• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#16 Sikh

Sikh

Neowin Addict!

• Tech Issues Solved: 2
  • Phone: Nexus 5 PA 4.4.2 / iPhone 5

Posted 13 August 2014 - 03:37

Again, I would have agreed before I moved to Linux. However, Linux will need a third party driver to read-write ExFat. OS X was the same until 10.6.5. (source)

And again, ExFat was working fine for me on Linux until...well, until it didn't. It didn't have a problem reading the drive, just writing to it. But again, that could have been something that I did wrong, and isn't the topic of the conversation. ;)

Maybe I'll start a discussion about file systems. There are lots of variations out there, each with their own pros and cons. For this thread though, acido00 is best of leaving his drive with the NTFS file system as far as I can see.

You should definitely start a conversation on file systems. All the linux builds ive used based off debian or arch and read exFat fine. We have ubuntu and centOS servers at work and they all read and wrtie to exFAT drives fine. I dont know many Snow Leopard which is why its not a thought in my mind when I mention exFAT is supported.

im looking for to this file system dicussion thread!

#17 OP acido00

acido00

Software Developer

Posted 14 August 2014 - 12:47

I think, I have an idea. Is it possible to create a partition probably of 1GB using (exFat or Fat32) and then the rest using the MAC OSX Format (HFS+)? this way when I connect it to my Airport Time Capsule it can be detected and I can write on it wireless

Any tutorial or guide?

I think if I can make it that way, I can put on the 1GB partition software like "MacDrive" or any other free that will allow me to read on Windows the HFS+ format, so basically I can install it on windows when needed and I can access the information.

What do you think?

#18 +BudMan

BudMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 106
  • OS: Win7, Vista, 2k3, 2k8, XP, Linux, FreeBSD, OSX, etc. etc.

Posted 14 August 2014 - 14:41

Ok maybe I am missing something - why are you using ntfs, you don't list any windows machines - did I miss that?

Why don't you just format the disk in your mac book pro with apple filesystem, quite sure that supports large file sizes. Even really old 10.0 to 10.1 supports 2TB, etc.

#19 OP acido00

acido00

Software Developer

Posted 14 August 2014 - 16:42

Ok maybe I am missing something - why are you using ntfs, you don't list any windows machines - did I miss that?

Why don't you just format the disk in your mac book pro with apple filesystem, quite sure that supports large file sizes. Even really old 10.0 to 10.1 supports 2TB, etc.

yes, it should wrok on windows machines.

#20 Nick H.

Nick H.

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 17

Posted 14 August 2014 - 16:56

I think, I have an idea. Is it possible to create a partition probably of 1GB using (exFat or Fat32) and then the rest using the MAC OSX Format (HFS+)? this way when I connect it to my Airport Time Capsule it can be detected and I can write on it wireless

Any tutorial or guide?

I think if I can make it that way, I can put on the 1GB partition software like "MacDrive" or any other free that will allow me to read on Windows the HFS+ format, so basically I can install it on windows when needed and I can access the information.

What do you think?

So your Fat32 drive would have the installion file for Macdrive which you could then use on any machine to make the machine read an HFS+ partition, while the rest of the drive would be formatted in HFS+, allowing you to access those files through Time Capsule?

I can't see a problem with it in theory, although if you choose to do that you will have to have administrator rights on any machine that you wanted to connect your HDD to, in order to install the software.

As for a guide, what are you looking for? Any partition tool (GParted, for example) should be able to partition the drive for you and format each partition without an issue. Remember that it will format the drive though, so backup your data first!

#21 OP acido00

acido00

Software Developer

Posted 14 August 2014 - 17:00

So your Fat32 drive would have the installion file for Macdrive which you could then use on any machine to make the machine read an HFS+ partition, while the rest of the drive would be formatted in HFS+, allowing you to access those files through Time Capsule?

I can't see a problem with it in theory, although if you choose to do that you will have to have administrator rights on any machine that you wanted to connect your HDD to, in order to install the software.

As for a guide, what are you looking for? Any partition tool (GParted, for example) should be able to partition the drive for you and format each partition without an issue. Remember that it will format the drive though, so backup your data first!

Exactly what you just said is my idea. For admin permissions that is not a problem, wherever I will use my personal external HDD I will have the right permissions.

GParted sounds cool. I was also about to give it a try using Disk Utility to perform the partition following this guide: http://hints.macworl...110422113851848

It should works as I think.

I'm backup up my external HDD, to give it a try and if it works, I'll let you know here on this post.

Thanks

#22 protocol7

protocol7

It's Fumbles. It was always Fumbles.

Posted 14 August 2014 - 17:11

If you just want read-only HFS+ access in Windows you can install the HFS+ drivers from Apple's BootCamp package. I use them here to have read-only access to my hackintosh partition.

There's an installer here. Basically it just copies the two driver files and sets up the registry. Reboot and your HFS drives should be visible.

#23 +BudMan

BudMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 106
  • OS: Win7, Vista, 2k3, 2k8, XP, Linux, FreeBSD, OSX, etc. etc.

Posted 14 August 2014 - 19:56

Why should it work on windows - you didn't list any windows machines?

doesn't hfs explorer work? http://www.catacombae.org/hfsx.html

There are for sure ways to read and write hfs in windows machines. Why do you just buy another external if you need one for windows - and copy your files over the network to this disk be it ntfs or exfat, etc.

If this devices is going to be connect to your timecap -- then why would you use it for anything else?

#24 Nick H.

Nick H.

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 17

Posted 14 August 2014 - 20:41

Why should it work on windows - you didn't list any windows machines?

Because he might want to unplug it, take it somewhere and plug it in to a Windows machine? The same reason I was looking in to UDF a while back.

If this devices is going to be connect to your timecap -- then why would you use it for anything else?

Because the HDD isn't being used by Time Capsule as a backup. It's being used to hold files and folders that he would like to access wirelessly. The drive isn't a wireless drive, but he can connect it up to Time Capsule which would make it wireless.

#25 OP acido00

acido00

Software Developer

Posted 14 August 2014 - 20:44

I finally made it.

Elements (2 partitions)
  - Elements MS, exFat (12GB)

- MacDrive app

- Elements OS, HFS+ (990GB)

- All Videos and Music, Games, Some software.

Thanks all for all suggestions.

#26 OP acido00

acido00

Software Developer

Posted 15 August 2014 - 16:10

I just wanted to share this app which worked AWESOME on windows to read HFS+ and it is 100% free.

http://www.paragon-s...s-windows-free/

Works for Windows 8/8.1 without problems.

Pretty awesome tool for read/write access.

Regards