Microsoft confirms Rise of the Tomb Raider Xbox exclusivity deal "has a duration"

Is it ok to have first party exclusives? Even TB makes a point to say that exclusivity in ANY form, is bad for the consumer. That literally means that console gaming is bad for the consumer. You cannot separate the two. Each one of us will have to decide what we are willing to accept. Millions of consumers are happy to support the current system, hence the reason timed exclusive deals happen for Sony and MS.

It is OK due to the nature of the beast. I hate the idea of exclusives, but I also understand the reason behind them. Another thing is that you can't miss what you never had, although I'm pretty sure there would be backlash in the case of a first party game if that game were a sequel to something multi-platform (to a lesser extent if it's a scenario like Bayonetta 2).

It's funny that your crying about this. MS dime is the reason you will be playing this sooner rather than later. U will get to play TR sometime in 2016.

MS could of not helped at all, and you could be playing TR in mid 2017 or not at all, because CD/SE didn't have the funds to get more staff to get the game done.

People dog MS for pulling the $$$ and throwing it around. MS is the reason, a lot of games come out.

MS (and Sony) have thrown money around to secure exclusive games. But they have also put down $$$ to save gaming franchises we come to love and adore. With exclusivity being a perk for doing so.

Unless you know the details of it personally, why not just sit back and enjoy the gaming industry.

My eyes are no more moist than usual, but thank you for caring. And it's you're as in "you are crying".

I think we went over the "MS saved Tomb Raider from being cancelled" argument already. You have no proof that the game wouldn't have been released on all platforms in 2015 or at all, that CD "didn't have the funds to get more staff to get the game done" as the game was profitable in the end. We do have proof though that it will come later on PC and PS4 thanks to MS and Squeenix.

I very much doubt MS is the reason "a lot" of 3rd party games come out, but if you have actual proof, don't forget to link it. And calling exclusivity a perk for consumers.. why are you so selfish Showan, why don't you want people on other platforms to experience the same thing.

I won't "just sit back and enjoy the gaming industry" because they have to hear when they're screwing costumers. Surely, you're familiar with "give them an inch; they'll take a mile".

• Like 1

Gamers are what's wrong with the internet. Gamers are part of the problem of the gaming industry. Point blank..

"MS is preventing my box of choice from getting a game" ...,sob...sob...sob...

Either buy an Xbox, or shut up and wait for it to come out on ur platform choice,... Or just don't buy it at all...

Cry, cry, cry,cry...that's all everyone does is cry... Screaming "NO FAIR" all day long like a bunch of 8yr olds...

Zelda is my favorite franchise of all time, I use buy every Nintendo console ever made just to play it.

It is no longer worth me buying a Nintendo for the one game I like. And will probably never buy a Nintendo console again.

I got over it.

More people are complaining just to complain. TR sold only 7million units. But you have 15million people on the internet crying, for a game that, they were probably never intending to buy.

It's to a pint everyone wants their 15min of fame at MS expense.

No, gamers like this are what's wrong with the internet. Anyone that thinks this is a good thing is advocating against their own interests as a consumer...

There's a big difference between a first party exclusive like zelda, and making a deal to actively prevent a *multi platform game* from releasing on other platforms, which is what microsoft/square enix is doing.

They could have at least been up front about it being a 'timed exclusive' from the beginning, the initial misleading announcement that it was just an xbox exclusive is what caused this huge uproar.

• Like 1

PC gaming is larger than it ever has been, eclipsing console gaming. Tablets and smartphones are definitely popular in their own right but they don't replace PC or console gaming - they complement it. Further, Valve is putting a lot into Steam Machines, their attempt to making PC gaming more accessible than ever. PC gaming is evolving but it's certainly not at risk of disappearing any time soon.

PC gaming is bigger than it has ever been, but I'm talking specifically about high end gaming. Games that cater to high end pcs. What is the health of the high end side of the market for gaming? It is also a fact that pc sales are declining year over year, so the market is shrinking, its just not impacting gaming yet. I don't think it will though, at least for the hardcore pc gamer.

Between Valve's Steam Machine and MS' push to merge console and pc gaming platforms, I think the future is some sort of pc-like gaming platform that is not limited to just a single console.

So as a PS4 user I think its good that Microsoft is trying to buy titles for the Xbox One (even if its only timed exclusive).

You are in a small minority. Most are calling people that think like you do as anti-consumer and anti-gamer. Look at the responses here. I am almost thinking your joking, but you did not indicate that.

Plus, I really doubt you care, the old competition card is a weak play. MS could go away and someone could take their place. The ps4 is doing fine and Sony will just ride that wave. Sony will continue securing timed exclusives right along with MS, so its a wash anyway. What will keep MS in the game is cheaper pricing, more games, better pr, and a friendlier shake from the online community. Will they get all of those thing? Tough to say.

What will keep MS in the game is cheaper pricing, more games, better pr, and a friendlier shake from the online community. Will they get all of those thing? Tough to say.

theres has been few hints that indicates MS envying the steam business models, but hates to do a steam-like pricing sales, so i doubt we will see cheaper pricing on xbox stores anytime soon.

You are in a small minority. Most are calling people that think like you do as anti-consumer and anti-gamer. Look at the responses here. I am almost thinking your joking, but you did not indicate that.

Plus, I really doubt you care, the old competition card is a weak play. MS could go away and someone could take their place. The ps4 is doing fine and Sony will just ride that wave. Sony will continue securing timed exclusives right along with MS, so its a wash anyway. What will keep MS in the game is cheaper pricing, more games, better pr, and a friendlier shake from the online community. Will they get all of those thing? Tough to say.

No they are calling people who say take it on the chin cause its Microsoft who are doing it and thats fine cause they love Xbox anti-consumer and anti-gamer cause they are being that. I'm on the other side of the fence saying that Microsoft need to do deals like this because they need it to survive which if they do will keep the console market competitive in my opinion which is better for consumers and gamers on both platforms.

Yes Microsoft should drop the price more, get more games (exclusives cause if they are multiplatform people can just get it for the PS4, hence my original post about exclusivity). better pr and friendlier online community towards them are mute points because this only changes when Microsoft does more with the Xbox One.. For example instead of hijacking an already established I.P, create a new one and stop riding on the Halo series. Match the PS4 price with the kinect included, lower the price of online store games (I also want PS4 to do this) as its kind of ridiculous to charge the same amount or even more in same cases of the instore purchased hardcase, br disc game and booklet. Internet community isn't going to change its mind unless Microsoft change it for them, its not like they are just going to wake up one morning and say 'oh, I like the xbox one all of a sudden'. just because you personally like it.

No they are calling people who say take it on the chin cause its Microsoft who are doing it and thats fine cause they love Xbox anti-consumer and anti-gamer cause they are being that. I'm on the other side of the fence saying that Microsoft need to do deals like this because they need it to survive which if they do will keep the console market competitive in my opinion which is better for consumers and gamers on both platforms.

Should Microsoft invest in exclusive content? Of course. Should it pay to delay multiplatform games on other platforms and antagonise gamers? Absolutely not.

Take Titanfall, for instance. It was announced at the beginning as an Xbox exclusive and that it would also be released on PC. That gave Microsoft an advantage in the console wars without disadvantaging PC gamers or annoying fans of an existing franchise. That to me was a prudent business strategy. This deal comes across as ill-conceived and desperate, especially when the PS4 version of Tomb Raider outsold the XB1 2:1.

Where's the outrage over Ninja T's Hellblade timed exclusivity? This is the type of game that might make me bite on next-gen as it could take forever to make it's way to the PC. Definitely prefer Sony's exclusives. If there an Enhanced PS4 Wipeout release, I'll probably bite the bullet and get a PS4.

Anyone remember this:  Xbox One users will have to wait 1yr for some of the DLC content for Destiny.

Xbox fans were told to suck it up and get over it

The bottom line is this,  Microsoft has something that can't it's rivals can't compete with and that's $$$.

And this seems to be making people upset to no end.

It seems that any company can do these type of things but Microsoft.

I guess Microsoft will be in a proverbial rock and hard place no matter what they do,.

And this is coming from an owner of both of these consoles.

Skyrim is a HUGE deal and Microsoft had time exclusive rights to DLC just the same back then...

This goes back and forth really. As a gamer, I'm pretty sure we care for none of this.

But for what it's worth, a timed-exclusive game is somewhat of a bigger deal than just DLC content. Many people might not even touch the DLC (as I have some DLC that I haven't even touched for that matter).

why are ps fans greedy. you have uncharted, which is a game id rather play than tomb raider

Your comment might make sense if PS fans wanted Tomb Raider as a PS exclusive, but what you're saying is dumb and doesn't make sense.

Gamers wanting games should not be considered greedy. Gamers wanting games to be exclusive is what I'd consider greedy...

I don't really understand the point of the deal, especially since it goes against what Phil Spencer said about owning IP rights and Microsoft developing exclusives on its own.

I've been pretty disappointed with many of Phil's actions so far, such as getting in that tiff with Crytek over the rights to the Ryse IP and what he's done on the Windows and Windows Phone side of things. The former case is particularly absurd, because Microsoft tried to argue it owned the rights to the IP when there was nothing to indicate that (not even in the game or its packaging). Why not just offer to buy it? Crytek has said many times it plans to go F2P, and Microsoft has the money.

• Like 4

I don't really understand the point of the deal, especially since it goes against what Phil Spencer said about owning IP rights and Microsoft developing exclusives on its own.

I've been pretty disappointed with many of Phil's actions so far, such as getting in that tiff with Crytek over the rights to the Ryse IP and what he's done on the Windows and Windows Phone side of things. The former case is particularly absurd, because Microsoft tried to argue it owned the rights to the IP when there was nothing to indicate that (not even in the game or its packaging). Why not just offer to buy it? Crytek has said many times it plans to go F2P, and Microsoft has the money.

Phil is playing the psychological game. He doesn't want to own the IP, but he want you to believe that the only way to play is on Xbox.

Let's use Mass Effect as example. ME is Multi-plat, but most people right now think that ME is an Xbox Game.

When the next iterations of TF or Sunset:OD drop, most are goin to associate it with Xbox.

The core gamer is the minority when it comes to console sales.

CoD is mostly referenced to being an Xbox game...

What MS is doing with Tomb Raider is this... Make you believe that this game is now Xbox only...

There are people who aren't like us, who have no clue about things like this.

Where's the outrage over Ninja T's Hellblade timed exclusivity?

It's a new IP from a little known developer - it's not even close to comparable. More importantly, a lot of people here have played previous Tomb Raider games on PC and PlayStation and have a legitimate grievance with Microsoft's abusive tactics.

• Like 1

Phil is playing the psychological game. He doesn't want to own the IP, but he want you to believe that the only way to play is on Xbox.

Let's use Mass Effect as example. ME is Multi-plat, but most people right now think that ME is an Xbox Game.

When the next iterations of TF or Sunset:OD drop, most are goin to associate it with Xbox.

What MS is doing with Tomb Raider is this... Make you believe that this game is now Xbox only...

its also known as being deceit-ful-####

• Like 1

It's a new IP from a little known developer - it's not even close to comparable. More importantly, a lot of people here have played previous Tomb Raider games on PC and PlayStation and have a legitimate grievance with Microsoft's abusive tactics.

You are right about the comparison of the new IP, though Ninja Theory is far from little known. I honestly don't think that many people really care. PS4 has a clear edge and their supporters are just flexing right now. We're #1, what's up with an XBone exclusive?

I don't consider it abusive, it's not good for gamers but everyone does it. If XBOne had Sony's exclusives, I'd have one right now.

You are right about the comparison of the new IP, though Ninja Theory is far from little known.

I looked through their games catalogue and the only title I recognise is DmC: Devil May Cry, which was far from a major success. They certainly aren't well known.

I looked through their games catalogue and the only title I recognise is DmC: Devil May Cry, which was far from a major success. They certainly aren't well known.

Well known, and sales are two different things. Enslaved, Heavenly Sword, and DmC are all well know and critical if not sales' success' depending on the standard. Heavenly Sword may be the most well produced game ever. They are very well known within the gaming community.

I would stick with new IP as oppose to Ninja Theory not being well known in the gaming industry.

• Like 1

Well known, and sales are two different things. Enslaved, Heavenly Sword, and DmC are all well know and critical if not sales' success' depending on the standard. Heavenly Sword may be the most well produced game ever. They are very well known within the gaming community.

I would stick with new IP as oppose to Ninja Theory not being well known in the gaming industry.

Ninja Theory's explanation is that there's only 12 people on the team working on the game.

I don't think that's the case in many of those situations. I think this is a case of Microsoft wanting exclusives in any way -- be it DLC, timing, etc. That's how Microsoft has always been, and while Phil talks a big game, he hasn't done a whole lot beyond offering a Kinect-free bundle, which was going to happen eventually.

I just think it's a waste of time. Eventually the PS4 will get it, and while it likely won't get as many sales as it did if it was day-and-date with the Xbox One version, it's not going to be hurting. This isn't last generation when Microsoft had a massive lead in the U.S. I'd much prefer to see Phil do what he claimed he was going to do and build new IP or reinvigorate existing IP. Not that the Xbox One is lacking in exclusives, but this deal just doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

• Like 1

No actually if you look at the responses to your post, they are calling out ANYONE that supports this kind of practice, regardless of the reason way.

Yes Microsoft should drop the price more, get more games (exclusives cause if they are multiplatform people can just get it for the PS4, hence my original post about exclusivity). better pr and friendlier online community towards them are mute points because this only changes when Microsoft does more with the Xbox One.. For example instead of hijacking an already established I.P, create a new one and stop riding on the Halo series. Match the PS4 price with the kinect included, lower the price of online store games (I also want PS4 to do this) as its kind of ridiculous to charge the same amount or even more in same cases of the instore purchased hardcase, br disc game and booklet. Internet community isn't going to change its mind unless Microsoft change it for them, its not like they are just going to wake up one morning and say 'oh, I like the xbox one all of a sudden'. just because you personally like it.

Dropping the price of the console with kinect to match the ps4 would do nothing. The gaming community threw out the idea of having Kinect around, so MS did what was asked of them and lowered the price and removed Kinect.

My personal opinion has no barring on this topic. Do I need to question your personal opinion on it? Nope, I don't stoop to that.

The online community does sometimes go overboard with its treatment of companies that do something stupid and then hold a grudge even after they have turned it around. I absolutely agree that MS has to keep making the right choices to change that, but the online community isn't blameless when it comes to taking issues too far (This is not a MS thing, its an internet thing). MS has to work aggressively to turn that general opinion around. They seem to be doing that, so hopefully its just a matter of time before that wave of negative reactions start to cool.

MS should offer new ip, thankfully they seem to be doing that as well.

Well when you word it like that, it sounds like a clear case to sue.

A better example of a situation like this would be Bayonetta 2 on the WiiU or Injustice on the PS4.

I don't think that's the case in many of those situations. I think this is a case of Microsoft wanting exclusives in any way -- be it DLC, timing, etc. That's how Microsoft has always been, and while Phil talks a big game, he hasn't done a whole lot beyond offering a Kinect-free bundle, which was going to happen eventually.

The thing is that Sony has adopted the same strategy, so MS basically must continue the practice as well or find a way to counter it.

Phil was instrumental in changing the pr tone to one of a focus on gaming. That is huge. It sounds trivial, but that pr message is what garnered Sony big props among many gamers, leading to a solidly positive outlook before it even launched.

The thing is that Sony has adopted the same strategy, so MS basically must continue the practice as well or find a way to counter it.

Phil was instrumental in changing the pr tone to one of a focus on gaming. That is huge. It sounds trivial, but that pr message is what garnered Sony big props among many gamers, leading to a solidly positive outlook before it even launched.

Sony has been even less successful than Microsoft when it comes to timed exclusives, though, so it's not like there's any sort of arms race. Even if that's the case, why not work with third-party developers and publishers to bring exclusives to the platform? Examples being "Dead Rising 3," "Ryse," "Quantum Break," "Sunset Overdrive," etc. These are all quality games from respected developers that are exclusive to the console. Even if the franchises eventually goes multiplatform, they're still console sellers and the first game is still exclusive. Plus the added attention will give developers extra support from Microsoft's technical staff to push the Xbox One to what it's capable of.

Timed exclusives? Not a whole lot of benefit there. Especially when a game isn't a big-selling title. I wish both Microsoft and Sony would get out of this habit.

Sony has been even less successful than Microsoft when it comes to timed exclusives, though, so it's not like there's any sort of arms race. Even if that's the case, why not work with third-party developers and publishers to bring exclusives to the platform? Examples being "Dead Rising 3," "Ryse," "Quantum Break," "Sunset Overdrive," etc. These are all quality games from respected developers that are exclusive to the console. Even if the franchises eventually goes multiplatform, they're still console sellers and the first game is still exclusive. Plus the added attention will give developers extra support from Microsoft's technical staff to push the Xbox One to what it's capable of.

Timed exclusives? Not a whole lot of benefit there. Especially when a game isn't a big-selling title. I wish both Microsoft and Sony would get out of this habit.

I guess (or rather hope) this whole buying timed exclusives is a stop-gap measure while they build-out first-party/second-party exclusives (even something like Ryse that goes to PC after first year). Don Mattrick's regime really damaged their first party portfolio and Phil Spencer is partially to blame for what happened under him because he was still the person looking after games.

Let's hope he got the message and is actually doing more than buying timed exclusives.

I guess (or rather hope) this whole buying timed exclusives is a stop-gap measure while they build-out first-party/second-party exclusives (even something like Ryse that goes to PC after first year). Don Mattrick's regime really damaged their first party portfolio and Phil Spencer is partially to blame for what happened under him because he was still the person looking after games.

Let's hope he got the message and is actually doing more than buying timed exclusives.

Spencer is still to blame. See GoW 4 announcement.