People wouldn't bat an eye if this was policy, instead they freak out due to the political nature, not the principle of what you are talking about.

All I was trying to point out is that the more government gets involved the more expensive things are going to get, hence the higher taxes.  It is not all caused by the small minimum wage increase, but it is a small part of it.  I would rather keep my money and decide what to do with it than to give the majority of it away, but that is just me.

That was my point.  Higher taxes are the cause and will be the result of more regulation and mandates.

BUT, do people have high enough of an IQ to run their own life .... scary thoughts. ;)

Because, if left to their own devices, private businesses would be really tempted to set the wages they pay people as low as possible in order to increase their margins. It's at these times the government is right to step in and legislate that a certain minimum must be set.

That's the point of the world today - price your salary at what you think people will work for. They will either come work for you, or go somewhere else. Why does government really have to step in?

Yeah, one could claim that all companies would suddenly collude to drop salary down to 30 cents a day and mess with the overall economy... and that's what this really is about. Government maintaining the economy and a cushy way of living and business trade.

BUT, do people have high enough of an IQ to run their own life .... scary thoughts. ;)

Your funny comment aside... what the government is really doing is standing in the way of natural selection and making a statement that they know better what to do with our money and a person's well being.

That is actually scarier than the fact half the population are drooling idjits.

Your funny comment aside... what the government is really doing is standing in the way of natural selection and making a statement that they know better what to do with our money and a person's well being.

That is actually scarier than the fact half the population are drooling idjits.

This along with buying votes.

The owner is being pretty silly expecting people to get upset over a 35 cent increase. Then again, the customers are t*it-for-tat in being petty if they're really outraged and claiming they'll never go back there. The owner is just being stupid... people act stupid sometimes, get over it. And really, not going to that restaurant anymore will just harm the employees that they want to support. If business drops because their outrage causes them to leave, the employees will get fired. If there was a space for tip on the receipt, I'd just add 0.35 extra to the tip and write "I'm happy to pay 0.35 more so your employees get better wages."

(note, the t*it in t*it-for-tat is censored by the forums)

35 cents enrages people?

Never thought I would do it, but....

'MURICA!

Eat at home if 35 cents is a hardship.

As for the receipt comment, sounds like the owners are a-holes.

I'd say it more about the way it was presented, just like the lady said.  It's the principle.  Restaurants should pay more than minimum wage, anyway.  If they aren't, them putting it on the customer's check just makes them look even more like asses.  not to mention, I'm assuming they have a lot more customer checks than employees, so they're making more money than they're paying out.

How is this false advertising?

He could have easily changed his prices to include the extra amount needed to break even. He can also add a 'service fee' for handling items or whatnot. People wouldn't bat an eye if this was policy, instead they freak out due to the political nature, not the principle of what you are talking about.

If he adjusted the Menu prices to account for it, it would be fine.

If he puts a sign on the door, or on the menu saying a fee will be added for whatever, it would be fine.

He didn't. The first you knew about the fee was when you go to pay, and that's NOT fine. You can't just decide to add fees onto purchases without informing people ahead of time. It's wrong, and in most of the world, it's flat out illegal. That's what every menu has a taxes extra in fine print, or shipping charges may apply online, etc. 

As someone mentioned before.. sure 35c we can ignore.. What if it was 35$? You go there, eat your soup or whatever, and suddenly your $5 mean is $40 with no prior notice? Still think it's fine then?

Also, to the guy before who said the Gov set the 35c fee.. Unless that employee serves ONLY me for 1h, then no, the fee doesn't reflect the increase the gov't set.

That's the point of the world today - price your salary at what you think people will work for. They will either come work for you, or go somewhere else. Why does government really have to step in?

Because that's not true. Working conditions used to be god awful and people made far less than they do now but they still worked because they need to work. Hell, look at China. People are working for dollars per day because the government won't step in and force a legitimate wage. And these people can't just up and go work elsewhere. That's just not how it works.

Because that's not true. Working conditions used to be god awful and people made far less than they do now but they still worked because they need to work. Hell, look at China. People are working for dollars per day because the government won't step in and force a legitimate wage. And these people can't just up and go work elsewhere. That's just not how it works.

I wouldn't use China as an example. They are making $1 a day because the government is taking the rest.