The 10 best tuning tips for windows

• 3 weeks later...

Maybe it's time I install linux againk, just so I can do another thread where I log all the stuff that breaks, don't work or require annoying workarounds just to work normally.

it usually ends up a pretty long list of small issues and enough big and at times show stopper issues that I just don't bother with it and buy another window slicense for the box instead of running a "free" OS (sorry I could my own time as valuable so when I need to spend hours upon hours to fix a new linux install whereas my 15-20 minute USB stick windows install just works without issues right away)

Your real problem is that HP installed a recovery partition on to the D: drive (because they don't do recovery CDs any more, that'd be too easy for people to use) so every time you format C: you're still leaving a fresh copy of the OS right there on the computer.

28 steps to fixing your PC:

Format A:

Format B: (why do you even have one floppy drive, let alone two?)

Format C:

Format D: (gotcha, sneaky recovery partition!)

Format E:, F:, G:, H:

Format I: (how did Apple software get in here?)

Format J:, K:, L:, M:, N:, O:, P:, Q:, R:

Format S: (have you ever thought maybe you have too many disks?)

Format T:, U:, V:

Format W: (this one doesn't always exist, so you might not need to do this one)

Format X: (this is normally a network drive... probably best to make sure it's physical before formatting it. Maybe)

Format Y:

Format Z: (my old school's network drive. Definitely format that)

Format C: again (chances are it's already got some junk on there you don't want)

Give up, buy a Mac.

Only one thing improves my Windows experience - Replacing it with GNU/Linux ;) Trying to tune Windows is slow, error prone, and often produces poor results. I know, I've tried.

You can't beat booting to a fully working and loaded XFCE desktop in 4 seconds. Even a fully tuned (most services/start programs disabled) Windows takes 3 times as long.

Cannot format c: while inside of windows if that is your %windir% drive. Have to be running alternative shell. But good try.

Did he say that he was running the command inside the live Windows installation? You can do that from a Linux image or some other bootable recovery disc.

Step 1 ) Remove all tuneup software from the PC.

100x this

All of those cleaners and tuneup tools usually do more harm than good.,

You can't beat booting to a fully working and loaded XFCE desktop in 4 seconds. Even a fully tuned (most services/start programs disabled) Windows takes 3 times as long

That's because you "tuned" it. 

and no, a usable XFCE with the same functionality as a default windows desktop does not boot faster. 

Tips for tuning Linux:

1) Learn how to code

2) Examine source code

3) Modify inefficient source code

4) Think of a name that rhymes with Ubuntu

5) Create your own fork and name it with what you came up with in step 4

Tips for tuning Mac:

1) Schedule appointment with an Apple Genius® at your local Apple Store.

2) Speak with Genius

3) Learn what you were doing wrong

4) Refrain from continuing wrong behavior

Tips for tuning Windows:

1) Download first thing you see on the Google that promises to double your computer's speed

2) Install it and accept any toolbars, etc. it asks you to install

3) Your speed is doubled

• Like 2

Tips for tuning Linux:

1) Learn how to code

2) Examine source code

3) Modify inefficient source code

4) Think of a name that rhymes with Ubuntu

5) Create your own fork and name it with what you came up with in step 4

Tips for tuning Mac:

1) Schedule appointment with an Apple Genius® at your local Apple Store.

2) Speak with Genius

3) Learn what you were doing wrong

4) Refrain from continuing wrong behavior

5) Buy the latest iThing that looks like the last iThing because it must be better.

Tips for tuning Windows:

1) Download first thing you see on the Google that promises to double your computer's speed

2) Install it and accept any toolbars, etc. it asks you to install

3) Your speed is doubled

And if that doesn't work, you just download some more ram. ( http://downloadmoreram.com/ ). There, problem solved. 

• Like 1

1) Open the windows

2) Grab your PC and walk to the windows

3) Throw your PC out

4) Close the windows

5) Lock.

6) Go to the kitchen to grab a beer

7) Go to living room to sit down

8) Enjoy your beer.

• Like 2

Maybe it's time I install linux againk, just so I can do another thread where I log all the stuff that breaks, don't work or require annoying workarounds just to work normally.

it usually ends up a pretty long list of small issues and enough big and at times show stopper issues that I just don't bother with it and buy another window slicense for the box instead of running a "free" OS (sorry I could my own time as valuable so when I need to spend hours upon hours to fix a new linux install whereas my 15-20 minute USB stick windows install just works without issues right away)

This.

Sounds more like user error

Hey Mr. Troll, 1998 called, they want your joke back.  Ah crud, I meant to respond to the OP.  Sorry Neu B.

How did I miss this thread? Poor show on my part, sorry guys.

Tagging posts is a requirement!

Set the most relevant tag as the prefix. Threads started without correct prefix tags may be closed without notice.

But this thread serves no purpose other than having another go at operating systems. With that in mind:

<Thread closed>

• Like 3