south carolina abuse disorderly conduct obscenity parenting epithets

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#1 Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 62,895 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 11:19

According to WSPA television news, a South Carolina mother was arrested for swearing at her children while she shopped in a North Augusta grocery store.

A fellow shopper overheard the alleged abuse and informed a police officer, who issued a citation for disorderly conduct.

"He was like, 'You're under arrest' ... right in front of kids, in front of my husband, in front of customers," Danielle Wolf says she was told by the officer.

She goes on to say that her obscenity was directed at her husband, who had placed a frozen pizza on top of the bread in their cart.

Theresa Edwards of the Mommyish blog says this is just the latest example of parenting policing getting out of hand.

"I have a really filthy mouth, and so does my husband, and while I've made a half-hearted effort to improve my language, we often say profane things to each other that aren't even spoken in anger," she writes. "Our daughter may or not be present sometimes."

Did it do the children any good to witness their mother getting arrested, she asks.

"More and more, I feel like I have less to fear from the outside world than I do of getting in trouble when someone doesn't like the way I parent," she concludes. "I used to let my child walk to the park solo, but I haven't done that for a while, since that's apparently a criminal offense."

In case you're wondering, a North Augusta defines disorderly conduct, in part, as uttering "while in a state of anger, in the presence of another, any bawdy, lewd or obscene words or epithets".

more

#2 T3X4S

T3X4S

Neowinian

• 991 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 11:24

Define Irony:   Attempting to filter what kids are subjected to, in hopes of them growing up to be level-headed & not use bad language, moreover without problems... you arrest their mother, right in front of them.... because that wont cause any problems.... :rolleyes:

#3 OP Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 62,895 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 11:25

I bet she has nothing on my aunt's foul mouth.

She could out-bitch anyone.

#4 Jewelzz

Jewelzz

• 264 posts
  • Phone: Galaxy S4

Posted 16 August 2014 - 11:29

What parent doesn't cuss to and around their kids?  The things I said around my kids ... if arrested for it, I'd be serving a life sentence

#5 T3X4S

T3X4S

Neowinian

• 991 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 11:34

So she was arrested, & issued a citation - this brilliant cop didnt think a warning of disorderly conduct, even a citation for it wasnt enough to get the point across ? :|

I hope the people who notified the police feel good about their decision

#6 +Anarkii

Anarkii

Member N° 1,455

• 5,396 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5, iOS 8

Posted 16 August 2014 - 11:36

This just goes to show that people are getting arrested today for the stupidest of crimes, hell, swearing shouldn't even be considered a crime. 

I thought we were living in 2014, not 1614.

#7 OP Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 62,895 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 11:40

I wouldn't mind a little less public swearing.

People get out of hand sometimes.

#8 T3X4S

T3X4S

Neowinian

• 991 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 11:47

Im bad about it.  I do it all the time without thinking.  Then when I hear others cuss in certain situations - it sounds bad.

Im careful not to do it in professional (work) enviroments, but in a personal surrounding - I have been known to do the Trifecta of F-bombs !  "F*&^ You, you F$%&ing F#$% !!"

#9 compl3x

compl3x

Feels good, dunnit?

• 8,449 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S4

Posted 16 August 2014 - 12:07

A fellow shopper overheard the alleged abuse and informed a police officer, 

Replace "fellow shopper" with busybody. 

#10 laserfloyd

laserfloyd

Neowinian

• 1,124 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 12:15

What parent doesn't cuss to and around their kids?  The things I said around my kids ... if arrested for it, I'd be serving a life sentence

Truth. When my kids were little bitty I'd filter my language but I drop F bombs all the time now particularly when they're being punks! ;)

I went golfing with a guy from Scotland once. He was visiting stateside for some reason. Anyway, his language was epic. He'd be doing 8 life sentences after that one round. The funniest thing he'd say when he hit a ball was "DROP YA SLUT!" LOL

People need to lighten up. The lady who heard the foul language needs to reexamine her priorities. The police need to also. Hopefully the judge will agree that it's a colossal waste of time and throw it out of court.

#11 Osiris

Osiris

Neowinian God!

• 11,402 posts
  • Phone: Nokia 930

Posted 16 August 2014 - 12:53

Kids, this is what happens when you put frozen food on top of non frozen food -  Mommy gets arrested and daddy sleeps on the couch for week.

- Learn from dads mistakes (families throughout time series).

#12 Rohdekill

Rohdekill

Neowinian Senior

• 3,574 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 13:03

last time I checked, receiving a citation is not considered as "being arrested".

#13 +dsbig

dsbig

Neowinian

• 479 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 13:09

people never heard my family.

my moms bf uses fu*** in every sentence.

#14 GotBored

GotBored

Brain Trust

• 1,276 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5

Posted 16 August 2014 - 13:17

That's good, now the kids won't swear in public because they will think they'll get arrested.

I never understood why some people swear so much, they think they are cool or something when they do?

They just sound ignorant to me when they do, I personally don't want people swearing in-front of kids but also if its their kids they can parent them however they please but this lady was swearing in public which is why she got a citation.

There are too many spoiled little brats with mouths like sailors these days whom have no common sense what-so-ever and its probably cause there parents act like the ones in this article.

Sure some laws suck, but realistically some of these laws that baby grown adults need to be in place because some people are just idiots.

#15 Bigkaye

Bigkaye

Neowinian

• 132 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 13:22

Language is just sounds. It baffles me that we still live with the notion that some sounds are good and other sounds are bad, or we lay blatant judgement on someone because of how we interpret the sounds coming out of their mouth, rather than how the sounds were intended.