usb drive fat32 car radio mp3 cant see folder

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Defiantly

Defiantly

In Capsa Vino Veritas!

• Phone: IPhone 5S

Posted 11 August 2014 - 13:35

Hi everyone, I've got an issue that I hope someone can enlighten me on.

I have a 64GB SanDisk Cruiser Fit USB drive that I copy my music too (in .mp3 format) and then use in my car.  My Radio can see the USB drive and plays the music directly from it.  I format this drive to FAT32 (the only file system the car can read) using an external tool.

I have about 6500 track on it, with 119 folders.  Everything is organized by Artist.  The car IS ABLE to see and play everything perfectly.

MY ISSUE: When I add a NEW FOLDER, the car never sees it (yet my PC does).  However, if I add mp3's to a folder that already exists, the car DOES see and plays them fine.  So, whenever I add a new artist (folder), I need to RE-FORMAT the drive, then copy everything, including the new folder, back to the drive.  Once this is done the car sees the new artist along with the older stuff.

The process of re-formatting and re-copying 6500+ tracks takes about 3 hours and is a real pain.  I don't understand why the car doesn't see folders added but does see tracks added to existing folders.

I use the RidgeCrop Format tool (http://www.ridgecrop.demon.co.uk/) with a 4096 allocation size, each time I need to reformat the USB drive.

Any help would be appreciated.

#2 +goretsky

goretsky

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 11 August 2014 - 21:19

Hello,

Have you tried changing the disk volume's label or serial number to see if that forces the car stereo to reindex the USB flash drive?

Also, you might want to check with the car stereo manufacturer for a firmware update (or report this as a bug).

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

#3 Blueclub

Blueclub

Neowinian

• Phone: OnePlus One

Posted 11 August 2014 - 21:39

I have had similar problems with my media device. The problem there was that the ASUS media player created a temp file that stored the listings of the USB when it was first inserted into the media player, after that, even if I added new media, it will not show it, until I formatted the drive. I then started deleting that temp file whenever I added new content, and it worked normally.

Once you have a fresh copy of media stored on the USB, unhide all folders/files to make sure there are no hidden folders/files on the drive, after that plug it in your car stereo, play a few songs randomly, disconnect, and connect back to the computer and see if you can any hidden files that are created, if yes then deleted them should solve it for you.

#4 OP Defiantly

Defiantly

In Capsa Vino Veritas!

Posted 12 August 2014 - 13:07

I have had similar problems with my media device. The problem there was that the ASUS media player created a temp file that stored the listings of the USB when it was first inserted into the media player, after that, even if I added new media, it will not show it, until I formatted the drive. I then started deleting that temp file whenever I added new content, and it worked normally.

Once you have a fresh copy of media stored on the USB, unhide all folders/files to make sure there are no hidden folders/files on the drive, after that plug it in your car stereo, play a few songs randomly, disconnect, and connect back to the computer and see if you can any hidden files that are created, if yes then deleted them should solve it for you.

REALLY!!!!  Ok, thank you!  I never would have looked for a temp file created my my radio.  I'll check it out tonight.

I DO have "show all files" enabled on my PC, but I wonder if this is a system file, which is still hidden with "hide protected operating system files".

Was this file placed on the root of your device, or in a custom folder?

Thanks again!

#5 OP Defiantly

Defiantly

In Capsa Vino Veritas!

Posted 12 August 2014 - 13:12

Hello,

Have you tried changing the disk volume's label or serial number to see if that forces the car stereo to reindex the USB flash drive?

Also, you might want to check with the car stereo manufacturer for a firmware update (or report this as a bug).

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

I have only changed the volume label to try to get this to work. No dice.  

Also, it looks like there is a newer firmware version out there, but they are in the "replacement radios" and are not being applied to existing units.  ...which means I'm stuck with what I have.  Although, my unit works perfectly with exception to this isuue. ...which I think is more my issue than the unit's.

#6 Blueclub

Blueclub

Neowinian

• Phone: OnePlus One

Posted 12 August 2014 - 13:13

REALLY!!!!  Ok, thank you!  I never would have looked for a temp file created my my radio.  I'll check it out tonight.

I DO have "show all files" enabled on my PC, but I wonder if this is a system file, which is still hidden with "hide protected operating system files".

Was this file placed on the root of your device, or in a custom folder?

Thanks again!

Your welcome, I hope this solves it for you. The file was placed in the root of the USB. What you can do is copy a few music files to the USB and then connect it to the radio, skip through a few tracks, and then check on your computer.

#7 OP Defiantly

Defiantly

In Capsa Vino Veritas!

Posted 13 August 2014 - 00:38

Hey everyone, I have an update.

I found no additional files on the USB drive.  However, after turning on "Show Protected System Files", I saw a System Volume folder with a file inside.

I am unable to delete the folder or the file.  I can edit the contents of the file in notepad (looks like a serial number) but afterwards the car still doesn't show a folder I added as a test.

I really appreciate everyone's input.  Sadly, no dice.

I'm starting to wonder if the allocation size I format the drive to is an issue.  I choose 4096 each time.  (as I'm formatting a 64gb drive to fat 32)

#8 JJ_

JJ_

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 13 August 2014 - 01:44

I don't think it will be saved as a system file, just a regular hidden file. Try skimming through your folders and sort files by extension. The index file should stick out like a sore thumb amongst your mp3 files. Check the folder that would come first in alphabetical order. Failing that, try a wildcard search of your USB thumb drive for any .txt file or .dat file

#9 OP Defiantly

Defiantly

In Capsa Vino Veritas!

Posted 13 August 2014 - 02:42

I don't think it will be saved as a system file, just a regular hidden file. Try skimming through your folders and sort files by extension. The index file should stick out like a sore thumb amongst your mp3 files. Check the folder that would come first in alphabetical order. Failing that, try a wildcard search of your USB thumb drive for any .txt file or .dat file

Hi JJ,

I did try that and came up with nothing.  The only additional file on drive is the System Volume.

#10 +goretsky

goretsky

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 13 August 2014 - 06:40

Hello,

I found a nice little write-up on changing the volume serial number here:  http://www.codeproje...s-serial-number

Perhaps that will be of use.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

#11 JJ_

JJ_

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 13 August 2014 - 08:38

Hi JJ,
I did try that and came up with nothing. The only additional file on drive is the System Volume.

Hmm how odd :s is this music player an after market head unit? If so, what make is it and what's the part no?