Photo
xbox one ea madden nfl 15 microsoft ea access

66 replies to this topic

#61 ZeroHour

ZeroHour

Neowinian

Posted 28 August 2014 - 20:16

That's no different to the PS1/PS2/PS3 and Xbox/360 hand over. Demos didn't just fall off the face of the world the day the new consoles released.

Erm come on ths ps3 was a pretty huge change, well the last gen was a big change to multithreaded developement.

I didnt say demos suddenly stopped but the trend is now either paying for alpha/beta access (rarer on consoles but you do get preorder only beta) or no demo at all. Given the trend its hardly a shock to hear X game dev won't release a demo.

#62 Andrew

Andrew

Once More 'Round the Sun

• Tech Issues Solved: 9

Posted 28 August 2014 - 20:32

Erm come on ths ps3 was a pretty huge change, well the last gen was a big change to multithreaded developement.

I didnt say demos suddenly stopped but the trend is now either paying for alpha/beta access (rarer on consoles but you do get preorder only beta) or no demo at all. Given the trend its hardly a shock to hear X game dev won't release a demo.

Every generation for Sony has been a big departure for them. It didn't stop demos or reduce the numbers though, the higher standards we have in games is the biggest difference. Now devs/publishers are far more aware of releasing demos because it can make or break your sales. Not because they don't have the man power or lack knowledge. Don't forget that many of the builds they use at E3/TGS/PAX etc have to be made and they've never stopped, even when many of them tell us how much pressure it adds to their timescales. Funny how it's only an issue now when you can charge for it instead.

As for paying for alpha/beta. I don't know of one game which has been strictly pay for. They've certainly been easier to access if you pre-ordered the final game, but most devs will give alternate entry methods. The trend is also to open the flood gates and try and break the servers with as many people as possible.

But as I and others have said, bringing this back to Madden, we have no demo because of EA Access. It's a cop out to say that Madden has been going downhill for years but now with Access out they decide to stop releasing them like it's a coincidence.

#63 trooper11

trooper11

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 5

Posted 29 August 2014 - 05:14

Let's get back to the more important point: EA are just bad people :laugh:

no seriously, it seems pretty clear that EA chose to not make a demo for Madden in order to test the waters with EA access. The fact that it saved them the time and money required to make a special demo build was a bonus.

Now beyond that, I like the idea of offering timed access to a full game instead of a traditional demo. So that has some value to me. Am I ok with that being offered as a perk? Not sure.

#64 vcfan

vcfan

Doing the Humpty Dance

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 09 September 2014 - 03:08

oh what is this? the fifa 15 demo is up now without needing ea access.

#65 Andrew

Andrew

Once More 'Round the Sun

• Tech Issues Solved: 9

Posted 09 September 2014 - 10:37

oh what is this? the fifa 15 demo is up now without needing ea access.

Sooo...what's Madden's excuse again?

Or are people still boiling it down to "the game's reviews have declined" and thus they're hiding the terrible updates behind a paywall now?

I fail to see how that is a positive?

Or maybe because if Fifa was behind a paywall, EU would burn EA HQ down :yes:

#66 Audioboxer

Audioboxer

Hermit Arcana

Posted 09 September 2014 - 11:01

Sooo...what's Madden's excuse again?

Or are people still boiling it down to "the game's reviews have declined" and thus they're hiding the terrible updates behind a paywall now?

I fail to see how that is a positive?

Or maybe because if Fifa was behind a paywall, EU would burn EA HQ down :yes:

It's called testing the waters as well, you don't jump in with both feet, you dip your toe in first. Right now it's crucial EA get people on board and keep them happy and don't burn down their own service a month after launch.

Hopefully, all the negative feedback makes them rethink a strategy of continuing this onto something like FIFA later down the line. Madden is a good test subject as while massively popular in the US, it's not so much in the EU. And the EU is bigger than the US.

#67 trooper11

trooper11

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 5

Posted 10 September 2014 - 03:20

I'm not sure how EA will know if the lack of a traditional demo is affecting sales though.

If Madden does really well, does that mean most gamers didn't care about that demo being missing?