Photo

help! laptop still hangs

34 replies to this topic

#16 68k

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4

Posted 16 August 2014 - 09:36

yow bro.. how cn i disable it? 

Do you know how to get into Device Manager? http://windows.micro...-device-manager Have you used Device Manager before?

I'd also uninstall all programs with 'Nvidia' in their name (you can download them again through Dell's support site later).

#17 T3X4S

T3X4S

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 16 August 2014 - 09:36

yow bro.. how cn i disable it? also.. i dont have any files in my laptop so do i have to back it up?

dont have to back up -- nothing to preserve.

To disable , if you can get into Device Manager, then display adapter it should be one of the top listings.
You can rt. click, then select uninstall - it will default to the standard VGA.

However, next time you boot it will try to reload the nVidia....

#18 OP ayster3

ayster3

Neowinian

Posted 16 August 2014 - 09:38

Oh, and welcome to neowin, & especially Hardware Hangout.  Neowin has a pretty diverse group of members.  I cant speak for the rest of the site, but I can tell you Hardware Hangout has some pretty smart people who are regulars & always eager to help out a fellow member.

If you have a problem, we can figure it out for sure. ;)

yeah.. this site is great, thanks by the way

#19 OP ayster3

ayster3

Neowinian

Posted 16 August 2014 - 09:58

dont have to back up -- nothing to preserve.

To disable , if you can get into Device Manager, then display adapter it should be one of the top listings.
You can rt. click, then select uninstall - it will default to the standard VGA.

However, next time you boot it will try to reload the nVidia....

Do you know how to get into Device Manager? http://windows.micro...-device-manager Have you used Device Manager before?

I'd also uninstall all programs with 'Nvidia' in their name (you can download them again through Dell's support

dudes.. under my display adapter.. is only the VGA ...... what now?

#20 OP ayster3

ayster3

Neowinian

Posted 16 August 2014 - 10:06

and just now.. if i press the power on button. after 5 mins.. the screen is still black.. so i suggest it hangs ryt? i tried again and it boot up well.. is there something wrong now with the mobo?

#21 T3X4S

T3X4S

Neowinian

Posted 16 August 2014 - 10:12

and just now.. if i press the power on button. after 5 mins.. the screen is still black.. so i suggest it hangs ryt? i tried again and it boot up well.. is there something wrong now with the mobo?

To determine if it is hanging when there is no image, do you see the HDD activity light blinking randomly ? 

I remember in the older Inspirons, they actually made the mobo a tiny bit too big which created the slightest amount of flex, which cuased the RAM to have a couple contacts not touch the mobo - the result would be what you are explaining. 

Also, the fact your video card only shows the standard VGA adapter, is another big red flag it might not be working and is the problem.  Try going back into Device Manager and getting it to take the nVidia driver.

I think this comes down to 1 of 3 things:

bad vga
bad mobo
flaky RAM Have you run memtest ?  (just to rule it out)

If you go into BIOS, and stay there, maybe even let it run some of those Dell diagnostics options - does it ever go black on you ?

#22 68k

Neowinian Senior

Posted 16 August 2014 - 10:26

Can you still get to the Desktop via safe mode?

So in Device Manager, the display adapter was listed as (something like) 'generic VGA adapter'? It should have stated 'Nvidia ...'.

#23 68k

Neowinian Senior

Posted 16 August 2014 - 14:05

Try pressing the key combination to switch between the inbuilt display and an external display when the screen is blank. Can you still adjust the (inbuilt) display's brightness (usually fn + up arrow/down arrow on Dells)?

Removing a driver won't cause the screen stay blank. If you can't even see the BIOS POST (ie. Dell logo) screen (after pressing the power button), it's not software/drivers, but instead the GPU or logic board itself.

As I stated previously, 8600M-series are like Sony timers. One day, the machine won't turn on. At least it wasn't a 17" MacBook Pro you paid Apple $3,000+ for.

#24 OP ayster3

ayster3

Neowinian

Posted 17 August 2014 - 09:18

To determine if it is hanging when there is no image, do you see the HDD activity light blinking randomly ? 

I remember in the older Inspirons, they actually made the mobo a tiny bit too big which created the slightest amount of flex, which cuased the RAM to have a couple contacts not touch the mobo - the result would be what you are explaining. 

Also, the fact your video card only shows the standard VGA adapter, is another big red flag it might not be working and is the problem.  Try going back into Device Manager and getting it to take the nVidia driver.

I think this comes down to 1 of 3 things:

bad vga
bad mobo
flaky RAM Have you run memtest ?  (just to rule it out)

If you go into BIOS, and stay there, maybe even let it run some of those Dell diagnostics options - does it ever go black on you ?

bro.. there is no blinking light, the hard disk indicator light is off

is memtest built in in windows? or i have to download one in the net?

Try pressing the key combination to switch between the inbuilt display and an external display when the screen is blank. Can you still adjust the (inbuilt) display's brightness (usually fn + up arrow/down arrow on Dells)?

Removing a driver won't cause the screen stay blank. If you can't even see the BIOS POST (ie. Dell logo) screen (after pressing the power button), it's not software/drivers, but instead the GPU or logic board itself.

As I stated previously, 8600M-series are like Sony timers. One day, the machine won't turn on. At least it wasn't a 17" MacBook Pro you paid Apple $3,000+ for.

yeah.. after it turned it on., its black.. no logo

could it be that due to overheating, some parts of the board is fried/toast??

because overheating is my first issue and it always shut downs back then, so i bought a cooling pad and it is running smooth at that time

#25 T3X4S

T3X4S

Neowinian

Posted 17 August 2014 - 09:20

Here:

http://www.memtest86.com/download.htm

You can mount the ISO on a CD, or via a USB drive.

When you boot up, start hitting F12 - this will pull up a boot menu

Select CD, or USB (whichever you choose to create)

And then just let it run for an hour

If you dont see any red - you're good and its not RAM

#26 OP ayster3

ayster3

Neowinian

Posted 17 August 2014 - 09:23

Can you still get to the Desktop via safe mode?

So in Device Manager, the display adapter was listed as (something like) 'generic VGA adapter'? It should have stated 'Nvidia ...'.

yes, and i cn still go to desktop in normal boot up

yes.. it displays generic vga adapter and no nvidia

Here:

http://www.memtest86.com/download.htm

You can mount the ISO on a CD, or via a USB drive.

When you boot up, start hitting F12 - this will pull up a boot menu

Select CD, or USB (whichever you choose to create)

And then just let it run for an hour

If you dont see any red - you're good and its not RAM

before the windows logo? or during my laptop's logo

#27 T3X4S

T3X4S

Neowinian

Posted 17 August 2014 - 09:29

laptops logo, hit F12

if you see a windows logo - you need to reboot & try again

#28 Raa

Raa

Resident president

• Tech Issues Solved: 5

Posted 17 August 2014 - 09:30

That's the video chip issue as mentioned before. Had stacks of HP/Compaq's do this on the workbench.

Unfortunately this laptop's destined for the scrap heap, unless you want to take a risk at reflowing the video chip (not recommended, and likely to fail again).

#29 OP ayster3

ayster3

Neowinian

Posted 17 August 2014 - 09:35

laptops logo, hit F12

will i extract the files on my usb or just copy the zip??

and also.. do i nedd to empty my usb fist?

#30 OP ayster3

ayster3

Neowinian

Posted 17 August 2014 - 09:52

laptops logo, hit F12

dude.. i just copy the zip and tried it and it says and it failed and says check cable connections

what now?