Sir Cliff Richard's home searched by police

If there's no evidence then the general public don't need to know until such time as proof is found.

+1. The media should wait until he is charged as it doesn't take much to damage a reputation even if the person is found innocent.

• Like 1

That's just America all over. Develop useful technology then advocate it's use to harm rather than help.

Please don't refer to the USA as 'America'.

And there should be a statute of limitations, long before 30 years.

The whole thing sounds fishy.

Without any proof, the media is not doing anybody a favour. Just by telling the media that his home is being searched, some people are going to have their truth ready and he'll be guilty in their eyes no matter what any investigation might reveal. Just look at what happened Michael Jackson... no proof whatsoever, but how many people still firmly believe that he's guilty?

Every state or country has its own statute of limitations. In most of Europe this crime is outside the limit, in the UK no. In the US it varies by jurisdiction (state or federal.) Here it's 1-5 years depending on the offense, save for murder which has no statute of limitations.

The man is 73.. how can he have hits in 7 different decades? 50's(assuming a hit before he turned 19) 60's 70's 80's 90's 00's 10's   ?

Sir Cliff Richard's ...

the allegation involved a boy under 16 and dated from the 1980s  ....

Source: BBC News

so for this year, he not a 'boy' anymore right? i mean 80 were 3 decades ago ...

is UK police are that slow?

so for this year, he not a 'boy' anymore right? i mean 80 were 3 decades ago ...

is UK police are that slow?

Quite fast actually, it was only reported to them a few days ago.

Please don't refer to the USA as 'America'.

And there should be a statute of limitations, long before 30 years.

The whole thing sounds fishy.

Why? Because a person managed to evade justice for long enough their crime should be forgotten and ignored? I call BS on that. As far as I am concerned, as long as it's still in the public interest (IE the person still poses a potential threat) they should still be prosecuted.

Why? Because a person managed to evade justice for long enough their crime should be forgotten and ignored? I call BS on that. As far as I am concerned, as long as it's still in the public interest (IE the person still poses a potential threat) they should still be prosecuted.

I don't agree with statutes of limitations either. If you commit a crime, you damn well SHOULD spend the rest of your life looking over your shoulder!

Quite fast actually, it was only reported to them a few days ago.

ah i see, its just case of very late reporting.

almost like some middle-age gay bragging that during his childhood he doing it with some bigshot.

His first hit was "Move It" in 1958, got to #2 in the UK charts.  His first #1 hit was "Living Doll" in 1959.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cliff_Richard_discography#Singles

This is the version that should have been #1 - the "king of rock 'n' roll Cliff Richard" with The Young Ones (and RIP Rik Mayall)!

No idea what the heck the police are looking for, after all this time - and sadly, if he's innocent, then his reputation has been dragged through the mud by the so-called press with reporting something without him having even been charged

• 2 weeks later...

Sir Cliff Richard interviewed by police over assault claim

Sir Cliff Richard has been interviewed under caution in connection with an alleged historical sexual offence, South Yorkshire Police has said.

Sir Cliff voluntarily met officers and was not arrested or charged.

It comes after police searched his home in Sunningdale, Berkshire, on 14 August as part of their investigation.

The veteran pop star denies the alleged offence, saying the claim of an assault at a religious event in Sheffield in 1985 is "completely false".

South Yorkshire Police confirmed it had spoken to a 73-year-old man.

A police spokesman said: "The man was interviewed under caution but was not arrested. He entered South Yorkshire Police premises by arrangement."

A spokesman for Sir Cliff said: "Today Sir Cliff Richard voluntarily met with and was interviewed by members of South Yorkshire Police. He was not arrested or charged.

"He co-operated fully with officers and answered the questions put to him.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-28916746