Xbox One Update: September 2014

xbox one microsoft dashboard update

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
56 replies to this topic

#46 spenser.d

spenser.d

Neowinian Senior

Posted 18 August 2014 - 11:28

I understand why we're part of the program, but the subnetting of testers is unnecessary and creates twice the workload.

As for providing feedback, that is the other thing they've subnetted. We now have 2 different apps, one for registration which has had all the features removed, and a second dashboard app which gives you "quests", change logs and ways to submit feedback straight from the console. Not everyone in the preview has access to the latter. Microsoft have forgotten how to beta :( Just let anyone who wants to take part download it, and put them on the same build. These variables make for a terrible test environment.

Usually when you run an experiment you split your test group up to hit different variable combinations. You make progress faster, especially when your pool is massive. Quite frankly it seems more like you don't know how to beta if this is what you're complaining about.

#47 Ironman273

Ironman273

Neowinian Fanatic

• Tech Issues Solved: 5
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 830

Posted 18 August 2014 - 11:37

Invited you again.

Thank you very much.  It did say I could rejoin at any time through the dashboard preview app but I appreciate the forethought.  For now I'm still pending leaving.

#48 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 18 August 2014 - 12:31

Usually when you run an experiment you split your test group up to hit different variable combinations. You make progress faster, especially when your pool is massive. Quite frankly it seems more like you don't know how to beta if this is what you're complaining about.

indeed. especially with Microsofts short monthly updates testing needs to be efficient, this means they need to test multiple builds with different versions and solutions at the same time to see what works what doesn't and what's most efficient and so on. 

People who want an always smoothly working xbox one shouldn't sign up for the preview, after all the beta's here are actual betas unlike the 360 previews which was ore preview than beta. 

And if you're not interested in having a dash that may be buggy and may be different than other people's. then don't sign up for the beta preview, with these timetables you're at most a month behind anyway. 

FTR my Xbox had turned off when I got home(forgot to turn off the projector before I left... oops, there goes ~3 hours of lamp life I'll never get back :p) and when I started t up it signed right in and everything starts right up, so it seems it was in the middle of some kind of update. 

#49 Andrew

Andrew

Guardian

• Tech Issues Solved: 9

Posted 18 August 2014 - 19:40

But a dashboard beta isn't like your typical software. We're going to be using the same version or else we can't connect to XBL. So finding bugs which would occur between different versions is pointless.

I know perfectly well how to beta though, thanks ;)

#50 firebelly

firebelly

firebelly

• Phone: Lumia 920

Posted 18 August 2014 - 19:43

Anybody else getting this strange text bug at various points in the OS?

attachicon.gifxbox-text-bug.png

Had it since the last couple of updates.

Yeah, I also have it since last couple of updates

#51 ybrett23

ybrett23

Neowinian

Posted 18 August 2014 - 19:48

i also have the font issue too,

but only from this latest update

#52 +FiB3R

FiB3R

"the sun is definitely rising on a new dawn!"

• Tech Issues Solved: 6
  • Phone: Lumia 930

Posted 18 August 2014 - 23:24

Good to know it's not just me

#53 OP vcfan

vcfan

Straight Ballin'

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 18 August 2014 - 23:43

I had some problems with my Xbox today before I left, it didn't sign me in, and no apps would start, including the system apps like the sign in app, and I couldn't go to my apps as that also just stood there and dropped back to the dash. netflix just hung forever on the red netflix screen.   restarting had no effect. 

on the last time I shut it down before I left it didn't shut down completely but on the on the X logo slowly blinking so I'm hoping it's downloading some update and it'll work when I get back home. otherwise I don't know what to do as I can't get into system settings or anything.

the dash app shows apps hanging is a known issue,so fix will probably be out soon. not sure how you will apply it though if you cant initiate the update. perhaps a usb restore of some sort.

#54 trooper11

trooper11

Neowinian Senior

Posted 19 August 2014 - 01:53

But a dashboard beta isn't like your typical software. We're going to be using the same version or else we can't connect to XBL. So finding bugs which would occur between different versions is pointless.

I know perfectly well how to beta though, thanks ;)

Are you sure its pointless? I mean beta testing is messy work and MS has a lot of experience doing internal testing on software. There are a lot of variables to consider. I suppose the reason behind one version with a feature and one version without is to find out if they need to delay the release of that feature while still rolling out the rest of the changes for the upcoming update. That seems like a nice way to isolate a feature they feel might require more work then the rest of the update.

#55 Showan

Showan

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Lumia Icon

Posted 24 August 2014 - 04:29

Looks like MS has been doing some fine tuning under the hood as well during these updates.

Not only does Kinect hear me even better now (which was already improved several months ago, but jumping from game to game and app to game and vice versa has improved drastically for me.

There's a good chance I'll be also purchasing the White SS:OD Xbox One later this year or early next year. Hope they have the stand alone Kinect on sale, so I can pick that up as well...

#56 Ironman273

Ironman273

Neowinian Fanatic

• Phone: Nokia Lumia 830

Posted 26 August 2014 - 13:41

Wow.  So I'm back in the preview program and I still have the static issue.  Then my son decided he wanted to watch Netflix without the static and used the AppleTV to watch it and guess what...  static!  So all my complaining about the preview program comes down to my 6 month old Sony receiver taking a dump... :(  Now I have to take it to a service center to get repaired.

Maybe they're made to do that if connected to an Xbox...  :shiftyninja:

#57 George P

George P

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: HTC Windows Phone 8X

Posted 26 August 2014 - 20:30

Wow.  So I'm back in the preview program and I still have the static issue.  Then my son decided he wanted to watch Netflix without the static and used the AppleTV to watch it and guess what...  static!  So all my complaining about the preview program comes down to my 6 month old Sony receiver taking a dump... :(  Now I have to take it to a service center to get repaired.

Maybe they're made to do that if connected to an Xbox...  :shiftyninja:

:p  That conspiracy theory in the making.