Microsoft confirms Rise of the Tomb Raider Xbox exclusivity deal "has a duration"

It doesn't even matter how old the franchise is, I mean hell, they took the time to reboot it with the newest game, that says to me that the fanbase was shrinking and they needed to draw in newer fans.  

you are pulling at straws here.  shrinking fanbase, time to reboot...

the game has huge amounts of fans, which Bayonetta never will have, and this fans are upset.

you seem to dismiss this as if was nothing!

And for all of that it's had solid, even great, review scores and the gameplay/combat is deeper than most games if you bother to take the time to learn it.

Yeah, sure.  Yet it is funny that you still think it is appropriate comparison to tomb raider! 

It doesn't even matter how old the franchise is,

Hell yeah it does.  A franchise that survive 18 years and still sells 6 million copies of a new game is important, ok.  One of the Hollywoods best paid actresses Angelina Jolie is Tomb Raider, that is of some consideration too.

Oh , boo hoo, yet I get a replay full of your knee jerk rage just like the rest who somehow were unable to understand what "in 2015" meant when MS said it a few times. 

If anything, MS message was not clear.   If the message was, you would not see such backlash. 

But I see now that you have to resort to posting "boo hoo" in your reply.

I think that after such remark, I might as well retire from this thread for the day. Very mature of you. Keep it up.

ps: you are a moderator too...

Or someone else just decided to sell out?  :ermm:

This is not just a publisher or a corporation's fault. Agreeing to the deal is just as bad as offering it. I see no reason to bash anyone in particular, this just is what it is. If you dislike it, speak with your wallets and don't buy it. But regardless of how annoying timed exclusives might be, they are limited. 80% of the remaining frustration any gamer has over timed exclusives is really just jealousy and impatience.

it would be one thing if it was 100% exclusive. But a timed exclusive will end. I don't want to be the one to say, "be happy you're getting it at all", but really this isn't new to the gaming world. Speak to anyone who has waited on Monster Hunter games to release outside Japan, or anything that's not a AAA title out of Japan. It can take months to years for them to reach foreign shores.

Sometimes you just have to be patient for something.

PS. If it was a timed exclusive for the PS4, I'm sure everyone would be singing a different tune.

Your response is a dodge at best. Deals do not form the way galaxies and stars do, try again.

• Like 1

Your response is a dodge at best. Deals do not form the way galaxies and stars do, try again.

It was sarcasm. My point is, deals are not one-sided affairs. A publisher/company can't just walk up and buy you if you aren't selling.

It takes two parties to make a deal.

If anything, MS message was not clear.   If the message was, you would not see such backlash. 

But I see now that you have to resort to posting "boo hoo" in your reply.

I think that after such remark, I might as well retire from this thread for the day. Very mature of you. Keep it up.

ps: you are a moderator too...

Like your rage reply to my post was mature?   The message was clear, again, what do you think "in 2015" means exactly?  Does everything need to be spelled out to people nowadays? 

It was sarcasm. My point is, deals are not one-sided affairs. A publisher/company can't just walk up and buy you if you aren't selling.

It takes two parties to make a deal.

I'm just not understanding why you quoted me, when I blamed neither party specifically, but rather all parties involved. Neither side accidentally made the deal, and because of that, neither side should be excluded when it comes to blame.

Questions shouldn't need to be asked, that's why there's a negative view around this. Even with the clarifications there's a couple unknowns around the time and the platforms it will launch on after.

MS should clarify when the game will come to other platforms? Maybe SE should, but again, since when has that been a thing for any timed exclusive. Where have you guys been all of these years?

The only reason this is a thing is because of a single word missing.

So if MS has said "Coming first to Xbox One, exclusively in 2015", then it would be no different than all of the other third party exclusives that Sony or MS had announced. Because they omitted the word 'first', people blew up and demanded that MS suffer the consequences.

MS should clarify when the game will come to other platforms? Maybe SE should, but again, since when has that been a thing for any timed exclusive. Where have you guys been all of these years?

The only reason this is a thing is because of a single word missing.

So if MS has said "Coming first to Xbox One, exclusively in 2015", then it would be no different than all of the other third party exclusives that Sony or MS had announced. Because they omitted the word 'first', people blew up and demanded that MS suffer the consequences.

I would never clarify when a game is coming to a competitor, even if it were on the same day.

If Sony really wants to know whats going on with ROTTR and the deal w/MS, I don't think it would be too hard for Sony reps to find out. 

I really like Shuhei Yoshida,  but I'm not buying the "We didn't know anything about this" role.  He's not a low on the Sony totem pole.

I would never clarify when a game is coming to a competitor, even if it were on the same day.

I wanted to make some snarky comment about PC, however there's no doubt in the fact that MS considers its own platform, Windows, as competition. What a schizophrenic company. And people wonder why they get hit with negativity from all sides.

probably still a "Microsoft exclusive". sort of like DR3 and Ryse. Comes out on xbox, then around a year later hits Windows.

I doubt it's even long, they say 2015, so come January 2016 I expect it on everything else, so 2 months if it's a November "holiday" release which it could be, or 3-4 months tops.  Nothing we haven't seen before and nothing we're not going to ever see done again.

It's amazing how people can't let things go.

MS gave CD/SE $$$ for some kind of rights to ROTTR. It is, what it is.

Just to see the "CD/SE betrayed its fans." " Microsoft is holding ROTTR hostage from its loyal fans"... Insert some kind of rant here...

There are options out there to play this game right away, when it releases. All you need is a 360, One, or PC, buy ROTTR insert disc (or download from a digital store) and ur up and going.

Don't have either of those when ROTTR launches, then wait it out. There will be plenty of games to play by the time TR drops anyways.

......Or I could just not buy ROTTR, or any future TR game, and still have plenty of games to play otherwise.

I've owned every console release of a Tomb Raider game.  Now I'm done without a second thought.

It's amazing how people can't let things go.

MS gave CD/SE $$$ for some kind of rights to ROTTR. It is, what it is.

Just to see the "CD/SE betrayed its fans." " Microsoft is holding ROTTR hostage from its loyal fans"... Insert some kind of rant here...

There are options out there to play this game right away, when it releases. All you need is a 360, One, or PC, buy ROTTR insert disc (or download from a digital store) and ur up and going.

Don't have either of those when ROTTR launches, then wait it out. There will be plenty of games to play by the time TR drops anyways.

I guess they should have just bought SE and made it life long Xbox/PC exclusive. Sony does it all the time and that approach seems to be ok with most people. That's the reason MS paid for ROTTR, to keep it away from PS anyway. I don't think they care much when it comes to PC.

I have no idea how much it will cost to buy SE

I guess they should have just bought SE and made it life long Xbox/PC exclusive. Sony does it all the time and that approach seems to be ok with most people. That's the reason MS paid for ROTTR, to keep it away from PS anyway. I don't think they care much when it comes to PC.

I have no idea how much it will cost to buy SE

They wouldn't have to get it all just the IP they want, it's not the first time someone has sold off parts of a studio or just specific IP, it happens.  Like when they bought Gears from Epic, why buy all of Epic if all you wanted was Gears?  

Anyways, I haven't played every TR, I only played the original 3 and the newest reboot which I haven't actually finished (left it at the very last save point before the final fight).  I'll play this new one when the time comes, why do I care if it's not on day 1?  I wasn't actually going to spend $60 on this game to begin with, I got TR when it was on sale for the 360 for $30 iirc.    Some people are taking things way too personal, it's just games, man there's a number of games I would have liked to play but didn't because I don't have the time or feel like spending the cash for a PS3, even now.  But I don't lose any sleep over it in the end, I've played every MGS except for 4 because I never got a PS3.  And since we're talking about games that were multiplatform and went exclusive, what about MGS4 actually, I mean they released versions of 2 for the Xbox and 3 for the 360 but what about 4?    I didn't flip out about not getting 4 on Xbox, and one could argue that MGS is just as big of a franchise as TR is, so yeah, nothing new here.   So i'm guessing this time around Sony didn't want to pay for MGS5 to be exclusive to PS4, or maybe Konami just didn't want to think about that type of deal and made it multiplatform period, up to them.