Windows 9 and Windows 365 expected to See The Light Of Day

AFAIK, the only legit win9 features are those Brad had seen "with his eyeballs" on the 982x builds, no need to take other rumors seriously. :)

This thread and the other one have confused the heck out of me. In summary, what is the current status of Windows 9 TP, Windows 9, Windows 365, and Windows 9 DP?

edit: Fixed Windows 8 DP to Windows 9 DP :)

This thread and the other one have confused the heck out of me. In summary, what is the current status of Windows 9 TP, Windows 9, Windows 365, and Windows 8 DP?

LOL, welcome to the party. :laugh:

- I don't believe even Brad could answer you about win9TP/win9, despite he is now enjoying his 983x toy.

- No details about win365, except the project exists and is "similar but different" with Office 365.

- I guess you mean win9DP? rumor I heard is win9TP is not for public release, instead there might be a win9DP (with different branding).

Any idea on what build the Windows Technical Preview will be?

They often like to use rounded out numbers for such things, if they're at the 983x range now, and September 30th is the preview date for sure, they'll have to sign off on the build for that in advance, maybe a week before the 30th so they make sure there's no big show stopping bug in the build before it goes out.  My bet is on the build being 9900, we'll know for sure as the date gets closer, it's only September 5th now, they could jump up into the 10000's by the 30th.

MS is not Apple. They don't have the luxury of breaking backwards compatibility with decades old API's, hanging their partners and app developers out to dry, losing untold millions worth of contracts, and forcing users to abandon perfectly usable devices. Apple can do that because they have no enterprise presence and a captive cult audience who've been brainwashed into upgrading every year, so they can hold back features as long as they want.

Windows isn't going to abandon backcompat, its pretty much the whole foundation. What I predict is that all future dev is going to be done on WinRT, more and more OS layers will be moved away so they aren't just wrappers over legacy code, and there will be an emulation layer for legacy apps.

It is a lot more subtile.

Nobody is talking about deprecating the complete Win32-desktop.

But they deprecated a lot of functions during 2005 and 2006.

The POSIX strnicmp, memicmp, ltoa was replaced with the ISO-C++ _strnicmp, _memicmp, _ltoa.

We had source code written during 2000, written with Visual Studio 6.0 and we ported it to VS2010.

We only had to replace the POSIX-conformant functions with the ISO-C++-conformant.

Funny thing is the POSIX-conformant exes written with VS6.0 are still running on Win8.1.

But I think with Win9 it won't run anymore.

VS6.0 Redistributable will not install on Win9.

If you look at the MSDN you will see the history of different Versions:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/de-de/library/chd90w8e%28v=vs.80%29.aspx

Click on the Dropdown and you will see VS2013 / VS2010 / VS2008 / VS2005

Older versions are completely disappearing from the documentation.

Visual Basic 6.0 Runtime will not run on Win9 because of this deprecation.

They have somthing like a "red line". Every Project built with a tool older VS2005 and newer then VS2005.

This is reasonable because Microsoft gave the 3rd-Party-Developers 10 years time to fix their problems.

They are not doing it because they are evil.

They are doing it because they need smaller installations

And because a lot of old Trojan horses would stop working from one day to the next.

I don't think it's right to have the notification center just be another icon in the system trey mix.  I think they should have the notification center be the new system trey itself, and let it hold the trey icons inside itself while also offering you the rest of the features it brings through a arrow or a button etc.  

I don't think it's right to have the notification center just be another icon in the system trey mix.  I think they should have the notification center be the new system trey itself, and let it hold the trey icons inside itself while also offering you the rest of the features it brings through a arrow or a button etc.  

This is version .01 of 1.0, still a lot of time to improve it.

This is version .01 of 1.0, still a lot of time to improve it.

True, but how ready will it be by the time September 30th comes around is the key?  I mean people could rag on it if it's not good from the start even when this is a early preview, MS gets no slack it seems.

True, but how ready will it be by the time September 30th comes around is the key?  I mean people could rag on it if it's not good from the start even when this is a early preview, MS gets no slack it seems.

I believe Mr. Warren should buy some EuroLotto to make full use of his luck, if the MS guys really decides (next week) to talk/show/release win9 preview on Sept. 30. :)

btw, the preview is just M2, things(features) could change.

I believe Mr. Warren should buy some EuroLotto to make full use of his luck, if the MS guys really decides (next week) to talk/show/release win9 preview on Sept. 30. :)

btw, the preview is just M2, things(features) could change.

You think they won't announce Winodws 9 30 September?

You know how Microsoft said that there is going to be big things for windows at the IFA? I actually have a feeling that Windows 9 is going to be unveiled at the IFA in the coming weeks.

You know how Microsoft said that there is going to be big things for windows at the IFA? I actually have a feeling that Windows 9 is going to be unveiled at the IFA in the coming weeks.

I was sure I heard that MS was going to release some information related to Windows today at IFA

Yet nobody reported anything, maybe tomorrow?

tela9.1.png

Please tell me thats not real 

*cries on Brad Sams manboobs if it is*

It says it's an alpha, but I don't think it's real. The taskbar looks a lot like this concept:

And plus, the corners on the mid part of the taskbar just look...wrong. 

They are better having it like the sliding panel from left as in OS X with an option for "always on top" instead of re-sizing the desktop.

It says it's an alpha, but I don't think it's real. The taskbar looks a lot like this concept:

And plus, the corners on the mid part of the taskbar just look...wrong. 

I pray your right mate, coz that screenshot is horrid if it is the real thing. 

I pray your right mate, coz that screenshot is horrid if it is the real thing. 

Even if say this is real, the final version is probably going to look quite different. Remember how the ribbon UI looked in the Win8 previews, with the placeholder circles and whatnot. 

Oh god thank the mighty lord thats not Windows 9 :D
That looked like everything thats horrible with Windows 8, put a blender, and that was the result (actually making Windows 8 worse)
Im happy again :D

tela9.1.png

Please tell me thats not real 

*cries on Brad Sams manboobs if it is*

Sorry, but that has to be fake. It looks like poo, and doesn't at all match the hints Brad has been dropping. It's also labeled "SkyDrive", which Microsoft hasn't been using for some time.

Hopefully, but who knows? They should integrate the Microsoft Mathematics 4.0's graphing functionality into the Calculator app as well as GeoGebra's functionality. Notepad also needs a Modern UI counterpart maybe with Notepad++ functionality. Lastly, much needed is a good iMovie, iPhoto, and Garageband competitor. A Microsoft enjoyment suite. Wishful thinking though. 

I agree for the most part, but not with Notepad. Notepad is perfect how it is, a simple, no-frills text editor. I would like some minor enhancements to it, but nothing in the order of the Ribbon. We have WordPad for that.