Burger Robot Poised to Disrupt Fast Food Industry

What a load of short-sighted FUD. The same was said when cars, restaurants, and factories first came about. Sure, some jobs were eliminated with these innovations, but plenty of new ones were created. What jobs will come about by the automation of burger-flipping? I'm not sure; I'm not an entrepreneur. 

Additionally, I would hardly call capitalism a bad guy. We live in a world where one can get an enormous amount of calories at anytime of day just by driving a climate-controlled carriage up to a window. How is that not awesome?

+1 100% agreed

thats cool and all but it will just make it harder for young people to find employment at all already bad enough these places want you to have open avalibility and work part time

thats cool and all but it will just make it harder for young people to find employment at all already bad enough these places want you to have open avalibility and work part time

Perhaps this will be the case, but perhaps not. Maybe the massive amount of young people wanting to work will create new opportunities elsewhere. I don't know. 

On the flip side, more robot technicians will be needed for installation and repair of these machines. Maybe those skilled positions will be filled my the parents of these kids, thus reducing employment in an age range that truly needs work instead of in an age range which would be better off focusing on education. Again, I don't know.

What a load of short-sighted FUD. The same was said when cars, fast-food restaurants, and factories first came about. Sure, some jobs were eliminated with these innovations, but plenty of new ones were created. What jobs will come about by the automation of burger-flipping? I'm not sure; I'm not an entrepreneur. 

Additionally, I would hardly call capitalism a bad guy. We live in a world where one can get an enormous amount of calories at anytime of day just by driving a climate-controlled carriage up to a window. How is that not awesome?

http://www.heritage.org/research/reports/2010/10/technology-explains-drop-in-manufacturing-jobs 

Oh yea, tell that to the millions of job positions that no longer exist for auto workers, and soon kitchen cooks, don't forget cashiers are being replaced with DiY checkouts. With all these starting positions being removed from the workforce, where are these MILLIONS of people going to work?

+1 100% agreed

See above.

Exactly, but try getting people to realize that. "Theres always something else" isn't true. Such as...

Perhaps this will be the case, but perhaps not. Maybe the massive amount of young people wanting to work will create new opportunities elsewhere. I don't know. 

On the flip side, more robot technicians will be needed for installation and repair of these machines. Maybe those skilled positions will be filled my the parents of these kids, thus reducing employment in an age range that truly needs work instead of in an age range which would be better off focusing on education. Again, I don't know.

Oh, I'm sure your correct, if they don't quit their current jobs, which are possibly also skilled positions that required education, that may also now need to be filled by the non skilled employees who no longer have positions where they are.

http://www.heritage.org/research/reports/2010/10/technology-explains-drop-in-manufacturing-jobs 

Oh yea, tell that to the millions of job positions that no longer exist for auto workers, and soon kitchen cooks, don't forget cashiers are being replaced with DiY checkouts. With all these starting positions being removed from the workforce, where are these MILLIONS of people going to work?

See above.

Exactly, but try getting people to realize that. "Theres always something else" isn't true.

Maybe they will better themselves and get a better paying job? Someone is going to have to maintain the robots.. Or, just live off Uncle Sam..

Anyone remember the old automat's?

They didn't last long before, and they won't last now now, either.  People want their food made by people, not a machine.

Hey, I'd love to find a screw or rubber piece in my food, so I can sue. :p

See above.

Exactly, but try getting people to realize that. "Theres always something else" isn't true.

Millions in the US. Where should these millions work? Not sure. They should be quite angry at the restrictions forced on their employers which shifted their jobs overseas. Sure, you could say that these restrictions are needed to maintain x-standard of living, but unemployment won't provide that either.

Additionally, why should progress be held back by the decrease in unskilled jobs? 

Maybe they will better themselves and get a better paying job? Someone is going to have to maintain the robots.. Or, just live off Uncle Sam..

not always possible how do you go about bettering yourself when you work 2 crap jobs just to keep from being homeless or having somthing for your kids to eat or have cronic medical problems that leave you screwed with there 400$ a month cost

not always possible how do you go about bettering yourself when you work 2 crap jobs just to keep from being homeless or having somthing for your kids to eat or have cronic medical problems that leave you screwed with there 400$ a month cost

Apply yourself and stop making excuses? If there is a will, there is a way.. There are tons of government programs to help you with medical problems now. 

Do you really think we'll be better off with Cylons making our burgers?

I don't know -- but the local FF restaurant people often don't listen to what I order.

McDonald's gets it wrong about half the time.

Apply yourself and stop making excuses? If there is a will, there is a way.. There are tons of government programs to help you with medical problems now. 

thats just an example.

This kind of thing (robots making burgers) just shows flaws in society that nobody really has a good answer for yet and will be ignored until it cant be any longer

And just how do they intend to "help support those who may lose work as a direct effect of restaurants adopting the robot."

:rolleyes:

The costs saved to consumers means they have capital available to spend elsewhere in the economy.  Otherwise, computers would have led to reduced jobs and lower quality of life, when the opposite is true.

The people who reason that jobs will come out of this are wrong. Jobs will eventually become a rarity, reserved for those with college educations in particular fields. You can say all you want more jobs will pop up--but will they? How many careers/positions have been eliminated over hundreds of years due to efficiency and downsizing and technology? Yes, at it stands, there have been replacements--but eventually there will be none.

At some point, every task that can be automated will be automated by machines. When there are no longer enough positions for the unskilled to take, then what? Do you genuinely expect every person to obtain a college degree, and then fight thousands--millions--of other potential candidates for a limited amount of jobs? I mean what's happening now on a scale much larger.

We are in the beginning of a society where jobs will not be as common as they are now. When all entry-level jobs are eliminated, then what? When all jobs kids just out of high school are gone, then what? When you have to be in debt to your ears to even begin to qualify for a job, there is something wrong.

I wouldn't be surprised if this is the reality in 100 years.

You're funny. A family member is dying from terminal cancer due to bureaucracy and red tape that stretches back almost 10 years. I am ineligible for local or federal health care programs. Luckily for me I can obtain the medication required for me to function normally from a foundation, but I'm dependent on this program to continue and for me to be eligible for it. When either of these conditions changes, I will be screwed. Your statement is incorrect.

Edited by Veiva

And just how do they intend to "help support those who may lose work as a direct effect of restaurants adopting the robot."

:rolleyes:

who is "they"? how do "you" plan on helping those that may lose work?

thats just an example.

This kind of thing (robots making burgers) just shows flaws in society that nobody really has a good answer for yet and will be ignored until it cant be any longer

No.. I know a lot of people that turned the life around with kids and working two jobs.. It's called, hard work.

Maybe we should just quit removing perfectly good jobs from the market so everyone of all skill levels has the ability to work? You cannot honestly expect everyone to be able to be educated, physically fit, and mentally stable enough to work anywhere. Nor can you expect everyone to have the same means to do so.

What is your smart(ass) solution to those problems?

• Like 1

Maybe we should just quit removing perfectly good jobs from the market so everyone of all skill levels has the ability to work? You cannot honestly expect everyone to be able to be educated, physically fit, and mentally stable enough to work anywhere. Nor can you expect everyone to have the same means to do so.

What is your smart(ass) solution to those problems?

There is no solution.

Those who work can not support all those who can't or won't.

The government can not keep printing funny money, nor endlessly borrow trillions.

Eventually the USA 'entitlements' system will collapse.

There will be riots and protests.

A large number of people will probably die.

We need a much lower population.

There will probably be war or disease, and probably starvation.

Millions in the US. Where should these millions work? Not sure. They should be quite angry at the restrictions forced on their employers which shifted their jobs overseas. Sure, you could say that these restrictions are needed to maintain x-standard of living, but unemployment won't provide that either.

Additionally, why should progress be held back by the decrease in unskilled jobs? 

Ok, I'm sure you right, we should just force all these people to work for pennies a day, just so they still have job that can compete with oversea rates.

Yes, all those programs sure instantly heal everyone, all those education programs just magically instill knowledge into the brains of millions, and all those job assistance programs completely removed unemployment.

The costs saved to consumers means they have capital available to spend elsewhere in the economy.  Otherwise, computers would have led to reduced jobs and lower quality of life, when the opposite is true.

The costs saved COMPANIES the capital to spend on their ceo's and investors, customers almost never see any benefit from a company saving money other than price increases may be delayed. There are millions of auto worker positions that just do not exist anymore, people shifted to the next thing, soon when you remove what ANYBODY can shift to without having to pay for an education which is no longer possible due to any entry level positions requiring an education anyway, we don't need to become a catch 22 society like in india where everyone has a degree but there are no jobs.

No.. I know a lot of people that turned the life around with kids and working two jobs.. It's called, hard work.

PERSONAL REFERENCES are pointless, the statistics prove you wrong, not everyone is able do work that requires more than physical labor.

There is no solution.

Those who work can not support all those who can't or won't.

Eventually the USA 'entitlements' system will collapse.

There will be riots and protests.

A large number of people will probably die.

We need a much lower population.

There will probably be war or disease, and probably starvation.

The solution is to not create a problem by trying to solve a problem that doesn't exist. Quit exaggerating entitlements, fraud is a fraction of percent of people who actually need these assistance programs. Maybe if we stopped spending a ridiculously excessive amount on killing people, we could help people without jeopardizing ourselves.These problems exist only because we make them to be problems. We are currently able to solve most of our issues if we just put our minds and effort toward it.

• Like 1

The solution is to not create a problem by trying to solve a problem that doesn't exist. Quit exaggerating entitlements, fraud is a fraction of percent of people who actually need these assistance programs. These problems exist only because we make them to be problems. We are currently able to solve most of our issues if we just put our minds and effort toward it

And just where do you plan on getting the money ?

The Debt is near 18 trillion dollars for the USA alone.

The system will collapse.

• Like 2

PERSONAL REFERENCES are pointless, the statistics prove you wrong, not everyone is able do work that requires more than physical labor.

How is that my problem? 

• Like 2

You make it your problem the instant you start judging others without knowing their circumstances.

I'm not judging anyone.  These are all facts. Are you telling me that someone that is able to work as a cashier wouldn't be able to work as a receptionist for $30K a year?  

I'm not judging anyone.  These are all facts. Are you telling me that someone that is able to work as a cashier wouldn't be able to work as a receptionist for $30K a year?  

It's quite within the realms of possibility, yes.  I've seen plenty of chowderheads running a till in McD's that I wouldn't trust to walk a dog let alone a run reception desk.

And just where do you plan on getting the money ?

The Debt is near 18 trillion dollars for the USA alone.

The system will collapse.

Take it from the overinflated war budget, bring it down to more civilized levels as other countries have.

How is that my problem? 

Your problem of having to pay more isn't my problem, and I care more about people who don't have anything than I care about your selfish desire to have a slightly easier life, when millions of people are going to have an impossible life because of your failure to care. Open up your eyes, being selfish isn't going to solve your issues, caring will do more here.

You make it your problem the instant you start judging others without knowing their circumstances.

It's also his problem when anything that affects his life such as the debts of others bring him down. Whether it is education loans, medical bills, or something else, he doesn't care for the people who are suffering, he only cares that his bills go up, but doesn't realize the problems are interconnected.

Not without an education, most receptionist positions require at least an associates in business management, but you don't care about facts, you care about what you "know". Plus as FloatingFatMan said, people are already biased against these people, do you really think anyone will hire someone they don't respect when their resume shows nothing but unskilled labor?

• Like 2