I have a question

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#16 OP JP6641

JP6641

Neowinian

Posted 14 August 2014 - 17:43

Here's what I would recommend since you're saying you don't have the cash:

Go on tigerdirect.com and buy a refurb/off-lease machine.

Like this one: http://www.tigerdire...9599&CatId=5138

Less than $150, comes with Win 7 (its only 32bit but you could wipe and install 64bit from the key). The 7 license alone would cost you at least half that, and you're getting a huge upgrade in terms of usability for the remaining $75-ish. 

There's a Tiger Direct Store here in town, should I maybe go check out?

#17 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 7
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 14 August 2014 - 17:44

You'll be happy with a refurbished system - even if you were to upgrade the RAM and OS, you'd still be left with a slow, and limited hard drive, which after 10 years, could die at any second.

#18 episode

episode

Neowinian Fanatic

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 14 August 2014 - 17:47

There's a Tiger Direct Store here in town, should I maybe go check out?

I don't know what they stock as far as refurbs in store, but its worth a shot.

#19 OP JP6641

JP6641

Neowinian

Posted 14 August 2014 - 18:03

You'll be happy with a refurbished system - even if you were to upgrade the RAM and OS, you'd still be left with a slow, and limited hard drive, which after 10 years, could die at any second.

This is true and I've had that pointed out quite a few times.

Hmmm.

I don't know what they stock as far as refurbs in store, but its worth a shot.

Wouldn't it be nice to ask online, "Excuse me but can you go check in the back". lol.

#20 +goretsky

goretsky

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 16 August 2014 - 22:12

Hello,

As previously noted, you are likely to be best served by purchasing a new computer. 

If you have any licensed software on your old computer, I would suggest recording the serial numbers (a text file work great) and download the latest versions that work with those serial numbers to a USB flash drive, external hard disk drive, etc., they will be ready to install when you receive your new computer.  Don't forget the anti-malware software as well, just in case your new computer doesn't come with any (or if you want to replace what comes with it with your preferred software).

Before you use the new computer on the Internet, be sure to run Microsoft Update to install whatever updates, patches, hotfixes, etc., are available for it, as chances are it is going to be missing a few of the newer ones.  If you buy a brand name computer (Dell, HP, Lenovo, etc.) it may come with an additional manufacturer-specific utility to update its drivers and model-specific software.  Be sure to run that as well.

From looking at the specs, I believe the Dell Dimension 4600 shipped with a PATA hard disk drive, which means you'll need an adapter of some sort to plug it into your computer to copy your data files off of it.  Of course, it might be a different type of drive if that's been replaced over the past ten years.  In any case, there are USB to PATA/SATA adapter cables which can be purchased for around $10-20 that you can use to transfer the data. 

Another option would be to connect both computers to a router, switch or hub and copy files across the local network from the old computer to the new, but this implies that you have a keyboard, mouse and monitor set up on both computers (or can easily move them between the two computers) and the space to do so.  If you don't, pulling the drive as mentioned above might be a better route for you.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

#21 shozilla

shozilla

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 8

Posted 16 August 2014 - 22:34

I'm worried that if I get a new PC I wouldn't be able to transfer the data on my hard drives to a new one.

You can use the transfer cable connected both ends (old and new pcs) then transfer your files from old to new pc...

or take the hard drive out and insert it in your new pc as slave...

or take it to the store and the tech will be happy to transfer the data from old to new hard drives for you.. no problem.

#22 +BudMan

BudMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 106
  • OS: Win7, Vista, 2k3, 2k8, XP, Linux, FreeBSD, OSX, etc. etc.

Posted 17 August 2014 - 00:32

"best served by purchasing a new computer. "

This - I would not spend 1 penny on a 10 year old box, you could buy the cheapest model out there and it would be like warp drive..

We just got friend who had a 8 year old machine a $250 laptop from lenovo http://shop.lenovo.c...-series/g50-30/ because she was on very tight budget as well.

It is like a lamborghini compared to her old model T ;)

You can buy a current machine for really cheap these days, now I know $250 is a lot to some - if so, then live with your model T for few more months, until you can spend at least that much. Don't spend or think of putting 1 penny into such a old device IMPO!!