Photo

American Way: Could Mitt Romney ride to the rescue of the Republican Party?

draft mitt!

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#1 +Jack Unterweger

Jack Unterweger

devoted fan of the us-armed forces

• 3,032 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S3

Posted 10 August 2014 - 07:43

As the Republican Party searches for a way to win back the White House after Barack Obama leaves the stage, could the nation be turning towards Mitt Romney?

Recalling one of Mr Romney's biggest blunders during his doomed 2012 presidential bid – questioning whether or not London was capable of hosting the Olympic Games – this might sound absurd. But there are surprisingly good reasons why a Romney return might not be all that crazy.

First, since his 2012 defeat, Mr Romney has been proved right about a variety of issues. When he called Russia a "geopolitical foe" during a 2012 presidential debate, Mr Obama gibed: "The 1980s are now calling to ask for their foreign policy back, because the Cold War has now been over for twenty years."

Since that time, of course, Russia has annexed Crimea and massed troops on Ukraine's border. The shooting down of a Malaysian passenger plane in the east of the country is widely believed to have been carried out by Russian separatists. Advantage Mr Romney.

Within seconds of taunting Mitt over Russia, during that same debate, Mr Obama crowed: "Just a few weeks ago, you said you think we should have more troops in Iraq right now."

As I write these words, Islamic State militants are slaughtering Iraqi minorities having taken over Iraq's largest Christian city. This crisis might have been averted had Mr Obama decided to leave a small reserve force in Iraq. Another round for Mr Romney.

He was prescient about some other details, too, including Mali, where he was criticised for mentioning the rise of Islamist extremists in the northern part of the country.

More importantly, his more proactive foreign policy world-view seems to have been redeemed as the crumbling world we witness today stands as evidence of Mr Obama's failed foreign policy strategy, which has been dubbed "leading from behind".

But it wasn't just foreign policy. On the domestic front, Mr Romney warned about ObamaCare, saying that some of the "people who counted on the insurance plan they had in the past" would "lose it". In 2013, Politifact named the "if you like your plan, you can keep it" line their "lie of the year".

Perhaps this explains why a CNN poll released a couple weeks ago showed Mr Romney leading Mr Obama 53 to 44 in a hypothetical rematch of the 2012 election, though according to that same poll, he would lose to Hillary Clinton.

Mr Romney also benefits from the fact that a Netflix documentary released this early this year titled "Mitt" cast him in a better light than own campaign. "On the trail, Mitt Romney played down his Mormon faith at the advice of his staff, but in the film, he is shown tearfully kneeling in prayer with his family in hotel rooms," wrote Holly Bailey for Yahoo! News.

"Perhaps more than anything, the film reveals a candidate who was incredibly self-aware, with the ability to joke about his image ('Don't break my hair,' Romney teases a make-up artist before a television interview) and capable of feeling both confidence and doubt about his own abilities as a politician," Bailey continued.

Speaking of humanising the Republican, there's another reason a Romney run might not be crazy, and that is that having lost a campaign might actually make him more likeable.

He was often cast as a rich guy who led a charmed life. But Americans like a comeback story, and what better way to reinvent oneself as a man of the people than to have lost at something, only to get up, brush yourself off, and try again.

Mr Romney ran for the Republican nomination in 2008, falling short to John McCain. So this would be his third attempt at the presidency – which is not unprecedented. Most famously, William Jennings Bryan was a three-time losing Democratic nominee for president. But the American public has presumably grown more fickle since then.

A better model for Mitt might actually be Richard Nixon, who lost to John F. Kennedy in 1960, then lost the California gubernatorial election in 1962, only to win the presidency in 1968.

Pat Buchanan, who also ran for president three times, worked for Nixon, and is out with a new book about the 1968 race, titled The Greatest Comeback. When I asked Buchanan, whose sister Bay worked for Mitt, if Romney could make a similar comeback, he said:. "If I were Romney, there's no doubt I would do it."

But is it possible? There are different scenarios floated. One option has Mr Romney emerging from a brokered nominating convention as a compromise candidate. Perhaps a more likely scenario is this: The 2016 Republican field fails to draw a top-tier establishment contender, such as former Florida Governor Jeb Bush, opening the door for Mr Romney to be "drafted" into entering the election – perhaps as late as September 2015.

Because of his name recognition and fundraising network, Mr Romney could postpone any sort of decision until such a time, and enter the race tanned and rested – long after some of the other candidates have started to wear out their welcome with the public.

I'm not betting it will happen, but I am cautioning that this is not an absurd possibility. Stranger things have happened. Who knows, maybe the third time's a charm?

Matt Lewis is a senior contributor at The Daily Caller website in Washington DC

http://bit.ly/1sp7We6

so let me summarize this, about mitts strong points:

- russia geopolitical foe nr1. i think it could not be more obvious right now. russia wants to expand at least to where they were before cold war ended and putin intends to stay president at least as long as he is as old as some of his communist predecessors.

- more troops in iraq. i am willing to bet, obama cant win this with air strikes only but in avoiding to make a clear statement now he will leave the white house as a big loser anyway. most generals and military commanders on the ground in iraq say that there will be need for not only a small ammount but a big ammount of troops to defeat isis.

- obama is not only weak, i really think he just has no interest to use americas power, influence and good stuff all arround the world for what it should be used. his place is the golf-course! leading from behind?! wtf?!?! if i had a boss, telling me he wants to lead from behind i either immediately quit work or tell him to lead you need to be on the front 24/7. this is not about delegating work, but the fact that the president is the last decider. bush was much better there and independent former defense minister robert gates thinks the same.

- obama care. i have no idea why nearly no one subscribed to mitt here. usually, you learn differences between nationwide and state-based law and their pros and cons for sure in the first class of political or economical or even historical education. mitt knows that what he implemented in massachusetts wont work the same way in lets say texas or new york.

i think this goes for both, clinton and romney: they need to run in 2016. age is not on their side to wait any longer, and honestly, what they have to lose? they would not be the first ones to run several times for presidency and failed, still their life-history speaks for themselves. also i think, by now about 99% of their potentially disadvantages are out and discussed already, nothing new scandalous to discover.

wouldnt a "boring" election romney vs. clinton, where in lack of new personal scandals, both of them would focus on the issues and how best to fix all the problems obama left us with, something to hope for? two more centrist politicians focussing on winning with solutions not leftish obama propaganda and "leading from behind". im all for it!

#2 jakem1

jakem1

Neowinian Senior

• 6,553 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 08:55

These threads are hilarious.

#3 compl3x

compl3x

Feels good, dunnit?

• 8,384 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S4

Posted 10 August 2014 - 09:15

This is an unhealthy obsession.

#4 Krome

Krome

Neowinian God!

• 4,240 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 09:42

Be very afraid of WWIII if Mitt has his way.

#5 theyarecomingforyou

theyarecomingforyou

Tiger Trainer

• 16,430 posts
  • Phone: Galaxy Note 3 with Galaxy Gear

Posted 10 August 2014 - 09:56

Not even zombie Reagan could rescue the Republican Party.

#6 DocM

DocM

Neowinian Senior

• 17,758 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 16:05

Considering they may well take both houses of Congress in November, reports of their demise are greatly exaggerated. Also remember that they run most state governments.

#7 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• 10,774 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 10 August 2014 - 16:09

I didn't vote for Romney once, and I certainly won't vote for him again. I won't vote for people so lost in their bubble, they can't see two feet in front of them. I'd rather set myself on fire than vote for any of the Republican goons that were running in the last election.

Plus, the ground war in Iraq is over. We're done there. We should have never gone in there in the first place, why would anyone want to go back?

#8 Lord Method Man

Lord Method Man

Banned

• 3,758 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 16:10

No.

#9 spmccord

spmccord

Neowinian

• 192 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 16:32

Mr. 47%?? 

Not a chance.

#10 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• 10,774 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 10 August 2014 - 16:37

TBH, I'm surprised Mitt hasn't set up a 2016 transition website yet. :rofl:

#11 DocM

DocM

Neowinian Senior

• 17,758 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 16:38

Plus, the ground war in Iraq is over. We're done there. We should have never gone in there in the first place, why would anyone want to go back?

To put a halt to ISIS, who wouldn't have got started if we had 1) intervened in Syria sooner as our allies wanted to, and 2) had left a stabilization force in Iraq instead of pulling out prematurely.

Now we have a group worse than AQ rampaging through the ME and making outright threats to attack both Europe and North America. No one paying attention doubts them one bit.

Obama's policy of pulling out as fast as possible was wrong, even stupid, and even some Dem policy types are now agreeing.

This is what happens when you hire rank amateues.

#12 heatlesssun

heatlesssun

Neowinian

• 284 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 16:52

Obama's policy of pulling out as fast as possible was wrong, even stupid, and even some Dem policy types are now agreeing.

You mean Obama pulling out according to the SOFA agreement signed by Bush? The right is always complaining about how Obama is lawless and then complains when follows the law. It's just ridiculous.

#13 fusi0n

fusi0n

Don't call it a come back

• 3,761 posts
  • Phone: LG G3

Posted 10 August 2014 - 17:13

439.gif

#14 +Vykranth

Vykranth

Chantez, compagnons, dans la nuit la Liberté nous écoute

• 3,247 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 17:15

- obama is not only weak, i really think he just has no interest to use americas power, influence and good stuff all arround the world for what it should be used. his place is the golf-course! leading from behind?! wtf?!?! if i had a boss, telling me he wants to lead from behind i either immediately quit work or tell him to lead you need to be on the front 24/7. this is not about delegating work, but the fact that the president is the last decider. bush was much better there and independent former defense minister robert gates thinks the same.

Where and when did I hear that? The American interventionism to do good in evil countries. Ah, yes, I remember. It was in 2002: it was the Bush doctrine, or actually the Dick Cheney lies.

I remember the 'Axis of Evil', 'the campaign of Irak will be short and swift', the 'we will be greeted as liberators'.

Of course, it is required to have a frontal right brain lobe that was working ten years ago. Actually, no, but old cyber Darth Cheney is still spewing the same lies and ignoring his awful track record.

Or Obama could intervene in any part of the globe: what about Tibet? or Egypt? or Mali? Or Pakistan? or Erythrea? Or Liberia? Or Scotland?

Let's face it, GOP created wars in Afghanistan and Iraq under GWB are EPIC FAILS: they made thousands of causalities, cost billions of dollars and failed to achieve any form of stability in these countries whatsoever.

And you would want more of them?

To put a halt to ISIS, who wouldn't have got started if we had 1) intervened in Syria sooner as our allies wanted to, and 2) had left a stabilization force in Iraq instead of pulling out prematurely.

Now we have a group worse than AQ rampaging through the ME and making outright threats to attack both Europe and North America. No one paying attention doubts them one bit.

This is what happens when you hire rank amateues.

Oh yes! Damn You, Obama!

Damn you Obama, of taking into consideration the cost and repercussions of doing a military intervention in a foreign country! 

Damn you Obama, for not invading sovereign countries while blatantly lying to and ignoring the UN security council!

Damn you Obama for failing to build a stable Iraq between 2003 and 2008 where you were US senator of Illinois

Damn you Obama of having the Iraqi prime minister refuse an extension of the US military presence on Iraq soil while Bush was president

Damn you Obama for respecting the contracts, agreements and treaties signed by the previous republican administration.

Thank you, Obama, for not being George W. Bush or Dick Cheney

#15 DocM

DocM

Neowinian Senior

• 17,758 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 17:33

You mean Obama pulling out according to the SOFA agreement signed by Bush? The right is always complaining about how Obama is lawless and then complains when follows the law. It's just ridiculous.

The Bush era SOFA had a set date to expired, as is the norm, and the standard practice In international law is to negotiate a new SOFA before the old one expires.

Obama failed to follow through on negotiating a new SOFA, intentionally, so he could withdraw forces with the lame ass cover story you just regurgitated. It was a huge mistake.