Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

84 posts in this topic

Posted

Bye-bye $15/hr burger flippers.

http://singularityhub.com/2014/08/10/burger-robot-poised-to-disrupt-fast-food-industry/

Burger Robot Poised to Disrupt Fast Food Industry

I saw the future of work in a San Francisco garage two years ago. Or rather, I was in proximity to the future of work, but happened to be looking the other direction.

At the time, I was visiting a space startup building satellites behind a carport. But just behind them

2 people like this

Posted

And just how do they intend to "help support those who may lose work as a direct effect of restaurants adopting the robot."

:rolleyes:

Posted

Anyone remember the old automat's?

They didn't last long before, and they won't last now now, either.  People want their food made by people, not a machine.

2 people like this

Posted

Automats are still quite popular in The Netherlands. Do you mean pre-prepared fast food in a wall of little windows with coin slot doors?

Posted

And just how do they intend to "help support those who may lose work as a direct effect of restaurants adopting the robot."

They'll gift them new shoes and send them back to the street marching for $15 per hour salary demand.

3 people like this

Posted

now they just need to build robots to fill the robots automated containers and they'd be set... at least until one broke down and brought the whole store to a grinding halt

Posted

For some reason I doubt they'd  lower prices and improve quality if these machines became the norm.

4 people like this

Posted

By expanding their robot line to do the duties of all minimum wage jobs.

Posted

I thought it said 'Burger Robot Poisoned' to begin with. Thought we had a cyber revolution in the making. 

I don't know, if they removed burger flippers, at least we'll get more seasons of Jeremy Kyle.

Posted

And need we not mention that robots can work 24/7...

Farewell employees, we knew thee well.

Posted

For some reason I doubt they'd  lower prices and improve quality if these machines became the norm.

Maybe the burgers would look a bit more like the photos they are displaying at Mc Donald.

Posted

I'm all for progress but I see this coming to a fast food burger join in the near future...

"Sorry no burgers today.  Our Burger-bot had broken and no one knows how to use the grill."

I'm guessing the managers are going to have to take robotics 101 just in case the burger-bot has a malfunction.

1 person likes this

Posted

With driverless cars replacing taxis, robots replacing fast food workers and 3D printing making factory workers obsolete there aren't going to be many people left in the economy with the money to buy such products. The ruthless pursuit of capitalism will be the cause of its demise.

10 people like this

Posted

Anyone remember the old automat's?

They didn't last long before, and they won't last now now, either.  People want their food made by people, not a machine.

I don't know you about you, but my Microwave does a great job of heating up food.  I suppose I could go back to over the fire.  Seriously, in the end, if your getting a burger made by a machine then you don't care about the quality of said burger.  That's what these machines will be poised to replace.

Posted

With driverless cars replacing taxis, robots replacing fast food workers and 3D printing making factory workers obsolete there aren't going to be many people left in the economy with the money to buy such products. The ruthless pursuit of capitalism will be the cause of its demise.

This.  They're all great ideas, but at some point, humans will automate themselves out of a job.  And that will shake the foundations of businesses worldwide...  Even the CEOs will be bankrupt if no one has money to buy their robotically made hamburgers because the jobs they would have held to make money were outsourced to droids.

This has to end, and for the CEOs it's bound to end badly.

1 person likes this

Posted

If it contributes to an increase in food quality, I'm all for robotic hamburger-makers. Otherwise, I'm perfectly happy with my human-made burgers. 

Just for your interest - have you seen The Economist's special report on robotics and the future? It makes for an interesting read. If you haven't - the whole Special Report is linked here, while the impact on jobs is more specifically discussed here

1 person likes this

Posted

Exactly this. How far do we go before we have a population that actually have no jobs? It seems like a gigantic viscious circle.

1 person likes this

Posted

I'm sure that this certain fraction of millions of jobs will easily be able to find other jobs, no welfare state increase at all, nope. I can't possibly see that happening. Everyone will simply get a top tier education and flood the other markets that are so ever growing.

As for quality, how are these machines going to be maintained? The same way ice-machines currently are?

4 people like this

Posted

Certainly a large number of workers out there who need replaced.

Posted

Certainly a large number of workers out there who need replaced.

Do you really think we'll be better off with Cylons making our burgers?

Posted

Do you really think we'll be better off with Cylons making or burgers?

If they can get my f'ing order right the very first time, I'm all for welcoming our new Cylon overlords.
1 person likes this

Posted

Anyone who think companies lower the price when they save money is extremely naive, foolish and totally delusional. They'll just make more money.

Do you really think we'll be better off with Cylons making our burgers?

Well i would not mind number 6 making me some burgers to be honest.

As for quality, how are these machines going to be maintained? The same way ice-machines currently are?

They are going to be maintained by external consulting firms charging well over 80$ an hour. Any potential saving will go in the pocket of the shareholders.

Posted

This.  They're all great ideas, but at some point, humans will automate themselves out of a job.  And that will shake the foundations of businesses worldwide...  Even the CEOs will be bankrupt if no one has money to buy their robotically made hamburgers because the jobs they would have held to make money were outsourced to droids.

This has to end, and for the CEOs it's bound to end badly.

You're wrong. Droids will form an union and will eventually be paid and will be the one buying the products. Humans not shareholders of a company will be homeless and the droids will create charity to help them.

Posted

Good. I won't have to about someone ######ing up my order or doing something nasty.. And robots won't have pee hands.. I remember stopping somewhere on a road trip and a fast food cook came in peed then went back to work.. That's ######ing nasty.

Posted

What a load of short-sighted FUD. The same was said when cars, fast-food restaurants, and factories first came about. Sure, some jobs were eliminated with these innovations, but plenty of new ones were created. What jobs will come about by the automation of burger-flipping? I'm not sure; I'm not an entrepreneur. 

Additionally, I would hardly call capitalism a bad guy. We live in a world where one can get an enormous amount of calories at anytime of day just by driving a climate-controlled carriage up to a window. How is that not awesome?

4 people like this