Mom arrested for swearing around her children

I remember in a documentary years ago about how the words "breast" and "thigh" would never be used when talking about cuts of meat. "Dark" and "white" or "light" were used instead because you would never describe anatomy, especially sexual parts in polite company.

I know of no butcher today who doesn't sell "breasts" of chicken or "Chicken thighs".

Because you insulted his intelligence. Your feeling; in this case intellectually superiority, was made clear. That was condescending.

I think you're confusing being abused with certain language which can emphasis feelings and swearing in general. Swearing in general among adults rarely raises and eyebrow except among those who think they are socially superior because they don't swear. An entirely odd thing to feel superior about.

As far as the filter question goes: isn't Neowin owned by another company? It might be their policy to censor it because they believe it is better to err on the side of caution and try to offend no one than to allow it. That is probably the reasoning for a lot of companies who discourage swearing around clients.

Okay, that's a good point.  I guess I got a little carried away.  I just have always felt (because of the way I was raised) that swearing to sound cool or grown up, and especially cussing in every sentence that comes out of your mouth is just not polite and is somewhat disrespectful of those around you. But to use an argument that language is just sounds and so no sound should be offensive is really not good logic to me.

^ you're obviously as oblivious as he is, even with a step-by-step explanation.

You folded on your original argument regardless of how you tried to word your step-by-step explanation.

Hell you folded in the same post by saying language is just sounds but then saying it has intention and meaning behind it.

Swear words also have intention and meaning behind them and some aren't offensive but they are vulgar ways to say something which can be said in regular English.

I grew up with a lot of people who swore to sound "hard" (tough, macho, etc.) - I agree it sounds stupid.

Yes, this is the point I was trying to get across. People mostly use swear words to try act tough or cool, it is why I consider people who swear constantly ignorant. They are just trying too hard to act tough/cool.

I wouldn't mind a little less public swearing.

People get out of hand sometimes.

With a bunch of salty Marines, Navy and USAF types in the family swearing certainly happened, but we rarely used more than "damn" in front of our kids and discouraged it.

• Like 2

You folded on your original argument regardless of how you tried to word your step-by-step explanation.

Hell you folded in the same post by saying language is just sounds but then saying it has intention and meaning behind it.

Swear words also have intention and meaning behind them and some aren't offensive but they are vulgar ways to say something which can be said in regular English.

I really didn't. Words and their meanings have changed over time and context is far more important than the words themselves. Oddly enough, children swearing seems much less offensive than adults because children don't have the intellect to use language abusively or violently like an adult does. Children seeing adults using language aggressively or abusively seems like a more important thing to discourage than which words adults might pick when being aggressive or abusive.

Consider this in another way: someone is insulting you and abusing you in a language you don't understand. Ultimately, they are just sounds. To you they have zero meaning. If you have no idea what they mean, you can't be offended by them. You might find their aggressive nature towards you (yelling, waving their hands around, etc.) an indication of what they mean, but though their body language you are determining their meaning. The words are still just sounds.

I agree with bigkaye: worrying about the words more than the meaning or emotion someone is attaching to them seems silly.

Yes, this is the point I was trying to get across. People mostly use swear words to try act tough or cool, it is why I consider people who swear constantly ignorant. They are just trying too hard to act tough/cool.

Generally, I classify that sort of person as a mindless cretin and ignore them from that point on.

If you can't express yourself without constant profanity, don't bother talking at all.

With a bunch of salty Marines, Navy and USAF types in the family swearing certainly happened, but we rarely used more than "damn" in front of our kids and discouraged it.

Perfectly fine in your car, or private home, with friends and family.

It gets disturbing in a restaurant, or a convenience store, listening to disrespectful teens, yelling at the top of the voice -- trying to be 'cool' -- but looking like idiots.

Perfectly fine in your car, or private home, with friends and family.

It gets disturbing in a restaurant, or a convenience store, listening to disrespectful teens, yelling at the top of the voice -- trying to be 'cool' -- but looking like idiots.

Ignore them, it isn't hard.

I really didn't. Words and their meanings have changed over time and context is far more important than the words themselves. Oddly enough, children swearing seems much less offensive than adults because children don't have the intellect to use language abusively or violently like an adult does. Children seeing adults using language aggressively or abusively seems like a more important thing to discourage than which words adults might pick when being aggressive or abusive.

Consider this in another way: someone is insulting you and abusing you in a language you don't understand. Ultimately, they are just sounds. To you they have zero meaning. If you have no idea what they mean, you can't be offended by them. You might find their aggressive nature towards you (yelling, waving their hands around, etc.) an indication of what they mean, but though their body language you are determining their meaning. The words are still just sounds.

I agree with bigkaye: worrying about the words more than the meaning or emotion someone is attaching to them seems silly.

Not many words have changed, new words have come into play and other words have become more socially acceptable though.

Children do have the intellect to use language in an aggressive manner.

Meaning to words can be seen via body language, volume and pitch also even if I don't speak the same language. It doesn't change the meaning behind the words if I don't speak the same language or if I can decipher what they are saying via other means.

Words have a static meaning, you can use sarcasm and body language to twist the meaning of them or joke around but that really has nothing to do with this because you can do that without using swear words.

absolutely. I've played a FPS on xbox live before

Which probably has more to do with anonymity than anything else.

Regardless of what anyone thinks about swearing, telling a police officer you just heard someone swear and expect them to warn them is ######ing stupid. She merely overheard someone else's conversation, which I think is called eavesdropping, something also considered equally rude.

Which probably has more to do with anonymity than anything else.

Regardless of what anyone thinks about swearing, telling a police officer you just heard someone swear and expect them to warn them is ######ing stupid. She merely overheard someone else's conversation, which I think is called eavesdropping, something also considered equally rude.

While true and I agree 100%, under the law of ordinance in that part of SC the woman who was annoyed by what she heard had the full right to lodge a complaint for disorderly conduct. 

"Disorderly conduct within the city is hereby prohibited. It shall constitute disorderly conduct for any person to engage in riotous conduct of any kind or to declaim or cry out in a noisy, scandalous or abusive manner in any taxicab, bus or other public conveyance, or in any place of public worship or amusement, or on any street, sidewalk or other public place, or sufficiently near to any such place, or to any residence or place of business as to disturb or annoy any other person."

They go on to further say, "Utter, while in a state of anger, in the presence of another, any bawdy, lewd or obscene words or epithets." but I'm unable to find a clear definition of what bawdly, lewd or obscene consists of.. so I guess its treated like harassment and how it was intended don't matter, but how it was received. Meaning anyone can find anything offensive and officers would have to act on it.

This just goes to show that people are getting arrested today for the stupidest of crimes, hell, swearing shouldn't even be considered a crime. 

I thought we were living in 2014, not 1614.

If this was 1614, swearing could be grounds for treason and execution. Hence, this woman would have gotten off easy.

yesterday i was in wal-mart & some lady kept looking at me & i said you got a f'ing problem. she said no, i said move the f along then. still waiting for the police 

Truth. When my kids were little bitty I'd filter my language but I drop F bombs all the time now particularly when they're being punks! ;)

I went golfing with a guy from Scotland once. He was visiting stateside for some reason. Anyway, his language was epic. He'd be doing 8 life sentences after that one round. The funniest thing he'd say when he hit a ball was "DROP YA SLUT!" LOL

People need to lighten up. The lady who heard the foul language needs to reexamine her priorities. The police need to also. Hopefully the judge will agree that it's a colossal waste of time and throw it out of court.

Scottish you say? Perchance he is related to the great Malcolm Tucker?

Present.  I don't cuss around anyone.  If you have to use vulgar language all the time, like this woman does (she admitted she has a filthy mouth, even when not angry), you've got some social skills that need work.

It's a form of expression :)

While true and I agree 100%, under the law of ordinance in that part of SC the woman who was annoyed by what she heard had the full right to lodge a complaint for disorderly conduct. 

"Disorderly conduct within the city is hereby prohibited. It shall constitute disorderly conduct for any person to engage in riotous conduct of any kind or to declaim or cry out in a noisy, scandalous or abusive manner in any taxicab, bus or other public conveyance, or in any place of public worship or amusement, or on any street, sidewalk or other public place, or sufficiently near to any such place, or to any residence or place of business as to disturb or annoy any other person."

They go on to further say, "Utter, while in a state of anger, in the presence of another, any bawdy, lewd or obscene words or epithets." but I'm unable to find a clear definition of what bawdly, lewd or obscene consists of.. so I guess its treated like harassment and how it was intended don't matter, but how it was received. Meaning anyone can find anything offensive and officers would have to act on it.

IDK how that would stand up against the first amendment "free speech" right. You might not be able to abuse people, but not permitted to utter something obscene or lewd in another's presence? 

Oh well. I think my city has a law forbidding any swearing in public, so I can't get too uppity about what's going on in South Carolina.  :laugh:

What parent doesn't cuss to and around their kids?  The things I said around my kids ... if arrested for it, I'd be serving a life sentence

This parent, I can honestly say I never swore around my kids, they're both grown ups now and I STILL don't. Infact I don't swear ever :D

If she does it in her own home, that's her choice.

But when you swear in public around children, yours or someone elses, then depending on where you live it can be a legal issue. Lots of places have bylaws about obscene language in public & around minors.

Not saying I agree, just it's the real world. There's a time and a place for everything, swearing over pizza in a grocery store, probably not one of them.

yesterday i was in wal-mart & some lady kept looking at me & i said you got a f'ing problem. she said no, i said move the f along then. still waiting for the police 

Sure, because that couldn't have been handled in a more polite and classy way. I feel bad for the lady.

I understand that when people stare at you it triggers something that makes you want to snap, but the key is to simply not give in to that sort of behavior. It's almost always what they want and you come off as the bad guy. Guess who wins in that situation?

• Like 2

I don't think the person reporting the problem was necessarily the problem here... more so, the officer that was involved did not use common sense and was most likely undertrained/overarmed like most of the police force here in the US.

For all we know, it may have sounded like legitimate verbal abuse. There is a difference between uttering a cuss word and verbal abuse, but we don't really know how this mother sounded and it may have raised a red flag with a lot of you who are otherwise defending her.

Anyway, this shouldn't have gone further than a warning especially if this was the first complaint about this particular person.

Does anyone honestly believe not swearing around their kids made them better people? Our species is pretty hopeless if profanity heard as a child can turn you into a no-hoper.