Has owning a tablet changed your life for the better?

if you want to get technical, a tablet is also a personal computer

Well, yeah.  I mean, technically there's a difference between x86 Tablet PCs that run desktop operating systems, over ARM tablets that run mobile operating systems, however if you want to get really technical, the latter is also a computer that is personal.

My Surface Pro 3, i7 model replaced my desktop (with the docking station for the Surface Pro 3 that I will get in a few days, but also without it), my laptop and added a tablet experience to my life. It has significantly improved my everyday life in general. A tablet is definitely worth it, being so mobile and easy to carry around (or walk around in your home).

no not really.     i had nexus 7, but at the time i also had nexus 5, and i did not find the real estate essential for portable tasks...   for everything else i have a desktop.  or laptop.

really, i am starting to feel for people with good pcs, the tablets are unnecessary luxury. it you have one work laptop for both you and the missus, then having a tablet to use then the other using the laptop is handy.   otherwise it is a bit pointless.   also maybe for the travel, if you do a lot of it.

It's just more convenient for watching films in the bed (I  mean, all kind of films :shifty: ).

All I use my tablet for is watching videos in bed.

It is convenient. It's a very portable presentation/reading/browsing machine. But it's not indispensable, not like a PC or a phone.

It is convenient. It's a very portable presentation/reading/browsing machine. But it's not indispensable, not like a PC or a phone.

My thoughts too.

I read and study a lot - books, manuals, web articles that I've queued up, podcasts, screencasts and conference videos. A tablet is a very convenient medium to consume all this stuff.

Sure, I could do this on my laptop or desktop, but it's not an either or proposition. Why not have the best of each world? Some things are more convenient on a tablet.

The killer app for me would be note taking with a stylus, on a device the size of the current iPad mini. I love my fountain pens and notebooks, but I would give them up for a decent writing experience on a tablet.

Unfortunately, I've yet to come across a tablet that I'd be happy to write on. The current tech lags way too much. We're very far away from replicating the experience of writing with pen on paper.

Not really.

The hi-rez screen is fantastic.

But inputting anything is slow.

Gets tiresome quickly, holding it.

Must worry about dropping it.

Easy to have stolen.

A lot of software limits and problems.

Then you tend to need to buy a keyboard to turn the tablet back in to a laptop. :s

I use my computer cluster mainly for modeling, graphics and video editing, for which portables aren't quite yet ready for primetime.

The one workstation I use for browsing etc. has been largely shoved aside a bit in favor of tablets and my LG OGP phablet (98 gig), save for using office and publishing software.

How much do I use the OGP? I carry 3 spare 3140 mAh batteries.

I'm using my tablet fairly often. Be it to entertain myself during the train commute or to read while in bed or on the toilet (come on, I'm not the only one to do that). So yes, owning one has enhanced my life.

I use my computer much more than my tablet because I enjoy gaming and developing much more than I enjoy watching videos on a tablet.

Yes, you can game and develop on a tablet to, but I like it on the computer better.

I use my tablet 30% of the time while I use my computer 70% of the time.

Did tablet changed my life?  Before the Surface 3 Pro, no, not at all.  But with the Surface, I have both a tablet and an ultrabook in one.  I carry it around all the time, quite a nice tablet.

My Samsung Galaxy Pro is a dust holder now.  Will sell it soon.

Nope, Still enjoy my laptop very much. I had a iPad at one point but I sold that recently and got myself a LG G3 and I do however find myself on my phone more often for most things.