Walmart: 'Going to a very dark place'

Most local businesses are dying and can't compete or make the transition.

They just can't compete with their prices.

Where I live there's a "famous" local bookstore that everybody says you should shop at instead of Amazon to protect local businesses. And sure that's a nice thing and all, but then you go in and a price of a used book from them is more expensive than a new book from Amazon.

Then when you want to sell back your book it's a giant pain in the ass. Oh hardback? Sorry we don't take used hardbacks. Oh this cover is folded? Sorry we can't take that either. Amazon is perfectly happy to take my hardcover or folded cover books.

At the end of the day the internet has made it extremely easy for someone to find cheaper prices for the products they want. Look at car shopping, in the past you would just have to trust that the deal you spent 3 hours arguing with the dealer for was good. Today? Takes like 2 mins to do a search to see.

I wouldn't buy produce online. I wouldn't even send my siblings to shop for me. I have to see and personally examine my fruits, veggies and meat cuts before I commit to cash. For boxed stuff like cereals, milk and such, it's a maybe, but the fresh stuff I need to feel and select for myself.

• Like 3

They just can't compete with their prices.

Where I live there's a "famous" local bookstore that everybody says you should shop at instead of Amazon to protect local businesses. And sure that's a nice thing and all, but then you go in and a price of a used book from them is more expensive than a new book from Amazon.

Then when you want to sell back your book it's a giant pain in the ass. Oh hardback? Sorry we don't take used hardbacks. Oh this cover is folded? Sorry we can't take that either. Amazon is perfectly happy to take my hardcover or folded cover books.

At the end of the day the internet has made it extremely easy for someone to find cheaper prices for the products they want. Look at car shopping, in the past you would just have to trust that the deal you spent 3 hours arguing with the dealer for was good. Today? Takes like 2 mins to do a search to see.

Exactly.

But online shopping isn't only about price... it's also about selection.

How many different items can a local store possibly have?  Your hometown computer store might have a handful of SSDs... or a local camera store might have a handful of tripods.  

Amazon has hundreds of each.

I love to support local businesses...  but if they don't have the product I want... I'm the one who's affected.

Amazon has over 200 million items in their US store.  And many of them can be at my house in 2 days.

To me... that trumps all.

• Like 2

The Waltons are worth over billion dollars but refuse to give their workers enough money to live on. It's disgusting that people who work for a living still have to be on welfare because of their bosses greed.

If they want more money, get a higher education. Work hard, play hard.

The Waltons are worth over billion dollars but refuse to give their workers enough money to live on. It's disgusting that people who work for a living still have to be on welfare because of their bosses greed.

I know several people who live just fine, on Wal-Mart wages. ;)

There's always higher paying jobs on the market. Restaurants, for example. They might not be the most glorious part time jobs, but having worked in both retail and food business, I can tell you that the right restaurant job can be quite rewarding for someone just starting out in life, compared to a thankless retail job such as WalMart.

Wal-Mart has a few redeeming qualities, and a couple are related to health care.

Many stores have low cost clinics, and virtually all have pharmacies where generic medications are very affordable.

Generic prescriptions run $4 for a 1 month supply or $10 for a 3 month supply. Hundreds of meds in virtually every category. Even meds not under those caps are often cheaper.

For diabetics, they have insulin (long acting, short acting or a 70%/30% blend) for $25 a bottle. Without this special price insulin can run well over $100 a bottle, and some diabetics may need 2-3 bottles a month. In some states, Michigan being one, no prescription needed.

A lot of 'regular' people fill their prescriptions at Wal-Mart because it's even cheaper than their insurance co-pay.

• Like 1

This sounds like the sort of thing rich Republicans say when they decide to take away any remaining subsidies/breaks for the poor/middle class.

As if not making any money is the fault of the person, not the situation they are in. And as if everyone is given the same opportunities in life. The US social/economic system is specifically designed to increase the socio economic gap as much as possible and create a transfer of wealth. In most countries basic necessities like health care, education etc are subsidized, to allow everyone a somewhat equal playing field. Not here.

There's always higher paying jobs on the market. Restaurants, for example. They might not be the most glorious part time jobs, but having worked in both retail and food business, I can tell you that the right restaurant job can be quite rewarding for someone just starting out in life, compared to a thankless retail job such as WalMart.

Depends on the job. I've worked in food service and you depend on tips and there are times you can't cover your rent/food because the pay is so low, and minimum wage doesn't apply.

• Like 3

This sounds like the sort of thing rich Republicans say when they decide to take away any remaining subsidies/breaks for the poor/middle class.

As if not making any money is the fault of the person, not the situation they are in. And as if everyone is given the same opportunities in life. The US social/economic system is specifically designed to increase the socio economic gap as much as possible and create a transfer of wealth. In most countries basic necessities like health care, education etc are subsidized, to allow everyone a somewhat equal playing field. Not here.

Sure, the situation the person is in matters, but honestly, don't complain about having a job when others still can't get one. Money is money.

• Like 2

Higher education isn't necessarily necessary... just need to work hard mostly.  If you work hard, come in to work on time, stay away from drugs, dress for the job, ect, there are plenty of other places that will higher you and pay you better.  You disagree with this you have to be lazy and not looking hard enough or something.

What about rich democrats?  They want to take money away from rich people, but yet they themselves remain rich because of the shady laws they come up with.  Poor people are poor because they are either lazy, on drugs, or dumb as hell.  Some people you just can't help no matter what you do.  Others just need to get their bum in gear and get to work.  I'm was in debt $90,000 through school loans in 2008.  I worked 2 jobs and work overtime any chance I get.  I'm down to $53,000.  Not great but I feel like I'm getting somewhere and still enjoying life.  People I know that didn't go to college are probably doing better than me as they already own a house and also have nice vehicles.  They also work overtime any chance they get.  If there is a will there is a way no matter what excuse you come up with.

• Like 2

Over a billion? You are far underestimating the family wealth.

Wal-Mart has a few redeeming qualities, and a couple are related to health care.

Many stores have low cost clinics, and virtually all have pharmacies where generic medications are very affordable.

Generic prescriptions run $4 for a 1 month supply or $10 for a 3 month supply. Hundreds of meds in virtually every category. Even meds not under those caps are often cheaper.

For diabetics, they have insulin (long acting, short acting or a 70%/30% blend) for $25 a bottle. Without this special price insulin can run well over $100 a bottle, and some diabetics may need 2-3 bottles a month. In some states, Michigan being one, no prescription needed.

A lot of 'regular' people fill their prescriptions at Wal-Mart because it's even cheaper than their insurance co-pay.

Two things: 

1) Those are the 'generic' prices for those medications. If you want the brand names, they are much more expensive.

2) Many places offer that same pricing on generics: CVS, Rite-Aid, Walgreens, Target just to name a few.

They are worth over 100 billion collectively - more than Bill Gates...

As far as giving their employees more, Im not sure I have seen a wal-mart employee who was worth more than a bucket of ######.  Most of the time they are barely "there" & usually checking their cell phones for texts when on the clock and in front of customers...

• Like 1

In Michigan they ran into a powerhouse regional chain named Meijer. They're larger (up to 200,000+ sq/ft go), have a better selection & quality (especially in produce, which is local or regionally grown), and similar prices. One stop shopping.

Area served: Michigan, Indiana, Illinois, Ohio, and Kentucky.

I remember going to Meijers as a child enjoying sitting in the cart as my mother shopped. Now that I am older, I realize that they have great prices, clean stores, and overall a better experience than walmart - except I did just get some chicken legs there that were already spoiled, and customer service looked at me like I had three heads when I went to exchange them, but that was more info than needed for this post.

Great store chain!

I wouldn't buy produce online. I wouldn't even send my siblings to shop for me. I have to see and personally examine my fruits, veggies and meat cuts before I commit to cash. For boxed stuff like cereals, milk and such, it's a maybe, but the fresh stuff I need to feel and select for myself.

abso-damn-lutely.

i tried even expensive deliveries, and they can never garantee you get the vegetables that will still be fresh after a few days.    i like to shop once a week, so selecting the best and freshest fruits and veggies (as well as fish and meat - but i usually by fresh and freeze - so only one buy every 2 months)

i also don't buy ANY boxed stuff. and only a bare minimal of canned goods (beans, and wild sardines only, really)

this is very true.   walmart is the place to go with an expensive prescription. the saving is substantial.  

the very few times i actually went to walmart, was for their pharmacy.   non electronics or other stuff.

actually, there is one more.    their tools!      screwdrivers/hammers/etc...      the prices on such tools are sometimes 10 times lower then home depot.

if you are a person that spends money on tools, i highly recommend checking walmart before buying in home depot.  selection is tiny but you can save a LOT of money on the basics!

utility knifes and screwdriver bits are seriously 10 times cheaper and work the same

this section and the pharmacy are truly where walmart gives me value.    groceries is just not the right direction for it i feel.   however i believe it varies by the region and regional alternatives - so for some places, walmart groceries might be a godsend.

Why go to walmart when I can go to Target with better quality, similar prices, clean stores and friendly reps that actually help 

Target does not have everything.  For most things can go to Target.  Walmart does have a good garden center and a good outdoor selectional where Targets have minimal.  Food in BOTH places is bad.  Meat in Walmart is better but the produce at Target looks better but much more expensive.  Costco is a great place to get fruit. 

Amazon is the last place where I'd buy groceries. I prefer supporting local organic farmers.

Ban Amazon from selling groceries; problem solved.

I stilll do not trust online groceries.  I am picky when it comes to fruits and veggies.