You can buy 2000mah batteries for your DS4

Nice one, replacement looks easy. Let us know how it goes. Just hope they are good quality so don't catch fire or something.

I'm am still baffled as to why Sony included such abysmal batteries in the DS4 :/

I'd leave the rear case off during the first charge just in case the batteries are of poor quality and swell (there's good Chinese batteries, and bad ones). If they do (swell), remove them immediately and get place them outdoors for a while to cool.

Just need the ability to disable the light bar already. Let us know if you have any success over an extended period.

I won't be wasting my time with 3rd party batteries. My GoPro, Digital Camera, Galaxies.. All have double capacity unoffical spares and after a few good uses they turn to trash even with the increase in mAh. The GoPro being the worst offender. Cheap ones, more expensive ones. I've found them all never to last. And the constant recharging DS4 controllers need doesn't highten my faith.

Just need the ability to disable the light bar already. Let us know if you have any success over an extended period.

I won't be wasting my time with 3rd party batteries. My GoPro, Digital Camera, Galaxies.. All have double capacity unoffical spares and after a few good uses they turn to trash even with the increase in mAh. The GoPro being the worst offender. Cheap ones, more expensive ones. I've found them all never to last. And the constant recharging DS4 controllers need doesn't highten my faith.

If you don't mind opening the controller you can unplug the lightbar cable.

Why do people think that disabling the lightbar is going to give you a ton more battery? It's not. Turning down the lightbar to dim gives a good hour & a half, turning it off is barely going give you 30 minutes on top of that.

If your really want more battery time turn off the rumble.

Why do people think that disabling the lightbar is going to give you a ton more battery? It's not. Turning down the lightbar to dim gives a good hour & a half, turning it off is barely going give you 30 minutes on top of that.

On PC with the Xinput wrapper driver you can disable the lightbar and I remember people saying it gives the DS4 about the same battery life as a DS3, if not a little more.

Your math makes no sense. 'Dim' is 50% brightness, so if reducing output by 50% gives an hour an a half it is reasonable to expect reducing it to 0 would double that...

If you don't mind opening the controller you can unplug the lightbar cable.

I would rather it just disable when not in use or charging etc.

I think tests have been done showing how much longer the controller lasts on neogaf, Doubling it or more if I remember correctly. 

I'd leave the rear case off during the first charge just in case the batteries are of poor quality and swell (there's good Chinese batteries, and bad ones). If they do (swell), remove them immediately and get place them outdoors for a while to cool.

Just look at the C rating for charging on them. either way unless the batteries are broken they won't swell. since it charges over USB, and well it's rather impossible for a USB charger to deliver enough power to go over a 1C rating on 2000mah battery ;)

On PC with the Xinput wrapper driver you can disable the lightbar and I remember people saying it gives the DS4 about the same battery life as a DS3, if not a little more.

I think tests have been done showing how much longer the controller lasts on neogaf, Doubling it or more if I remember correctly. 

I can't imagine the lightbar draining that much battery.

Your math makes no sense. 'Dim' is 50% brightness, so if reducing output by 50% gives an hour an a half it is reasonable to expect reducing it to 0 would double that...

But their are 3 settings Bright, Meduim then Dim. According to tests, dropping from Bright to Meduim gives 50 minutes extra life, going to down Dim gives another 30 minutes. Dim is probably about 20% brightness.

That's pretty cool, I might pick one up for my PC then. Was undecided on whether I'd want a PS4 or XBO controller. The PS4 controller really feels a lot better, despite my past preference of a 360 over the PS3 controller.

I'll have to look into this.

I can't be bothered digging up the tweet but Yosp mentioned that developers have the ability to turn the lightbar off. It's possible, but we don't have the option as users.

Maybe one day they'll give us access.

idk if I'd risk putting El Cheapo batteries in my PS4 controller.

Seems like Sony already did.  :rofl:

• Like 1

Sony said the Dim setting is 50% brightness.

Oh Really? I didn't know that. Seems pretty dim for 50% though.

Still, the lightbar i no where close to the kind of battery drain that many folks assume.

Very easy to change over, 4 screws on the back, one ribbon cable for the light bar and then you swap the battery. Rated at 2000mah compared to Sony's 1000mah. Seriously doubt they are really 2000mah, but even if averaging 1500mah it should add an hour or two before needing to charge again.

The only annoying thing is 99% one of the triggers will pop out when you disassemble and it has an annoying wee spring you have to line up. Bit footery, but a minute or two of patience and you're fine.

Now to charge both up and see.

• 3 weeks later...

Word of warning I think these batteries are even worse than those in the DS4 after a lot of testing.

Maybe some chinese knock offs are better than others but not the ones I bought. Will not be modding my new DS4. It's easy to unplug the lightbar cable mind you, if anyone wants more battery and is playing a game that doesn't need it.

This might depend on where people play but I've never really had much of a problem with playing games while connected to the console. Just buy an extra long charge cable.

Either the battery is 2000mah or it isn't... if its worse than the original, it isn't, or the charger for some reason isn't capable of charging it. You could try to connect it to a 2.1A iPad or other tablet charger. Connecting it to a proper computer charger like we use on LiPo rc batteries would be able to tell it's real capacity though, but I'm not sure if LiPo chargers are compatible with LiIon.