Gamescom 2014 News & Discussion

Is there such a thing as an indie publisher? :laugh:

Indie groups are the hot thing to support now and they get treated much better than larger groups.

I wonder if the kickstarter program is big enough now that a big developer/publisher would see it as a chance to market a new project to gamers. What if they didn't even ask for money (they could ask for whatever the minimum is required for kickstarter). Maybe there is value in the connection they can make with gamers. Kickstarter projects do get a good amount of attention in the gaming media.

I think there are publishers that focus on indie games, although a large chunk of games are self published.

Indies do get cut a lot of slack indeed, but the amount of crap that makes its way on Steam is huge. Greenlight is considered a failure and will supposedly disappear at some point.

What would be the point of putting something on Kickstarter if they're not looking for funding. The kickstarter would be cancelled, that is, if it even meets the requirements and gets published in the first place. Make a community site or something.

Developer Digital are becoming a bit of a super power when it comes to indie publishing.

Plenty of others are doing the same.

What would be the point of putting something on Kickstarter if they're not looking for funding. The kickstarter would be cancelled, that is, if it even meets the requirements and gets published in the first place. Make a community site or something.

I was just wondering if Kickstarter is a good place to get attention from the gaming media and gaming community vs say a community site. If there was enough value there, then it might be used just to stir up interest in a game, more than the actually fund raising.

Developer Digital are becoming a bit of a super power when it comes to indie publishing.

Plenty of others are doing the same.

Ah ok, thanks for sharing that. So there are indie publishers that might tap into something like Kickstarter.

Not so sure that Sony's hands are any cleaner. If you want a cleaner company, Nintendo would be a better choice.

Nintendo used to be the worst offender right next to the old Microsoft on PC.

Nintendo used to be the worst offender right next to the old Microsoft on PC.

Used to be though. MS and Sony are still considered evil for recent transgressions. By recent, I mean in the last say, 10 years.

Used to be though. MS and Sony are still considered evil for recent transgressions. By recent, I mean in the last say, 10 years.

Well it's hard to be an offender when you don't have the power to compete.

I'm sure Nintendo would do exactly as Microsoft if it was in the same situation.

I don't think the point here is to say Microsoft is worse than Sony or Nintendo cause Microsoft is not. I think people just have enough with all this timed/dlc exclusive from both side and Tomb Raider just happens to be the last straw since it is a relatively popular multiplatform game.

People don't have problem with first party exclusive (dev/ip owned by Sony or MS) or seconde party exclusive (games almost totally funded by Sony or Microsoft but not owned by them) but 3rd party exclusive specially from big publishers has never ever be popular and never will be.

People don't have problem with first party exclusive (dev/ip owned by Sony or MS) or seconde party exclusive (games almost totally funded by Sony or Microsoft but not owned by them) but 3rd party exclusive specially from big publishers has never ever be popular and never will be.

That is not true. This thread and others here contradict your statement. People have a problem any exclusive. Most are willing to put up with first party exclusives. Many are willing to put up with 2nd party exclusives. Few put up with 3rd party solutions.

I agree with you that this game was nearly the tipping point in a long building reaction to exclusives. I just hope every single person remembers that when the next exclusive comes around.

I don't really know of any recent transgressions from Microsoft. Mistakes, maybe. But evil acts? Sony was a train wreck last generation with false promises and product downgrades. Microsoft did what? Release Windows 7 and 8.1? Listen to their community? And they're constantly stapled to the wall as the evil ones.

Well it's hard to be an offender when you don't have the power to compete.

I'm sure Nintendo would do exactly as Microsoft if it was in the same situation.

I don't think the point here is to say Microsoft is worse than Sony or Nintendo cause Microsoft is not. I think people just have enough with all this timed/dlc exclusive from both side and Tomb Raider just happens to be the last straw since it is a relatively popular multiplatform game.

Nintendo can't compete? What?

People seem to have a problem when their decisions aren't rewarded and throw a fit when they don't get what they want. So they demonize the perceived cause and as usual are quick to react. Exclusives aren't inherently bad, and I really don't understand why people are so upset with them. It is what it is, imo.

What bugs me more is that it takes so long for them to release what the game is for. If the game had been announced as a time exclusive I doubt as many people would be up in arms over things. The real issue here is the game company's/publishers need to be more transparent and the gaming community needs to learn patience and stop jumping to conclusions before anyone can issue a response.

Leave the gaming community to their own devices for a few days and an entire movement will spring up.