Xbox One Update: September 2014

Xbox One System Update Now Available for Preview Members

Today we?re rolling out several of the new social and entertainment features we shared earlier this week, with the addition of a few unannounced features, to the members previewing new system updates. Your input on feedback.xbox.com plays a big role in shaping these updates, which will roll out to all Xbox One owners in the coming months.

Some of the new features rolling out to our preview members include:

• PartiesThe Party App has been re-organized, so you can now see what activities everyone in your party is doing and tell more clearly who is playing in the same game with you.  You can also more quickly perform common actions like muting, joining, or sending game invites.  Also, Parties now have a Party Leader.  This person can change whether the party requires invitations, and she/he can remove others from the party.
  • New Friends Section ? The new Friends section has been available for a few early access preview members and we?re expanding it to additional participants enrolled in the preview program. The new Friends section enables you to see at a glance what?s going on with your friends. You can stay up-to-date with your current activities, the most popular games your friends are playing, and a Gamerscore leaderboard to see who has improved their Gamerscore the most over the last 30 days.We?ll continue to roll this feature out to all participants in the coming updates.
  • Media Player ? A new app will be available soon that enables you to play media files from either an attached USB device or from a network connected home media server that supports DLNA protocols. The preview version of the Media Player app will initially only support USB devices, with DLNA support coming soon. Xbox One will support more formats than Xbox 360, including support for dozens of new file formats like mpeg 2 TS, animated gifs and mkv which will be added by the end of the year. See below for additional file formats.
  • Xbox One Digital TV Tuner ? Announced last week, this new hardware accessory will enter a limited preview program in Europe (UK, France, Germany, Italy, and Spain), in advance of its retail launch beginning in October.
  • Stream TV to SmartGlass ? Launching first in markets receiving the Xbox One Digital TV Tuner, you will be able to stream your TV across your home network to your smartphones and tablets using the Xbox SmartGlass app. You can also pause, play and rewind as well as change channels, without interrupting gameplay on Xbox One.
  • Boot to TV ? Now you will be able to set your console to boot directly to television when coming out of connected standby.
  • Live TV Miniguide ? For markets where OneGuide is available, a new mini guide on the bottom of the screen will display details about the TV content that is currently playing. You can quickly change channels and see what?s on other channels, while still watching TV.
  • SmartGlass Updates ? You can now post status messages from the Activity Feed as well as add comments and share items from both your Activity Feed and from Game Clips. Along with the new comment and share features, a personalized Activity Feed has been added to your profile. Messages have been updated to a new layout supporting a full conversation view. Additionally, we are adding the ability to record game clips directly from the Now Playing bar. Finally, if you upgrade the app directly we have introduced a What?s New page highlighting the features of each release.
  • ?Xbox On? in New Markets ? Adding support for additional markets to use the ?Xbox On? Kinect voice command to power on consoles: Australia, Canada (French), Italy, Spain, Mexico, and Brazil ? a top used feature.
  • Country Expansion ? We?re doing a lot of work on the back end to prepare for Xbox One to launch in 29 new markets in the coming weeks.
  • Multiple GameDVR Deletes ? You will be able to choose multiple GameDVR clips to delete at once in the Upload app.
  • Save your Avatar Gamerpic ? A new option is now available to save Avatar GamerPics to your OneDrive.
  • Settings Updates ? New options help you manage your controllers and accessories. Also, Instant Sign-In is being moved to Settings, to the Sign-in, security & Passkey area.
  • Bandwidth Usage Display ? Located in Network Settings under the Troubleshooting column, Bandwidth Usage will show you how much bandwidth your Xbox One is consuming over a period of time. This is useful if you want to track against bandwidth caps set by ISPs in certain markets.

Once again, we can?t thank you enough for your continued input and feedback. We look forward to sharing more when the next Xbox One system update rolls out to the larger community.

Xbox One compatible file types:

• 3gp audio
  • 3gp video
  • 3gp2
  • aac
  • adts
  • animated gif
  • asf
  • avi divx
  • avi dv
  • avi uncompressed
  • avi xvid
  • bmp
  • jpg
  • gif
  • h264 avchd
  • mjpeg
  • mkv
  • mov
  • mp3
  • mpeg 1 ps
  • mpeg 2
  • mpeg 2 hd
  • mpeg 2 ts
  • mpeg 4 h264 aac
  • mpeg 4 sp
  • png
  • tiff
  • wav
  • wma
  • wma lossless
  • wma pro
  • wma voice
  • wmv
  • wmv hd

http://majornelson.com/2014/08/15/xbox-one-system-update-now-available-preview-members/

-----

Xbox One Update: August 2014

Xbox One Owner Impressions

DirectX 12 Coming to Xbox One

downloading now. almost 2GB. :rofl:

• Like 2

me neither. I was hoping the app would show up after the update, it hasn't yet. I searched the store as well,nothing. I even put in a usb drive, the os didn't give me a hint that anything was inserted. it was formatted to ntfs,so ill give a fat32 drive a try.

also can't figure out stream to smartglass. still playing with it.

edit: put my usb in the front usb port,and it prompted that I had external storage and sent me to download the "media player preview"

the media player is very primitive right now. pause doesn't even work. it couldn't play a test mkv sample clip I encoded with h264 video and ac3 audio. I think that support is coming later.

I could play mp3 fine, just doesn't play in the background when loading a game, and cant snap the media player app yet.

and external storage supports fat32 and ntfs perfectly fine

edit2: mkv with dts audio still fails to play

Since it's an app they probably haven't pushed it out yet if it's not part of the update preview itself.  Maybe in the coming days though, either way this September update is looking like another big one, biggest one to date probably.

Full details can be found here

Looks like MKV support is coming, but not until later this year. 

i downloaded it but cant find the media player feature

You have to plug in a USB device and it'll prompt you to download it.

• Xbox One Digital TV Tuner ? Announced last week, this new hardware accessory will enter a limited preview program in Europe (UK, France, Germany, Italy, and Spain), in advance of its retail launch beginning in October.

Does that mean a free tuner for testing? :P

Does the media player allow you to play music in the background from DLNA shares while gaming like the 360? Guess I'll give it a test later today.

nice edit andrew (Y) 

Does the media player allow you to play music in the background from DLNA shares while gaming like the 360? Guess I'll give it a test later today.

The preview version of the Media Player app will initially only support USB devices, with DLNA support coming soon.

I don't think it supports dlna yet.

Full details can be found here

Looks like MKV support is coming, but not until later this year. 

MKV support is already there.

Audio codec support is what is screwing it right now, I think. AC3, DTS, etc.

Edit: I had to go through a few USB sticks, before I found one that was recognised.

I wasn't prompted when I inserted it, I had to go to storage management, and then view files, or whatever it said.

Sent in a report regarding audio format support. you should all do the same :)

Lot of mkv files use aac. If it doesn't support aac there's no point supporting mkv.

[edit] Just checked the list.

Anybody else getting this strange text bug at various points in the OS?

post-18738-0-17445600-1408133743.png

Had it since the last couple of updates.

It will only read ntfs drives in order for the pop up to come up

The drive that finally worked was NTFS, but still no pop-up

The others I tried were FAT32

I'll format those and see what happens.

I tried an mkv with h264 and aac and another with h264 with ac3 audio. didn't work. I then put the same video and audio into an mp4 container instead(h264+aac and h264+ac3), and it worked perfectly fine. so the audio support is not the problem. it read those formats with no issues.

The drive that finally worked was NTFS, but still no pop-up

The others I tried were FAT32

I'll format those and see what happens.

are you putting it in the front side usb port,or the back? mine wouldn't do anything on the back ports,until I did the front one.

It will only read ntfs drives in order for the pop up to come up

mine popped up with a fat32 drive first. (sorry I liked your comment by accident lol)

Anybody else getting this strange text bug at various points in the OS?

attachicon.gifxbox-text-bug.png

Had it since the last couple of updates.

It's a feature that when it detects mkv it assumes you're a pirate so it'll switch to pirate's preferred l33t-speak for the h4x0rz to understand.

:shifty:

• Like 2

I tried an mkv with h264 and aac and another with h264 with ac3 audio. didn't work. I then put the same video and audio into an mp4 container instead(h264+aac and h264+ac3), and it worked perfectly fine. so the audio support is not the problem. it read those formats with no issues.

Ah! OK, my bad.

are you putting it in the front side usb port,or the back? mine wouldn't do anything on the back ports,until I did the front one.

Side

mine popped up with a fat32 drive first. (sorry I liked your comment by accident lol)

Me too, lol

Is there a version number for this?  I started getting some static flashes whenever i was watching TV or Netflix and then got and HDCP error.  I'm using the HDMI cable that the Xbox came with but I have a feeling this is related to the update.

Is there a version number for this?  I started getting some static flashes whenever i was watching TV or Netflix and then got and HDCP error.  I'm using the HDMI cable that the Xbox came with but I have a feeling this is related to the update.

IIRC there's a version or build info in the console info settings section.

Thanks.  Apparently I'm on 1408 and show no update available.  I checked out YouTube for a minute and had the new YouTube then I did a hard reset to see if it would fix the HDCP issue (it didn't) and now the YouTube app is back to the old one...

and now the YouTube app is back to the old one...

Lucky you.

I never used it much, so can't really recall, but scrolling down the left side is painfully slow now. :/

I just unregistered from the preview program.  The console is fine until I start watching TV or Netflix.  Then I get a static flash about every second even after I exit those apps.