Photo

You can buy 2000mah batteries for your DS4

ps4 dualshock 4 ds4 battery

25 replies to this topic

#1 +Audioboxer

Audioboxer

Hermit Arcana

Posted 13 August 2014 - 16:10

Just noticed this thanks to a comment on GAF, they are on Ebay. Picked up two for around £8 for my controllers.

Look easy to replace - https://www.ifixit.c...placement/22074

Will report back on my findings.

#2 DeltaXray

DeltaXray

Neowinian

Posted 13 August 2014 - 17:04

Nice one, replacement looks easy. Let us know how it goes. Just hope they are good quality so don't catch fire or something.

I'm am still baffled as to why Sony included such abysmal batteries in the DS4 :/

#3 trooper11

trooper11

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 5

Posted 14 August 2014 - 02:28

Nice find, let us know if it works out Audioboxer. I will pick these up immediately if they work.

The battery life for these controllers leaves a lot to be desired.

#4 68k

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4

Posted 14 August 2014 - 04:07

I'd leave the rear case off during the first charge just in case the batteries are of poor quality and swell (there's good Chinese batteries, and bad ones). If they do (swell), remove them immediately and get place them outdoors for a while to cool.

#5 Vandalsquad

Vandalsquad

Neowinian

Posted 17 August 2014 - 15:12

Just need the ability to disable the light bar already. Let us know if you have any success over an extended period.

I won't be wasting my time with 3rd party batteries. My GoPro, Digital Camera, Galaxies.. All have double capacity unoffical spares and after a few good uses they turn to trash even with the increase in mAh. The GoPro being the worst offender. Cheap ones, more expensive ones. I've found them all never to last. And the constant recharging DS4 controllers need doesn't highten my faith.

#6 OP +Audioboxer

Audioboxer

Hermit Arcana

Posted 17 August 2014 - 15:16

Just need the ability to disable the light bar already. Let us know if you have any success over an extended period.

I won't be wasting my time with 3rd party batteries. My GoPro, Digital Camera, Galaxies.. All have double capacity unoffical spares and after a few good uses they turn to trash even with the increase in mAh. The GoPro being the worst offender. Cheap ones, more expensive ones. I've found them all never to last. And the constant recharging DS4 controllers need doesn't highten my faith.

If you don't mind opening the controller you can unplug the lightbar cable.

#7 Lamp0

Lamp0

Neowinian Senior

Posted 17 August 2014 - 15:34

Why do people think that disabling the lightbar is going to give you a ton more battery? It's not. Turning down the lightbar to dim gives a good hour & a half, turning it off is barely going give you 30 minutes on top of that.

If your really want more battery time turn off the rumble.

#8 Excelsis

Excelsis

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 17 August 2014 - 16:11

Why do people think that disabling the lightbar is going to give you a ton more battery? It's not. Turning down the lightbar to dim gives a good hour & a half, turning it off is barely going give you 30 minutes on top of that.

On PC with the Xinput wrapper driver you can disable the lightbar and I remember people saying it gives the DS4 about the same battery life as a DS3, if not a little more.

#9 DeltaXray

DeltaXray

Neowinian

Posted 17 August 2014 - 17:59

Your math makes no sense. 'Dim' is 50% brightness, so if reducing output by 50% gives an hour an a half it is reasonable to expect reducing it to 0 would double that...

#10 Vandalsquad

Vandalsquad

Neowinian

Posted 18 August 2014 - 07:49

If you don't mind opening the controller you can unplug the lightbar cable.

I would rather it just disable when not in use or charging etc.

I think tests have been done showing how much longer the controller lasts on neogaf, Doubling it or more if I remember correctly. 

#11 compl3x

compl3x

Feels good, dunnit?

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S4

Posted 18 August 2014 - 09:21

idk if I'd risk putting El Cheapo batteries in my PS4 controller.

#12 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 18 August 2014 - 10:40

I'd leave the rear case off during the first charge just in case the batteries are of poor quality and swell (there's good Chinese batteries, and bad ones). If they do (swell), remove them immediately and get place them outdoors for a while to cool.

Just look at the C rating for charging on them. either way unless the batteries are broken they won't swell. since it charges over USB, and well it's rather impossible for a USB charger to deliver enough power to go over a 1C rating on 2000mah battery ;)

#13 Lamp0

Lamp0

Neowinian Senior

Posted 18 August 2014 - 17:21

On PC with the Xinput wrapper driver you can disable the lightbar and I remember people saying it gives the DS4 about the same battery life as a DS3, if not a little more.

I think tests have been done showing how much longer the controller lasts on neogaf, Doubling it or more if I remember correctly. 

I can't imagine the lightbar draining that much battery.

Your math makes no sense. 'Dim' is 50% brightness, so if reducing output by 50% gives an hour an a half it is reasonable to expect reducing it to 0 would double that...

But their are 3 settings Bright, Meduim then Dim. According to tests, dropping from Bright to Meduim gives 50 minutes extra life, going to down Dim gives another 30 minutes. Dim is probably about 20% brightness.

#14 Aergan

Aergan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 6
  • OS: Xubuntu 14.04.1 / Server 2012 R2 / Ubuntu Server 14.04.1
  • Phone: Sony Xperia Z1

Posted 18 August 2014 - 17:52

Looks very similar to the battery replacement method for the DS3.

#15 dead.cell

dead.cell

My Body My Temple

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy S5 Active

Posted 18 August 2014 - 17:53

That's pretty cool, I might pick one up for my PC then. Was undecided on whether I'd want a PS4 or XBO controller. The PS4 controller really feels a lot better, despite my past preference of a 360 over the PS3 controller.

I'll have to look into this.