Puzzler of an Message

Recently I received an odd email (at least to me) and would appreciate any thoughts about it.

The addresses looked unusual and the links in the body went to error pages or to blank pages.

Attached is a screenshot.

post-11754-0-33922900-1408070544.jpg

Recently I received an odd email (at least to me) and would appreciate any thoughts about it.

The addresses looked unusual and the links in the body went to error pages or to blank pages.

Attached is a screenshot.

I personally would not have clicked those links, but they seem to be TOR links from the deep web. I would add it to my spam list, delete the email

• Like 1

yea they are dark web, its either an illegal items market or something you dont want to think about... OR OR its many viruses OR just a joke xD :P also I must ask, why xp? and how long does it take for you to dial in to your internet?

Hello,

Bitmessage is an anonymous communications protocol.  The Swiss (.ch) web site operates an email gateway for it.

The ".onion" domain name is used by the Tor ("The Onion Router") web browser to denote websites hosted in "Tor space," (e.g., only accessible via the Tor network), also referred to as the "dark web" since it is (1) anonymous; and (2) unindexed by search engines like Google, Bing, etc.

The .tor2web.org and onion.to domains belong to web sites that act as proxies for accessing the dark web.  Needless to say, though, if you use them, you will no longer be anonymous.

So, what did you get in that email?  Basically, the same web site, but with three different ways to access it.

What does the site contain?  No idea, since I haven't looked, but it certainly sounds like spam to me.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

• Like 1

And the best answer is:

Hello,

Bitmessage is an anonymous communications protocol.  The Swiss (.ch) web site operates an email gateway for it.

The ".onion" domain name is used by the Tor ("The Onion Router") web browser to denote websites hosted in "Tor space," (e.g., only accessible via the Tor network), also referred to as the "dark web" since it is (1) anonymous; and (2) unindexed by search engines like Google, Bing, etc.

The .tor2web.org and onion.to domains belong to web sites that act as proxies for accessing the dark web.  Needless to say, though, if you use them, you will no longer be anonymous.

So, what did you get in that email?  Basically, the same web site, but with three different ways to access it.

What does the site contain?  No idea, since I haven't looked, but it certainly sounds like spam to me.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Personally, when I get strange emails like this, I do not click the links in the email.  It seem like a good practice ;)