Americans Are Gradually Eating Less Cereal For Some Reason

Many Americans have to adjust their diets for celiac disease, which eliminates many traditional grains from their diets.

Yeah..."celiac disease." You mean those same people who claim they can't eat gluten but will happily drink boatloads of beer right?

Now yes some people really do have it, but I'm willing to bet that most don't.

For me, I stopped eating cereal after high school. I mostly have no time for breakfast, therefore just grab some orange juice and a bagel to go. For the days I do have some time, I have toast/bagel, with eggs, and orange juice. At least once or twice a week, someone will have brought donuts/muffins or something for breakfast at work. 

Cereal bars on the other hand, I do have those from time to time. 

I tend to eat bran flakes, or plain other things like cornflakes. Too many cereals are mostly sugar, and have to be "foritifed with vitamins and minerals", because without them, they'd be so devoid any any nutritional value, you could hardly call them food. 

Cereal is kinda an empty calorie rich sugar fest when you tra la la down the aisle in the supermarket. I think people are realizing this, and moving straight to easier to carry sugar bricks in the form of pop tarts and other breakfast bars.

Between that and stopping my McDonalds or Taco Bell and grabbing a meal, I'd think most parents simply let their kids find something in the cupboard/ fridge to much on, or better yet, wait till they get to school and grab something.

Me, I like an english muffin and egg with a glass of prune juice and coffee.

On the contrary. I'm pointing out how essential women are in society

Because men cannot fix breakfast? What a load of BS.

I personally used to eat cereal exclusively for breakfast. It was usually Cheerios or a granola cereal and fat free milk. But then I made a conscious decision to eat better, and I stopped having cereal and milk all together. Now a days it's just assorted fruit and some almonds, and once or twice a week I get an egg white omelet with veggies.

Who says that granola or oats based cereal are bad? These are my favorites and their are the most healthy cereals you can find.

The only cereals I eat, infrequently, are Cheerios and Rice Krispies, and then they're the store brand clones because the brand name stuff is damned over priced. Store brands are less than half the price.

If that's their option, isn't it OK? There are quite a few women quite happy in the role of housewife & mother. Don't demean them by using "house frau" as a pejorative.

Seta-san blamed working women for kids not eating breakfast then tried to argue his position was "women are essential in society", presumably as mothers who stay at home and feed their children.

He was demeaning them by suggesting their only role, or option, as you put it, should be to be a housewife who ensures their children are properly fed.

1950s here we come.

• Like 2

Seta-san blamed working women for kids not eating breakfast then tried to argue his position was "women are essential in society", presumably as mothers who stay at home and feed their children.

He was demeaning them by suggesting their only role, or option, as you put it, should be to be a housewife who ensures their children are properly fed.

1950s here we come.

SOMEone has to make sure that the kids eat a decent breakfast.  Dad, mum, it doesn't matter, just as long as someone is taking time out of their so called busy schedule to actually make sure their kids are fed properly.

Too many are leaving them to get their own food, or get fast food (which is a terrible option for breakfast).

1950s here we come.

i'm saying that back in that time households were ran in a certain way and Americans weren't fat and we had our mothers to thank deeply for it. over time though as women entered the workforce gradually healthy home cooked meals turned into the occasional tv-dinners and then to near daily mc Donald's. almost every American under a certain age, unless they were incredibly lucky to have a stay-at-home parent, can attest to that progression.

I'm not saying that women should be forced to be stay at home mothers. they are people too with dreams and aspirations. I wouldn't think of taking that away from them.  I'm just saying the country, as a whole, was better off for it.

I'm not saying that women should be forced to be stay at home mothers. they are people too with dreams and aspirations. I wouldn't think of taking that away from them.  I'm just saying the country, as a whole, was better off for it.

In the 1950's, diet was simpler, there were less fats, less sugars, less choice, and WAY less fast food joints.  People were also far more active and the majority of work was physical work.

American's (and Brits) are way fatter than the 1950's, yes, but you can't just say it's because there's no mom fixing breakfast, it's just not that simple.

I just joined this thread and I have no idea how people got onto the wives being stay at home or something.  The answer to the OP is the increased awareness of how bad the sugary cereals are.