Jimquisition: EA Access ... Denied

But like I said, in the UK we don't put any money down on pre-orders. I can make as many of them as I like for the consoles (which I did), or for multiple retailers on the same game to secure the best price.

Aka the way it should be worldwide :yes:

always thought you were 'murican for some reason :laugh:

So.. what's this I'm hearing about the scheme.? EA will only allow access to certain game modes and there will be limits to the amount of time you can play?

If that is true... Ouch. No wonder Sony said it was a bad deal for the consumer.

So.. what's this I'm hearing about the scheme.? EA will only allow access to certain game modes and there will be limits to the amount of time you can play?

If that is true... Ouch. No wonder Sony said it was a bad deal for the consumer.

For the early access? That sounds about right, you're able to try the game out. 

For games in the Vault, there are no time limits etc

For the early access? That sounds about right, you're able to try the game out. 

For games in the Vault, there are no time limits etc

I'd heard it was for all games... I'm in work and most games related sites are blocked but it was a tweet from EA.

Madden 15 will allow 6 hours of gameplay to the full game. That's all. Some titles will be limited to game modes, others will have a time limit.

I'd heard it was for all games... I'm in work and most games related sites are blocked but it was a tweet from EA.

Madden 15 will allow 6 hours of gameplay to the full game. That's all. Some titles will be limited to game modes, others will have a time limit.

Just read the article on Polygon and it seems it's only for the early access to Madden, which makes sense. 

Put down the pitch forks :P

If that is the case, that's not so bad - but early access should give you full access seeing as you are paying for the full game - no?

If that is the case, that's not so bad - but early access should give you full access seeing as you are paying for the full game - no?

Hm kinda. 

EA Access gives you early access to the game, you have limited access (be that game modes or time limit etc). Any progress or achievements you unlock will carry through to the full game whether you purchase that on release day or a year after. I wasn't aware that you pay for the full game before release, for the digital copy anyway. 

Although, thinking about it, FIFA 15 is going to be one of the first games you can pre-order and pre-load. If they have a similar early access, is that still going to be time boxed?

I'm not sure, but it seems that EA have a lot of caveats in place that are slowly being released to the media/gamers.

I'm beginning to think that it's not going to have a great value at all to be honest.

I'm not sure, but it seems that EA have a lot of caveats in place that are slowly being released to the media/gamers.

I'm beginning to think that it's not going to have a great value at all to be honest.

Your blowing one little thing out of proportion. It still has great value if you even only want to play one or two games in the vault per year. And considering they're never going to remove games from the vault, it's an excellent deal if you play EA games.

I'll be honest, I always thought that early access would be limited in some way. EA (or any other firm) would never give unlimited access to a game days before general release. There would be too many spoilers. People would play the games as much as possible for 5 days and then not purchase.

I'm still undecided about the value, I've paid for a full year so they have 12 months to prove it's value. I've said a few time in other threads that the value for me will come from how soon after release a game hits the vault. 

Your blowing one little thing out of proportion. It still has great value if you even only want to play one or two games in the vault per year. And considering they're never going to remove games from the vault, it's an excellent deal if you play EA games.

Nice of you to tell me what's of value to myself and that I'm blowing it out of proportion, when I'm not actually doing any such thing.

Paying to play a demo and have access to games that nobody will play once the newer yearly franchise comes out doesn't strike me as value for money to be honest.

Your confused on that point. The early access is just a demo of new games. That was clear from the start, we just didn't know the details.

You are paying for the full games in the vault.

Nice of you to tell me what's of value to myself and that I'm blowing it out of proportion, when I'm not actually doing any such thing.

Paying to play a demo and have access to games that nobody will play once the newer yearly franchise comes out doesn't strike me as value for money to be honest.

Everyone has to decide the value. People that like EA games may find more value than those that don't.

I think a lot of the confusion comes from EA Sports Pass which let you "pre-order" the sports games last gen and get early access to them.

People just associate the name "early access" with pre-orders now.

I think a lot of the confusion comes from EA Sports Pass which let you "pre-order" the sports games last gen and get early access to them.

People just associate the name "early access" with pre-orders now.

That is true, although most pc gamers probably associate "early access" with unfinished games on Steam :laugh:

That is true, although most pc gamers probably associate "early access" with unfinished games on Steam :laugh:

EA games kind of fall in that same category though, no? :rofl:

I feel like pre-orders, early access, greenlight, and all this "alpha access" nonsense we're seeing trend now just gives way towards a bad trend of paying for half-arsed nonsense.

Yes, you'll find a few good gems in the mix. I speak as someone who's put almost 200 hours into DayZ, but not every game is the same. Throwing money for guaranteed access to the next iteration with quality that's out of your hands just seems to help cater to that trend though.

I wish gamers were a little more patient. :pinch:

I wish gamers were a little more patient. :pinch:

As long as gamers support the practice in any form, on any platform, little will change. You are on the right track for sure. Gamers can only blame other gamers for encouraging companies to do this stuff.