Windows 9 and Windows 365 expected to See The Light Of Day

The builds without the start menu that aren't part of the main branch are probably the ones they are working on for tablet only I'd bet.  The start menu is something you'll see only on traditional desktops and laptops from what I've been hearing, the system will, or should, change depending on the hardware connected.

As interesting as the desktop side changes are, because I still mostly use my desktop compared to my tablet, i'm much more interested in what they do with WP and RT and making them one OS for phone and tablet.

The way I understood it was that there will be no more start screen, but the new start menu will be able to go full screen. Any ideas about that?

The way I understood it was that there will be no more start screen, but the new start menu will be able to go full screen. Any ideas about that?

I know that your comment was not directed toward me, but I would hate if the Start screen is not available as an option, especially since the interactive Live Tiles shown by Microsoft Research look so interesting . . .

The start screen will not go away. What I think Microsoft will do is: if you're using a desktop/laptop, the start menu is enabled by default. If you're using a tablet/touch device, the start screen is enabled by default. Users will then a have a choice to continue using the default start, or change to another.

I know that your comment was not directed toward me, but I would hate if the Start screen is not available as an option, especially since the interactive Live Tiles shown by Microsoft Research look so interesting . . .

Here's where the story comes from: http://winsupersite.com/windows-8/start-menu-will-replace-start-screen-threshold

The Threshold Start menu already has a side for tiles, so a maximized Start menu would basically be the same thing as the Start screen plus a traditional Start menu column on the left. I'd assume there's a way to hide the traditional column too.

Here's where the story comes from: http://winsupersite.com/windows-8/start-menu-will-replace-start-screen-threshold

The Threshold Start menu already has a side for tiles, so a maximized Start menu would basically be the same thing as the Start screen plus a traditional Start menu column on the left. I'd assume there's a way to hide the traditional column too.

That's . . . not what I wanted to hear.

Are there builds of Windows vNext without a start menu: yes. Are they part of the main branch: no.

Tks Brad for finally decided to share this info, although (some) OEM people had even known about it for quite a while.

Could you clarify slightly further? : Does winmain builds has it? - yes, no, or you don't know. Tks.

Btw, clever move to say "vNext". :)

The Start Screen should still be there. Microsoft is said to be including more customization features for it.

The Start Screen should still be there. Microsoft is said to be including more customization features for it.

I really hope so. My concern is not just about the Start screen itself, because it is difficult for me to imagine how one would (enjoyably) use the interactive Live Tiles on the Start menu . . .

I really hope so. My concern is not just about the Start screen itself, because it is difficult for me to imagine how one would (enjoyably) use the interactive Live Tiles on the Start menu . . .

I assume that when the new start menu is maximized it will function like the start screen we have now, hopefully with some improvements obviously

The main one i'm hoping for is the ability to move tiles around freely like you can on WP, without all the other tiles rearranging

I assume that when the new start menu is maximized it will function like the start screen we have now, hopefully with some improvements obviously

The main one i'm hoping for is the ability to move tiles around freely like you can on WP, without all the other tiles rearranging

Without knowing what the final new start menu will look like (other than that early version they showed us) and what changes they're making to the start screen itself, it'd be hard to say if when you "maximize" the start menu you just get a full screen version of it or not.   I doubt that's the case though, when it's a menu it makes more sense to show a app list or something more than just the tiles, but when it's a full screen like now in 8 then you don't have to show that stuff.

I wouldn't be surprised if the menu itself has a toggle switch you can click on, or at the least they just have a option you can set in the taskbar properties or in PC Settings.    It also shouldn't be a surprise to see more things from WPs start screen make their way into the Windows version, like what you talk about but also the new live folders feature they just added to WP8.1.1.  

The PCBeta guy has updated his FB profile page, although personally I think it's a funny idea for not posting links, anyway, a promise is a promise, it's not difficult to find the post. :)

000747x47bbsdfiwicgwcu.png.thumb.jpg

The PCBeta guy has updated his FB profile page, although personally I think it's a funny idea for not posting links, anyway, a promise is a promise, it's not difficult to find the post. :)

000747x47bbsdfiwicgwcu.png.thumb.jpg

Image is not loading.

I've heard of a "New Charm Bar" for win9, don't know the details except they (could) have more new functions, this could be the answer to your question. :)

Any idea which major features will be present in the Windows Technical Preview next month? Is there an Internet Explorer 12 in there?

Any idea which major features will be present in the Windows Technical Preview next month? Is there an Internet Explorer 12 in there?

You know, with the whole Developer Channel release they did a while ago, you'd expect a newer version of IE will be in this TP, but I also expected them to have updated the DC by now, and they haven't. 

Since we heard about "Windows 365", we only know a name, and it has been under development in MS, now thee is a (very) vague idea:

The Bing translation is awful, here's the proper translation:
Windows 365 is something similar to Office 365, but inside there is a "bundle of things"(probably some components), and so there's a difference, can only know the details when this "thing" is developed by the win365 team.

screen1723.jpg

Btw, Brad has stated in a very carefully phrased statement that he has not seen start menu in his friedn's copy, he probably has some kind of private NDA so I won't go further, but I talked with a OEM guy, his copy doesn't has it either, and his comment was, he wouldn't rule out it could exists in some branch copy, but has to consider this :

Start menu is not just another independent feature, it calls everything inside the Windows OS, functions/features/apps/softwares, e.g., if for the team developing mail apps, naturally they need to test if the mail app tile will work properly in the start menu, not just the tile could launch, but the live tiles, interactive functions, tile settings, etc, insdie the start menu which has its own complicated API for different settings of the menu itself. :)

Start menu is present In 982X builds, I haven't seen 983X yet.

OK, when can you spill the beans??? All this cryptic stuff is driving me mad!!!!! :)

Can you give us something on that new start menu? Have you seen it maximized?

Does it still have the same functionality as in Win 8.1 when it's maximized?

i wish if they could merge those 2 control panel into one

If they could I would rather them merge all the settings across everything into one. For example, changing file permissions dialogue has many different windows that pops up, viewing wifi saved wifi password also opens up a separate box etc.

• Like 2

If they could I would rather them merge all the settings across everything into one. For example, changing file permissions dialogue has many different windows that pops up, viewing wifi saved wifi password also opens up a separate box etc.

I thought he meant that by combining the two, that all settings would be shared between the two. I must have misread his comment . . .

I thought he meant that by combining the two, that all settings would be shared between the two. I must have misread his comment . . .

He either meant that or, probably, that instead of two control panels they just have one.   It's going to take a good bit of time to redo all the different advanced settings boxes that pop up when you start to dig into control panel.  With PC Settings, starting new, they've been adding the most used stuff, but even now if you look there are some things that aren't in PC Settings but in the settings charm flyout window to the right.  Like start screen personalization comes to mind.    In general they have things scattered all around the place, it would be best to put them all together into one area IMO.

In general they have things scattered all around the place, it would be best to put them all together into one area IMO.

I would love it if they added everything to PC Settings since the interface seems to be much more consistent than the Control Panel with its various dialog boxes, windows, et cetera . . .

• Like 2