Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TDT

Japan in WW 2

38 posts in this topic

I'm not sure this is the right place for this thread, so if it's not, please, a moderator, move it to its proper place.

Anyway, on to the topic. I don't know a lot about the second world war, only stuff that most people know, or maybe some more. However, I was reading a comment on another site that was like: "Japan killed more chinese people in WW2 than Hitler killed jews, and I'm talking atrocities, not war casualties". Is this true?! And if it is, why this thing is not so popular as what Hitler (or Stalin) did?  :wacko:

I'm not sure this is the right place for this thread, so if it's not, please, a moderator, move it to its proper place.

Anyway, on to the topic. I don't know a lot about the second world war, only stuff that most people know, or maybe some more. However, I was reading a comment on another site that was like: "Japan killed more chinese people in WW2 than Hitler killed jews, and I'm talking atrocities, not war casualties". Is this true?! And if it is, why this thing is not so popular as what Hitler (or Stalin) did?  :wacko:

You're on the internet, probably the worlds biggest resource for historical information. Why don't you try exercising a few search engines?

1 person likes this

You're on the internet, probably the worlds biggest resource for historical information. Why don't you try exercising a few search engines?

Because I can't find anything specific. And, by your logic, let's answer to everyone's questions with "google it", right?

4 people like this

Because I can't find anything specific. And, by your logic, let's answer to everyone's questions with "google it", right?

....that's how most questions get answered on the internet.

....that's how most questions get answered on the internet.

Then why are there topics with questions on this forum? Seriously, does anyone think that I can't type "japan vs china" or something like that in Google?! I couldn't find anything about what that comment stated, about the atrocities from the Japan's side, that's why I asked if it's true and if it is, why it's not a known fact. If a question offends you guys, then by all means, close the topic and in the future I'll know better, all my replies will be "Google it", just to add to the post count.

Then why are there topics with questions on this forum? Seriously, does anyone think that I can't type "japan vs china" or something like that in Google?! I couldn't find anything about what that comment stated, about the atrocities from the Japan's side, that's why I asked if it's true and if it is, why it's not a known fact. If a question offends you guys, then by all means, close the topic and in the future I'll know better, all my replies will be "Google it", just to add to the post count.

It is a known and well documented fact: Japan invaded China, the Korean peninsula long before World war II started

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_invasion_of_Manchuria for example.

This part is mentioned in the movie the Last Emperor

The main article is there

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_war_crimes

It is not well known in European countries because we had our own atrocities to deal with.

1 person likes this

It is a known and well documented fact: Japan invaded China, the Korean peninsula long before World war II started

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_invasion_of_Manchuria for example.

This part is mentioned in the movie the Last Emperor

The main article is there

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_war_crimes

It is not well known in European countries because we had our own atrocities to deal with.

Well, thank you, finally an on-topic answer. But there's only one thing that I don't get: since it seems they were far worse than Hitler (I'll get on the reading after I post this), why does everyone thinks that the guy was the worse ever? 

EDIT: 

It may be pointless to try to establish which World War Two Axis aggressor, Germany or Japan, was the more brutal to the peoples it victimised. The Germans killed six million Jews and 20 million Russians [i.e. Soviet citizens]; the Japanese slaughtered as many as 30 million FilipinosMalaysVietnameseCambodiansIndonesians and Burmese, at least 23 million of them ethnic Chinese

Holly ######.  :s

"Google It"?  What a cop out answer.  If you can't answer the question then don't post.  "Google it"?  You do know that if everyone took that stance, then google would have a list of like 30 sites as there would be nothing to comment on!

As to the question, I believe that Japan was a BIG fan of POW camps...

2 people like this

"Google It"?  What a cop out answer.  If you can't answer the question then don't post.  "Google it"?  You do know that if everyone took that stance, then google would have a list of like 30 sites as there would be nothing to comment on!

Who are you replying to?!

People who told you to "Google it" - it's a cop-out answer.

Iris Chang's The Rape of Nanking is a good read about that. Also, look up Unit 731. It's not as "popular" because it happened very far away and most history books neglect to mention the Asian front of WW2, focusing on the European side of things (not Russian side btw).

1 person likes this

Well, thank you, finally an on-topic answer. But there's only one thing that I don't get: since it seems they were far worse than Hitler (I'll get on the reading after I post this), why does everyone thinks that the guy was the worse ever? 

i'm just guessing, but it's easy to say that a person (hitler) did horrible things, instead of a whole country (japan)

People who told you to "Google it" - it's a cop-out answer.

Oh, sorry, I thought you were telling me, I was confused. :) I agree, obviously whoever bothers to open a thread and actually type something in it would like other people's input/opinion/etc. on the matter. Even if there was a website called japankilledmorethanhitler.com, I'm on this forum to interact with real people and learn from others who maybe know more on the subject than me.

i'm just guessing, but it's easy to say that a person (hitler) did horrible things, instead of a whole country (japan)

Hmm, could be, but Japan also had a leader when it did what it did, right? Also, I was a big fan of Japan before this (obviously, I won't judge today's Japan by their past, as I don't judge Germany), but I was literally shocked to learn it...

1 person likes this

Iris Chang's The Rape of Nanking is a good read about that. Also, look up Unit 731. It's not as "popular" because it happened very far away and most history books neglect to mention the Asian front of WW2, focusing on the European side of things (not Russian side btw).

Wow. I just got to read a little about that Unit, it's incredible. I'm speechless. And thank you for giving a reason as to why these actions are not as known as what happened in Europe. I feel like I didn't learn anything in all those years of study, never in my history classes have I knew anything about Japan in WW2, except the nuclear bombs at Hiroshima and Nagasaki.  :/

I can understand your surprise to learn of Japan's atrocities. I believe the overshadowing of Japan by Germany in Europe is largely why Europeans don't understand the reasons the US had for dropping the bomb(s) on them. Hopefully that doesn't distract... but I think it's a relevant opinion.

Or could it be - we had more "important" people than those poor voodoo knuckle-dragging mud dwellers*, a notion that continues unabated well to this day. We had opera, automobiles and automatic weapons. They had voodoo, bushmeat and parasites.

* derogatory remarks intentionally used to underscore the point rather than to slight the ethnic groups in question

I believe the overshadowing of Japan by Germany in Europe is largely why Europeans don't understand the reasons the US had for dropping the bomb(s) on them.

With this, I will never agree. No reason is enough to use nuclear weapons, a fact that I believe the US has learned after the Japan bombing. Obviously, they didn't realize the magnitude of these actions back then, but at least it was a lesson learned, nuclear warfare should never exist. 

With this, I will never agree. No reason is enough to use nuclear weapons, a fact that I believe the US has learned after the Japan bombing. Obviously, they didn't realize the magnitude of these actions back then, but at least it was a lesson learned, nuclear warfare should never exist. 

It is estimated that the bombs saved more lives on both sides, but I'll just leave it at that I suppose.

2 people like this

It is estimated that the bombs saved more lives on both sides, but I'll just leave it at that I suppose.

Could be, but think about future generations. They suffered or died because of these bombs. Maybe it's just me, but I will never approve this kind of weapons... 

Also, an estimation from who? If it's from the US, I can understand, it's somewhat an excuse. But I doubt it's from Japan...

As a killing machine, pacification device and further deterrence method, a display of power by nuclear payload it was the most effective and will remain such until something even more destructive is invented or there's no further need.

Its only shame and drawback of equal proportions to the gain was the fallout, the radioactive contamination (as you have indicated).

But it was far from lesson learned, unless you haven't been following WMD (both very real and imaginary) developments ever since and, again, well in this day and showing no signs of stopping. NK, anyone?

When people reach for deadly weapons with intent of harming and ultimately killing their adversary, no rules exist and no rules shall exist.

I was following some of your links guys, and found out some more interesting info about this. People say that in Japan the teachers focus mostly on the older period, like the samurai period, and they leave out everything (except maybe some footnotes) about what we're talking here. I don't know if this is true, but if it is, just out of curiosity, is it the same in Germany? They don't teach about Hitler & stuff?

Plenty of scenarios were presented to President Roosevelt, then President Truman.

The resistance offered by Japanese troops in 1944 & 1945 at Leyte or Guadalcanal, the necessary resources to gather for the US to land an invasion force on Japan soil, the fact that the war had been going for four full years and the influence of Russia. All these factors led to the decision of using the atomic bomb.

Ultimately, dwelling on whether or not the bombs should have been used is irrelevant: they have been used and we have to deal with the consequences.

Or could it be - we had more "important" people than those poor voodoo knuckle-dragging mud dwellers*, a notion that continues unabated well to this day. We had opera, automobiles and automatic weapons. They had voodoo, bushmeat and parasites.

* derogatory remarks intentionally used to underscore the point rather than to slight the ethnic groups in question

Possibly. The social context of the late 1940 years was totally different compared to now. The decolonizations wars were just about to begin.

I was following some of your links guys, and found out some more interesting info about this. People say that in Japan the teachers focus mostly on the older period, like the samurai period, and they leave out everything (except maybe some footnotes) about what we're talking here. I don't know if this is true, but if it is, just out of curiosity, is it the same in Germany? They don't teach about Hitler & stuff?

No, German education does teach Hitler rise to power and all the events of World War II, including the Shoah. There are plenty of monuments in Germany regarding that, the fact that extermination camps have been preserved helps the duty of memory too.

What can reasonably be said about it? Every youngster barely out of pampers knows about Hitler & stuff thanks to Godwin's law on the internet. Who needs to know that? Perhaps people need to stop gloryfing him. He didn't personally go and maim each of the victims, I would if he did that. But somehow they're goddamn dead and won't probably rise. People under his command did it, most of them willingly. As to why otherwise peaceful folks turn to murder other folks willingly, they often miss the part of how all these "innocent" people are greedy, gullible, vain, mistrusting, meticulous and not innocent or peaceful at all. Which is also why we're condemned to repeat it. Every single day. And we do, more or less gladly. We haven't learned anything worth knowing.