My work has tasked me with speccing out a new server for the business, as our current server looks like it might have motherboard issues, plus it's relatively old.
The business is a design agency, working primarily with Adobe Photoshop and InDesign. We develop websites also, but this is handled by a different server.
Currently we have 15 users/workstations on a Windows domain via Server 2008 R2. Our e-mails are handled locally via Exchange. There are around half a dozen network shares that contain approximately 3TB of work data in total.
Going forward, our requirements will be changing slightly, in the following ways:
- We will be looking at migrating from the local Exchange server to Google Apps for Business
- We would like to include an offsite backup via Google Drive, which is now feasible since the office has fibre-optic broadband installed.
From a software/OS perspective, it looks like Server 2012 Essentials R2 would be suitable.
- Is Server 2012 Essentials suitable for this environment
- Can it be upgraded easily beyond 25 users if this is required later
- The integration with Microsoft Azure Backup and Office 365 looks great, but is it going to be a headache to use the Google equivalents instead (Google Drive / Apps for Business)
Finally from a hardware perspective, this is our wishlist:
- Plenty of drive bays, ideally hot swappable
- Tower form factor
- Out-of-band management (HP iLO for example) would be useful
- Preference towards HP
I appreciate there's quite a few questions there, but any input or advice towards the software setup or any hardware recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
Many thanks in advance