Laptop overheating issue

Have been plagued by a very annoying issue with this HP Pavilon G6 series laptop. It seems to overheat alot, without warning and windows will hibernate due to a thermal event:

The system was hibernated due to a critical thermal event.
Hibernate Time = ?2014?-?08?-?06T19:14:39.249474000Z             
ACPI Thermal Zone = ACPI\ThermalZone\TZ0_             
_HOT = 376K

This happens often, and generaly during just normal use (not gaming) short of taking the computer apart and deep cleaning, does anyone have any other suggestions? I have tried the conventional methods of cleaning the vents, assuring proper air-flow, etc, but none seems to help.

By conventional methods, do you mean spray clean (air canister) the fan / fan opening?

Besides that, all I can think of: take the laptop apart, deep clean the fan and your problems are solved. (Quick Google search tells me this series has a lot of heating issues).

What temps are you getting? You might want to re-grease the CPU heatsink.

By conventional methods, do you mean spray clean (air canister) the fan / fan opening?

Besides that, all I can think of: take the laptop apart, deep clean the fan and your problems are solved. (Quick Google search tells me this series has a lot of heating issues).

Yes. Taking the laptop apart is going to be an issue, I've never taken a laptop apart, is it easy to do?

Yes. Taking the laptop apart is going to be an issue, I've never taken a laptop apart, is it easy to do?

No, it's pretty straight forward. Just be patient and remember where all the screws came from. Some are longer than others, so you need to what screw goes where, that's pretty much all. Also a video guide helps a lot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txH0U_eziaI

laptop coolers help immensely with overheating.  I personally liked the antec one.   I would suggest replacing the fan assembly and applying new thermal grease to the heat sink and running a laptop cooler.   This will be the best of all worlds.

In my experience, if it's out of warranty you'd better replace the toothpaste inside with quality thermal interface material before it dies. If it's within the warranty period, let it die and get a new motherboard out of it.

I'll run hwmonitor when I can, also the laptop is out of warranty and it's a refurbished one as well

I use to have this HP laptop that use to get soooooo warm. it never shut off from over heating but it got really hot under it and the fans always ran loud and hard. So one day I flipped it up side down and blew out the cooling fins in the back with the Data Vac duster. Instantly this HUGE puff of dust came shooting out the bottom of the laptop where the fan is. Just remember to hold the fan still with a paper clip when you do this. After that it ran quiet and cool.

Here is how you can tell if you have proper cooling. Turn the laptop on and put the vent right next to your face. You should feel a warm or hot flow of air. If you don't it means it's still plugged. I use my face because it is much more sensitive than using my hand.

When I used my hands I could hardly feel any air, when I used my face I could feel ALL of the air coming out.

M163-1040-main-sp.jpg

Cans of air suck balls ball in comparison to this non static data Vac Duster

I've found that with the older HP models (Centrino & Core2Due era), the CPU/GPU fan starts to struggle to spin up correctly or not at all when on lower PWM rates around the 3 year mark.

I was gonna get the G6-1331, the high end one with dual GPU, but after looking at the service manual before I bought it, I decided not to as they're known to run hot and fail due to cooling issues. Instead I bought an older Clevo M571TU 17" gaming notebook, all components are under one cover, and cooling is excellent and easy to maintain. It's an older Core2Quad, but still a monster to me :)

The G6 is like most Toshibas, you've gotta pull the machine completely apart, take the mainboard out and flip it over just to take the heatsink off, there's no CPU or fan access from underneath, the board HAS to come out! It's too much hassle, I do it enough at work, didn't want it at home too! HP and Tosh don't like making life easy!

BTW, the OFFICIAL service guide is here: http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c03094322.pdf don't follow an amateur YouTube video!! I always use official literature in my work!