More HTC One For Windows, info comes out.

On August 19, HTC and Microsoft are holding a press event in New York City, presumably to announce the HTC One for Windows, a new high-end phone for Verizon wireless in the US. Earlier this month, an official render was found on Verizon's servers, confirming the phone's existence.

The HTC One (M8) for Windows (the 'W8' designation may be dropped) is thought to be the same phone for Android but with Windows Phone 8.1 Update 1 on board instead. However, questions remain about the One for Windows's specifications and if they would be the same as the Android version or altered.

Windows Phone Central has acquired exact details about the features of the HTC One for Windows phone, and in short, there are no surprises, which is great news.

HTC One (M8) for Windows

• Windows Phone 8.1
  • 2.3 GHz quad-core, Qualcomm Snapdragon 801
  • 32 GB internal storage; micro SD (up to 128 GB)
  • 2 GB of RAM
  • 5-inch Full HD, Super LCD3 display with Corning Gorilla Glass 3; 441 ppi
  • 2600 mAh battery
  • HTC UltraPixel camera; 5 MP front-facing camera
  • Nano SIM
  • HTC Boomsound
  • U-Focus
  • HTC Dot View case

HTC DOT VIEW CASE lets users interact with their phone with the case closed, including unique Cortana integration:

"This case lets you see who's calling, then answer or decline the call without opening it. Just swipe to answer or simply put it to your ear. It also shows you the date, time, weather and reminders. You can also instantly access Cortana by simply swiping down."

http://www.wpcentral.com/htc-one-windows-has-cortana-integration-dot-view-case

So HTC is not jumping on the waterproofing bandwagon?

Too bad, as I would like ,my next phone to be waterproof, as I spend considerable amount of time on the water every summer, and had 3 phones damaged beyond recover.

I also do not like the armoured cases.      I just don't understand why waterproofing is not in every top of the range phone yet?  Sony and Samsung can do it, why not everyone? Cost?

I don't know if it's cost, it could be?  To date I only know of one waterproof WP and that was one from Fujitsu back in the day on WP7.5.  No ones done one since and I don't notice them much on the android side either.

So HTC is not jumping on the waterproofing bandwagon?

Too bad, as I would like ,my next phone to be waterproof, as I spend considerable amount of time on the water every summer, and had 3 phones damaged beyond recover.

I also do not like the armoured cases.      I just don't understand why waterproofing is not in every top of the range phone yet?  Sony and Samsung can do it, why not everyone? Cost?

To be honest, I've never needed a waterproof phone and wouldn't be interested in a phone that has it, especially if it came at the expense of more useful features.  The extra effort needed to waterproof ports and the covers that are required just seem like too much hassle to me.

Perhaps there are just more people that feel the same way about it as me.  If that's the case and waterproofing is a niche feature then I can understand why more manufacturers aren't interested.

Back on topic, I can't really understand why anyone would want to buy this phone from HTC unless they're only interested in a phone that has the latest specs.  The extra camera lens on the M8 is a gimmick that doesn't appear to work too well (and manages to do something badly with hardware that was easily accomplished by Nokia in software) and then there's the space on the front of the phone that's wasted just so they can slap a big HTC logo front and centre. 

But the main reason I wouldn't touch a phone by HTC is their lack of support.  They do very little to improve on Windows Phone and nothing compared to the work that Nokia put into their software.  And then there's the situation with the 8S and the lack of firmware updates for the 8X and 8S over the years.