Photo

New Gaming PC - Missing Anything? Should I Wait?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 vetDirtyLarry

DirtyLarry

®®\vers.12.vis.13.u.03.al\DL

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: LG G3

Posted 12 August 2014 - 12:55

It has been 7 years since I built my last PC. In that 7 years I only upgraded the GPU twice. So needless to say when I build a computer I like them to last me a decent amount of time, as such, I go fairly high end for what is available at the moment.

Initially I thought I would only spend around $1500, but I now see I was off by about $600.

So here is the build I am close to building.

$369.99
$339.99
$34.99
$219.99
$484.99
HDD PRIMARY: Crucial MX100
$214.99
$59.99
$169.99
$89.99
OPTICAL DRIVE: Asus BluRay Burner
$59.99 With Rebates, Etc.

All Prices are an approximation and do change from day to day slightly depending on which site I check out.
I will actually probably go with Amazon to order everything, as it winds up only being $10 more if I go through them, but I am a Prime Member, and only one item requires me to pay for shipping (the case).

Now I have two main questions.
  1. Does it make sense to hold off on the GPU? I know the 800 series from Nvidia is coming out Q4.
  2. Did I somehow overlook anything?

So I am strongly considering holding off on the GPU until the 800 series is released and using my current card, which is a 460 Ti. It would clearly be the bottleneck if I do so, but the possible pay off for waiting just seems to good not to wait, as everything about the 800 series is pointing towards massive improvements all around.

So if I should wait on the GPU, should I just wait on the whole damn thing?

I am just super excited to build this computer since it has been so long, and this thing is pretty much my dream build, and luckily right now I can afford to build it. And again keep in mind, I prefer it to last me a very long time. I will also be doing multimedia production besides just gaming, so definite Photoshop / Illustrator, and even video editing as well.

#2 DeltaXray

DeltaXray

Neowinian

Posted 12 August 2014 - 13:13

The problem with waiting is that you'll always be waiting for the next iteration, so if you're going to do it just do it :)

I believe the next round of nvidias GPUs will be focused on lower power rather than more performance, so in a gaming PC you may not see as much benefit.  A 780 is a great card and will do you well for some years to come.

#3 este

este

Neowinian Senior

Posted 12 August 2014 - 13:27

I like your build alot. The GPU you picked is awesome. Dont wait any longer :)

#4 Draconian Guppy

Draconian Guppy

LippyZillaD Council

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 12 August 2014 - 13:29

The general consensus i've seen if you don't heavily multitask i7 are burning pockets just for the sake of it. Though i'm sure someone else will chip in with performance numbers on how the i5 and i7 are closely matched.

#5 +mulligan2k

mulligan2k

Neowinian

Posted 12 August 2014 - 13:33

get that ram speed up to 2400

#6 Luc2k

Luc2k

Neowinian

Posted 12 August 2014 - 14:20

get that ram speed up to 2400

He should also get an AMD APU to actually take advantage of the frequency. /s

Personally I would wait a little more since PC components have been stagnating this year. Rumours say Maxwell will be a paper launch, however I wouldn't want to feel buyer's remorse after such a short period. As far as the current system is concerned you haven't specified its use, so I'm going to go with gaming (although I know you keep mentioning that you have very limited time for that):

- the MOBO, CPU and RAM are a waste of money for little to no performance gain

- you'll get better performance with an AMD R9 290X which can be found at around the same price

- the PSU is overkill for your intended config

- why not go for the Define XL instead of the Arc (I believe you could order the windowed panel if that's what you want)

On the other hand you say this would be your dream PC and I suppose that can justify any extra expense.

#7 Open Minded

Open Minded

Balance

Posted 12 August 2014 - 14:32

Next month Haswell-E will be ready.  From what I've been reading, the base model 6 core will be about the same price as the 4790k you have picked out.  Might be worth the month wait.

#8 OP vetDirtyLarry

DirtyLarry

®®\vers.12.vis.13.u.03.al\DL

• Phone: LG G3

Posted 12 August 2014 - 20:16

Thanks all for the replies so far.

To address a few of the comments and questions.

Although this clearly has a heavy focus on gaming, it will be used for everything, including multimedia related stuff (design, video editing, etc.).

And in fact the main reason I am building a Gaming PC again is to try and get back some of the time I no longer have for gaming. One of my biggest issues is my consoles reside in the same room we watch TV in, so the only time I can play for sure is either one my wife falls asleep or when she is not interested in watching something, which the latter is not very often. Having a Gaming PC gives me back more time to play. And the truth is my current one is just starting to show its age so it is about time to build a new one.

I am a Nvidia person and as much as I know AMD offers a better value for the buck, I am willing to pay more for sticking with what I know and like.

There is also another reason I am sticking to Nvidia. I might pick up a G-Sync monitor down the road.

I absolutely know some of the components are overkill, for example the MOBO, but I like the specs of it, and I love the simplicity and design of it. In this point in my life less is more so to speak. and while that motherboard has a decent amount of unnecessary bells and whistles, I also really like the overall simplicity of the design and the look of it. Plus ASUS has always done me good with Motherboards on my previous builds.

And as I said it is my dream build so to speak, so I am treating myself to a few things as a result.

As far as the ram, I have always been under the impression it is not always about the MHz, but if I can be convinced otherwise, I am open for sure.

Finally with the case, I am open to suggestions there. Really I just picked one of the better reviewed ones out there that was still simple looking. I am into plain normal looking cases that are easy to work with, which I have read this case is all of the above.

Oh in regards to the PSU, I always go way more than I need, it is a result of a long time ago not having a PSU that was capable of powering everything and just having some weird fear of going through it all again.

Plus I figure if down the road if I did choose to SLi that 780 GTX, i have more than enough power to do so.

Thanks all for the replies so far. (Y)

I may hold off I was not aware about the imminent release of Haswell E , so want to research that before I make any decision.

Or I think I might just go ahead and purchase it tonight so I have everything by the weekend LOL But truly still not sure on that.

#9 Draconian Guppy

Draconian Guppy

LippyZillaD Council

Posted 12 August 2014 - 20:23

Well the motherboard sure is a looker.

If you do really want long termish, why no wait a couple of weeks for haswell-e ?Already waited this long.

#10 LaP

LaP

Forget about it

• Tech Issues Solved: 4

Posted 12 August 2014 - 20:27

The problem with waiting is that you'll always be waiting for the next iteration, so if you're going to do it just do it :)

Not really tech like pci-e and sata get a refresh once in a while.

I'm not sure now is a good time. pci-e 4 is around the corner. Same for ddr 4. I think Sata express is already out but if it is not it is around the corner too.

If you absolutely need to build a new PC then do it. But if you can wait fall 2015 i would personally wait.

I bought my PC when sata 3 and pci-e 3 were around the corner and honestly i regret it a little bit cause i'm stuck with sata 2, usb 2 and pci-e 2 and my pc is still good enough to play any games i throw at it at 1080p.

#11 Draconian Guppy

Draconian Guppy

LippyZillaD Council

Posted 12 August 2014 - 20:34

Not really tech like pci-e and sata get a refresh once in a while.

I'm not sure now is a good time. pci-e 4 is around the corner. Same for ddr 4. I think Sata express is already out but if it is not it is around the corner too.

If you absolutely need to build a new PC then do it. But if you can wait fall 2015 i would personally wait.

I bought my PC when sata 3 and pci-e 3 were around the corner and honestly i regret it a little bit cause i'm stuck with sata 2, usb 2 and pci-e 2 and my pc is still good enough to play any games i throw at it at 1080p.

:laugh: 

You want the man who's deciding whether or not to buy gear this week to wait for a whole year? :p :rofl:

#12 LaP

LaP

Forget about it

• Tech Issues Solved: 4

Posted 12 August 2014 - 20:38

:laugh:

You want the man who's deciding whether or not to buy gear this week to wait for a whole year? :p :rofl:

Well he asked should i wait ...

I did not read the whole post but waiting for a new GPU the answer will always be no it's not worth it specially if you can find a good deal which is often the case when new gpus are about to be released.

At leaat the mobo has 2 sata express ports which is the most important part cause sata 3 will be a bottleneck soon enough.

[edit] BTW even if i voted for it this puppy doesn't fit you very well. I feel like i'm replying to a 45yo woman ...

#13 Circaflex

Circaflex

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2
  • Phone: hammerhead

Posted 12 August 2014 - 20:44

For the price you are better off with a 290x. But if you really want green team you might hold off until Sept or Oct worst case scenario is 800 launches at extremely high price but 7xx price drops

#14 Draconian Guppy

Draconian Guppy

LippyZillaD Council

Posted 12 August 2014 - 20:46

I did not read the whole post but waiting for a new GPU the answer will always be no it's not worth it specially if you can find a good deal which is often the case when new gpus are about to be released.

At leaat the mobo has 2 sata express ports which is the most important part cause sata 3 will be a bottleneck soon enough.

[edit] BTW even if i voted for it this puppy doesn't fit you very well. I feel like i'm replying to a 45yo woman ...

Lol the OP doesn't seem very patient if you ask me  ? :laugh:

offtopic: yeah, neither do I, but the tallied votes, what would you suggest then? :laugh:

#15 Circaflex

Circaflex

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2
  • Phone: hammerhead

Posted 12 August 2014 - 20:54

We are not even close to tapping sata3 with current and upcoming ssd's, something else will bottleneck before that