Photo

help! laptop still hangs

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 ayster3

ayster3

Neowinian

Posted 16 August 2014 - 07:43

ive done a complete reformat just to make sure there aren't any virus. and also check my disk for some errors/bad sectors. and it's clean. ive also removed the dust that is blocking the vents. but the fan is a bit noisy when windows starts,.

so is the fan the culprit or my graphics card because my graphics card is nvidia geforce 8600???

#2 mduren2445

mduren2445

Neowinian

Posted 16 August 2014 - 08:27

First welcome to neowin!!!! :rofl:

second we need to know the make and model of your laptop

Third ...can you carefully get into the laptop bios and see if it will tell you what the cpu temp is?

i suspect based on what you described   ive also removed the dust that is blocking the vents. but the fan is a bit noisy when windows starts,

that you are overheating.. if your cpu temp proves this then a temporary solution will be a laptop cooler pad which you set your laptop upon while working..Amazon has them around $20.....better solution is to get the fan replaced...hopefully heat has not damaged anything else

#3 68k

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4

Posted 16 August 2014 - 09:01

'8600': what a disgrace.

Yes, it's most likely the graphics card. Potentially every 8600(M?)-based laptop (including those with high-end Quadros) will be affected. I suggest looking into getting another machine; one day your current one just won't boot.

The trouble doesn't stop there: certain 9600M-series ICs had the same issues, so I'd stay away from them also (if looking for a second hand machine).

Note also the repair services (commonly seen on eBay) are just temporary solutions. I sent in a 8600M-based MacBook Pro to have it's GPU replaced/resoldered. All they did was heat up the logic board in an oven to reflow the solder. The machine worked fine for a day or two, then problems started reoccurring. Even a new logic board from Apple wouldn't have solved the problem.

I am very frustrated about this having had two fairly high-spec laptops fail. The 8600M was a great chip; the last thing I would have expected is poor solder quality control from Nvidia. For a few years after, I went on a Nvidia strike.

#4 68k

Neowinian Senior

Posted 16 August 2014 - 09:05

The noisy fan is either related to wear (perhaps it's bearings are starting to wear out) or an object (ie. a crumb) going through and getting stuck behind a vent at one stage.

Did you use an air compressor to dust out the vents, or just a compressed air can?

#5 T3X4S

T3X4S

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 16 August 2014 - 09:07

memtest wouldnt hurt, even though that model is problematic.

Word of advice - dont buy Inspirons period.  Stick with the Latitudes

Does it hang in Safe Mode ?

What OS are you running ?

#6 Roger H.

Roger H.

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 20
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 16 August 2014 - 09:08

Well first questions would be what does "hangs" mean?

Do you open Notepad and it freezes or you mean CS4 or something more large?

#7 OP ayster3

ayster3

Neowinian

Posted 16 August 2014 - 09:17

First welcome to neowin!!!! :rofl:

second we need to know the make and model of your laptop

Third ...can you carefully get into the laptop bios and see if it will tell you what the cpu temp is?

i suspect based on what you described   ive also removed the dust that is blocking the vents. but the fan is a bit noisy when windows starts,

that you are overheating.. if your cpu temp proves this then a temporary solution will be a laptop cooler pad which you set your laptop upon while working..Amazon has them around $20.....better solution is to get the fan replaced...hopefully heat has not damaged anything else

thank you sir! : )

mine is benq s41 series.. about 2 years of age intel core 3 / 2.4ghz nvidia geforce 8600 4gb ram..

when on iddle its 44c and when i opened chrome, it becomes 51c and starts to get higher.. its 54 now after 5mins

#8 Raa

Raa

Resident president

• Tech Issues Solved: 5

Posted 16 August 2014 - 09:17

If the 8600 isn't the culprit, i'd be surprised!

#9 OP ayster3

ayster3

Neowinian

Posted 16 August 2014 - 09:23

memtest wouldnt hurt, even though that model is problematic.

Word of advice - dont buy Inspirons period.  Stick with the Latitudes

Does it hang in Safe Mode ?

What OS are you running ?

yeah it hangs in safe as well and its vista at that time and im using windows 7 and it still hangs even in safe mode

The noisy fan is either related to wear (perhaps it's bearings are starting to wear out) or an object (ie. a crumb) going through and getting stuck behind a vent at one stage.

Did you use an air compressor to dust out the vents, or just a compressed air can?

compressed air.. : ((

'8600': what a disgrace.

Yes, it's most likely the graphics card. Potentially every 8600(M?)-based laptop (including those with high-end Quadros) will be affected. I suggest looking into getting another machine; one day your current one just won't boot.

The trouble doesn't stop there: certain 9600M-series ICs had the same issues, so I'd stay away from them also (if looking for a second hand machine).

Note also the repair services (commonly seen on eBay) are just temporary solutions. I sent in a 8600M-based MacBook Pro to have it's GPU replaced/resoldered. All they did was heat up the logic board in an oven to reflow the solder. The machine worked fine for a day or two, then problems started reoccurring. Even a new logic board from Apple wouldn't have solved the problem.

I am very frustrated about this having had two fairly high-spec laptops fail. The 8600M was a great chip; the last thing I would have expected is poor solder quality control from Nvidia. For a few years after, I went on a Nvidia strike.

yeah.. im blaming myself now on why did i bought this cr@p

Well first questions would be what does "hangs" mean?

Do you open Notepad and it freezes or you mean CS4 or something more large?

nah.. i open chrome and after a few minutes it hangs..

i opened adobe before. and maybe (just my hypotheis) it triggers the hanging??

#10 68k

Neowinian Senior

Posted 16 August 2014 - 09:23

Try booting without the Nvidia driver enabled (standard Windows VESA driver only). I think that stopped freezing on one of my laptops, however I was stuck at 640x480 without graphics acceleration.

+1 for Latitudes over Inspirons.

#11 OP ayster3

ayster3

Neowinian

Posted 16 August 2014 - 09:27

Try booting without the Nvidia driver enabled (standard Windows VESA driver only). I think that stopped freezing on one of my laptops, however I was stuck at 640x480 without graphics acceleration.

i was thinking, cn i disable/uninstall it and buy a new graphics card like amd or something? will it be okay for my laptop?

#12 68k

Neowinian Senior

Posted 16 August 2014 - 09:28

compressed air.. : ((

yeah.. im blaming myself now on why did i bought this cr@p

I've found cans to not give enough pressure, plus there's a risk of liquid getting into the vents (if not held steady).

If you bought the laptop a few years ago, you shouldn't blame yourself. Just imagine Steve Jobs' reaction (and what he would have said to Nvidia's CEO) when he found out that every MacBook Pro sold at the time would eventually fail (Apple used ATI/AMD for a few years after that - now certain ATI/AMD chips are having issues :().

#13 68k

Neowinian Senior

Posted 16 August 2014 - 09:33

i was thinking, cn i disable/uninstall it and buy a new graphics card like amd or something? will it be okay for my laptop?

No, the GPU is soldered directly to the logic board in 99.9% of laptops. I'd suggest uninstalling the Nvidia drivers for now, and seeing how that goes.

And while your laptop is working, perform a backup (if possible). It crashing when you run Chrome is most likely due to graphics acceleration (in Chrome/Flash content).

#14 OP ayster3

ayster3

Neowinian

Posted 16 August 2014 - 09:33

yow bro.. how cn i disable it? also.. i dont have any files in my laptop so do i have to back it up?

#15 T3X4S

T3X4S

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 16 August 2014 - 09:34

Oh, and welcome to neowin, & especially Hardware Hangout.  Neowin has a pretty diverse group of members.  I cant speak for the rest of the site, but I can tell you Hardware Hangout has some pretty smart people who are regulars & always eager to help out a fellow member.

If you have a problem, we can figure it out for sure. ;)