Photo

Slow CPU, not enough RAM, or both?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Turbonium

Turbonium

Neowinian

Posted 16 August 2014 - 08:20

Every time I open Skype on my WP, it always takes forever, even if I opened it moments before and had to switch to another screen or app momentarily.

So correct me if I'm wrong, but basically:

- it has to load all over again every time because of limited RAM

- it is slow to load every time it does this due to lack of processing power

specs: 1GHz dual-core + 512MB RAM (Lumia 620)

note: sometimes, even loading up Settings or Messaging takes a moment (i.e. the "loading" screen actually appears for a brief moment). I figure this is also the CPU being slow at loading very basic things (when compared to Skype) which, again, were not stored in memory.

#2 Sinster

Sinster

Neowinian

Posted 16 August 2014 - 08:27

Has this always been an issue?  Are you running 8.1 preview, 8.1 Cyan, or 8? 

Have you posted at wpcentral? 

#3 OP Turbonium

Turbonium

Neowinian

Posted 16 August 2014 - 08:35

Always, ever since I've had the phone.

Currently: WP8 (8.0.10517.150), Lumia Black

#4 +d5aqoëp

d5aqoëp

Banned

Posted 16 August 2014 - 08:40

If you have cloud synced your contacts to Microsoft account and you don't care for old messages, I recommend you perform a full factory reset. Then you can rule out most of the hardware issues like CPU and RAM.

#5 OP Turbonium

Turbonium

Neowinian

Posted 16 August 2014 - 08:42

If you have cloud synced your contacts to Microsoft account and you don't care for old messages, I recommend you perform a full factory reset. Then you can rule out most of the hardware issues like CPU and RAM.

I was 100% under the impression that this sort of behaviour is normal for a budget phone like the Lumia 620.

Are you guys sure it isn't?

Also: I'm mostly asking because I'm going to be getting a new phone soon, and I want to know if I could actually "use" 1GB of RAM instead of 512MB. If what you're saying is that 512MB phones are supposed to insta-load "heavier" apps like Skype, then that answers my question.

#6 +InsaneNutter

InsaneNutter

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 5
  • Phone: OnePlus One

Posted 16 August 2014 - 09:25

Mobile apps are getting quite advanced, I would personally say 512mb is extremely low for a phone these days. 512mb was pretty much standard 3-4 years ago so I would suspect that is the issue.

The phone has enough ram to function, however not keep multiple apps in ram when you want to multi-task.

Even going from 1gb to 2gb+ on a phone you will notice a difference, especially if you multi-task a fair few applications.

#7 OP Turbonium

Turbonium

Neowinian

Posted 16 August 2014 - 09:58

Mobile apps are getting quite advanced, I would personally say 512mb is extremely low for a phone these days. 512mb was pretty much standard 3-4 years ago so I would suspect that is the issue.

The phone has enough ram to function, however not keep multiple apps in ram when you want to multi-task.

Even going from 1gb to 2gb+ on a phone you will notice a difference, especially if you multi-task a fair few applications.

I am not an app user at all. The only extra/demanding app I use is Skype, and I don't think that will change anytime soon.

Also, I'd get 1GB, but all the Lumias that are not huge come with 512MB (except the 525, but that has the problem of a slow CPU, which is why I made this thread to try and figure out what is the bigger deal for the issues I posted, the CPU or the RAM).