Firefox running slow

firefox

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 cbrookhart

cbrookhart

Neowinian

Posted 09 August 2014 - 02:29

Lately, about once or twice a week I am having to reset Firefox (Firefox 31) because it becomes unbearably slow. I've been doing a Firefox reset over the past month, and initially the reset would restore the tabs. Now when I do the reset, none of my tabs come back.

Why is Firefox becoming so slow where it takes over a minute to scroll down a page or takes several minutes just to open?

Why the is the reset now not restoring my tabs?

#2 Max Norris

Max Norris

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 15
  • Phone: HTC One (Home) Lumia 1020 (Work)

Posted 09 August 2014 - 02:36

Tried running without addons to see if it's one of them causing the issue? I've had one or two that could seriously slow it down, last one was one of the "linkification" addons, especially on javascript heavy sites it clobbered the browser. Just run it in safe mode (Firefox's, not your OS) and see if it's still dragging.

Could always try building a new profile too.. once in a long while the data get get a little wonky and it'll do strange things.

#3 +Brando212

Brando212

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 13
  • Phone: Sony Xperia ZL, Nokia Lumia 925

Posted 09 August 2014 - 02:57

I've long since given up trusting firefox's session manager. i use Session Manager extension now and it's MUCH more reliable

as far as the slowing down. how many tabs do you have open on average? do any of the tabs have flash loaded? also how much ram does your computer have? also, what extensions do you have?

if you have 8gigs or less ram & 20+ tabs open (with at least a few containing flash content) then you'll definitely start to notice slow downs in firefox due to ram usage and a few other things after a week or two

#4 :B: Rex

:B: Rex

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Lumia Icon

Posted 09 August 2014 - 05:23

you can try running firefox in safe mode which will disable all add-ons

or you can try disabling the add-ons individually thru the add-ons page. it doesnt uninstall them it just turns them off and then you can turn them back on

#5 Xahid

Xahid

Anokha Neowinian

Posted 09 August 2014 - 05:42

usually, Firefox slowness problem is cause of Addons not because of Firefox itself.

#6 68k

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4

Posted 09 August 2014 - 05:56

Add-ons Manager --> Plugins --> set 'Ask to Activate' for all plugins.