Is FLAC worth it?

Question

Is flac really at all worth it? is there a noticeably big difference or is it minimal? I have 500watt sound system with sub. Just wondering if that format is worth it or not. Thanks!

• Like 1

I'm well aware of VBR but there are varying degrees of quality, some of which are discernable from 320k. It was easier for me to refer to 320k, which is a fixed quality level, than saying LAME VBR -alt-preset extreme and confusing the matter.

I think "VBR V0", would be the same as "VBR -alt-preset extreme". Most people refer to the quality of VBR using V0/V1/V2  etc .....

If the source is HD Audio 96/24 or better, I can tell the difference almost 90% of the time.

You have to be aware of two things:

- hd audio album are often mastered differently,  this explains why people hear a difference (and this have nothing to do with a "superior" format).

- aliasing,  if your source (i.e DAC) handle improperly high sample rate, you'd notice differences, that are not necessarily "good".

If the source is a CD, telling the difference between 320k MP3 and FLAC is a 50/50 at best. If the source is HD Audio 96/24 or better, I can tell the difference almost 90% of the time.

Its easy when you have the answers on front of you not so easy when you don't...

http://mp3ornot.com/

Forget lossy vs lossless can you even tell the difference between 128/320 mp3 ? post your results here

I think "VBR V0", would be the same as "VBR -alt-preset extreme". Most people refer to the quality of VBR using V0/V1/V2  etc .....

Yeah, V0 is what was known as alt-preset extreme.

Flac is great for music on a PC or audio system with a big HDD, just don't use flac on a 16gb phone without microsd slot :P

Between FLAC and a 320 kbps MP3, yes, there is a difference. But in my opinion it is minimal and considering the higher storage requirements, not worth it. But hey, if you have terabytes to spend, go for it.

• Like 1

Is FLAC worth it to use it as main audio format?

In my opinion, no.

Is FLAC worth to download and then convert from FLAC to another audio format?

Yes.

Agreed.  Given the choice I will download flac so I can convert it to V0 using LAME myself.

i rip all my music in flac -8 format in eac using the following settings 

Read mode               : Secure
Utilize accurate stream : Yes
Defeat audio cache      : Yes
Make use of C2 pointers : No

Read offset correction                      : 6   <<<< this only changes if i am using another drive
Overread into Lead-In and Lead-Out          : No
Fill up missing offset samples with silence : Yes
Delete leading and trailing silent blocks   : No
Null samples used in CRC calculations       : Yes

been doing this since 2005/06 & have over 100tb in my own rips & downloads

I always download in a lossless format if available (being lossless, it doesn't matter which one). Then I convert to 320K mp3 for ordinary use.  If the original is a typical massively-engineered pop  horror than you lose nothing.  If the original is a simple live recording of non-amplified instruments (classical music, unplugged etc) then solo voice or choir is obviously clearer than the mp3. (Listening at home with a good DAC and properly amped Apogee Duetta Signature II speakers; in the car there's no audible difference).

Forget lossy vs lossless can you even tell the difference between 128/320 mp3 ? post your results here

Of course you can. Do not listen to commercial crap. Listen to psychedelic trance, or balearic downtempo, or something similar where the actual use of high and low frequencies have a purpose. Oh, and use something that can reproduce the sounds properly, not your average Beats crap.

been doing this since 2005/06 & have over 100tb in my own rips & downloads

100 Tb ? When do you find the time to hear everything ?

You are probably collecting more than you are able to listen in your whole life.

How about you test with pure sounds of varying frequencies, and not terrible recording of a bad live performance?

Moving-the-goalposts-300x2402.jpg

Considering that site has multiple samples im guessing you failed the first test and abandoned it in fear of losing your golden ears.

• Like 2

How about you test with pure sounds of varying frequencies, and not terrible recording of a bad live performance?

I can assure you that all frequencies, are well represented in this recording:

Because almost nobody knows exactly what pure sounds should sound like anyway. At best they have onbly heard them through some un-specified loudspeaker.  All you can tell is how loud it goes and whether it's grossly distorted.

"Good" reproduction, by definition, means it sounds like the original. Many people have heard live acoustic music and know what it sounds like. Listen to some live music, then listen to a recording. That will tell you how good the recording chain is.

Yes

100 Tb ? When do you find the time to hear everything ?

You are probably collecting more than you are able to listen in your whole life.

lol, he is mostly just BSing you

scared you will lose kid?? 

lol, I never said I had over 100TB of music.. Why are you trying to pick pissing fights over the internet? Who are you trying to impress here? Get over yourself

• Like 1

lol, I never said I had over 100TB of music.. Why are you trying to pick pissing fights over the internet? Who are you trying to impress here? Get over yourself

you called me a liar & i have every right to defend myself so here is my proof 

post-40769-0-34983000-1407692007.jpg

so nice try mr assume