Photo

Power supply 24 pin power connector issue

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Xtreme2damax

Xtreme2damax

Master of Everything

Posted 16 August 2014 - 21:45

How can I permanently fix the 24-pin connector from the psu to the motherboard? This damned thing makes the system shut down, the pins on the wires are receding further in the holes causing a loose connection to the connector on the motherboard.

I know that's the issue because when this happened before I pushed the pins/connectors up and that resolved the system shutdowns but I'm tired of fooling with it. I wonder why the pins are receding and if there is a way to keep them from doing this? The psu is a Corsair HX850, I'm reluctant to rma since that would mean system downtime plus I'm not sure this is something the warranty would cover and seems like a simple fix.

Thanks.

#2 Mindovermaster

Mindovermaster

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 10
  • Phone: HTC ONE V

Posted 16 August 2014 - 23:44

Might want to strip it then reinsert the cables 1 by 1. If it is the plastic insert that is bad, you can always buy a new header.

#3 T3X4S

T3X4S

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 16 August 2014 - 23:48

Its modular - cant you just get a new 24pin main cable ?

#4 Bonfire

Bonfire

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Rotary Dial

Posted 16 August 2014 - 23:54

Its modular - cant you just get a new 24pin main cable ?

The main power cable is hard wired, at least on this model I believe. Have you tried contacting Corsair? I don't know if it is under warranty still but it is always worth a try. I've had companies replace things for me when I wrote to them and told them about the problem. First time I've ever heard of this happening; check that the little clips that hold the pins in place on the cable are in place. The pins should snap in and not be able to slide out.

#5 T3X4S

T3X4S

Neowinian

Posted 17 August 2014 - 00:00

I think this might come down to one of those cases where the act of doing an RMA is more painful than just getting a new PSU.

Because the 2-3 weeks it takes for Corsair to complete the whole process, youre without a PSU....

I understand I am not like many people, my time is worth more than anything else, for the most part -  if I have to spend more than a couple of hours on something - its tossed, and replaced.  Opportunity Cost is something I always take into consideration.  Which is: "What is this decision costing me ?"

#6 +goretsky

goretsky

Neowinian Senior

Posted 17 August 2014 - 01:49

Hello,

You can always see if Corsair is willing to do an "advance ship" RMA, where they take a credit card number as a security deposit and immediately ship you the replacement.  If the defective part doesn't arrive in 7 days (or whatever) they then charge the card.

Another option would be to just purchase a new power supply so you're up and running immediately, and then do the RMA at your leisure.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky