Windows 9 and Windows 365 expected to See The Light Of Day

win9 win365

194 replies to this topic

#181 +Quillz

Quillz

A Talking Pokemon

• Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 14 September 2014 - 07:35

Things such as icons, sounds, etc. can be added in very late in development, since they usually won't cause any major issues. I believe during Vista's development, the final login and logout noises didn't show up until a late RC. 

For Win9, it's possible that new icons, sounds, etc. may very well show up in a future beta. I doubt what we are seeing now has been entirely set in stone.

#182 George P

George P

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: HTC Windows Phone 8X

Posted 14 September 2014 - 07:55

If the rumor that MS has different internal builds with different levels of UI changes floating around MS HQ then I'd say it's a safe bet what we're going to get in this first preview isn't anything close to final.  I think it's good to think of this as a M3/Milestone 3 preview before they enter the beta stage of development. 

#183 OP +FaiKee

FaiKee

Neowinian

Posted 18 September 2014 - 00:31

Seems MS is planning(or actually, planned) a beta-testing for win9, but I don't have much details yet: the tester first installs a win7(or SP1?), then he would upgrade on-line to win9TP, after that, he shall receive internal updates and could upgrade all the way to RTM, expected next Fall. This would be done under NDA because the updates are all internals, and the first win7->win9TP update is expected around end-Sept or early-Oct.

So MS is seemingly testing the win7->win9 upgrade path, I don't know if the users installing a public pre-release would be able to do it too. :)

#184 bdsams

bdsams

Neowinian Senior

Posted 18 September 2014 - 00:36

Seems MS is planning(or actually, planned) a beta-testing for win9, but I don't have much details yet: the tester first installs a win7(or SP1?), then he would upgrade on-line to win9TP, after that, he shall receive internal updates and could upgrade all the way to RTM, expected next Fall. This would be done under NDA because the updates are all internals, and the first win7->win9TP update is expected around end-Sept or early-Oct.

So MS is seemingly testing the win7->win9 upgrade path, I don't know if the users installing a public pre-release would be able to do it too. :)

I havent heard that specifically, but it aligns nicely to my rapid update path for Windows in this post: http://www.neowin.ne...lly-interesting

#185 Zac Bowden

Zac Bowden

Managing Editor at WinBeta

• Phone: Nokia Lumia 925

Posted 18 September 2014 - 00:37

Wait, so you're saying that it's possible for Microsoft to allow selected people to partake in a test which allows them to upgrade from an internal development channel rather than the public one?

#186 OP +FaiKee

FaiKee

Neowinian

Posted 18 September 2014 - 00:46

I havent heard that specifically, but it aligns nicely to my rapid update path for Windows in this post: http://www.neowin.ne...lly-interesting

Wait, you reckon Microsoft has already begun testing Windows 7 > Windows 9 upgrades? I assume this is a private test as of right now?

I only have a preliminary doc but it's under NDA, hopefully if I do receive the update then I could post something, but I also heard the rumor that this particular win7-win9TP update could be public, the following updates are not(do take all these as rumors). :)

#187 simplythomas

simplythomas

Neowinian

Posted 18 September 2014 - 17:08

Could someone do me a favor?

This is codeproject:
http://www.codeproje...rom-a-CListCtrl

This is a really really old project.

Ther is this link inside it:
Download demo project - 36.2 Kb

Inside this project in the "Release folder" there is an old MFC4.2 app.

This program is running with win8.1.
I'm interested in "is it still running on win9".

Or do you have to go to "Control panel->Add/Remove Windows Features"
And check the "legacy language package" checkbox to run.
I think that MS is deprecating some things.

#188 OP +FaiKee

FaiKee

Neowinian

Posted 19 September 2014 - 00:25

LOL, not a good thing for public release. :laugh:

http://pcportal.org.ru/forum/8-5108-22

715178747.png

#189 Sszecret

Sszecret

Neowinian

• Phone: Nokia Lumia 800

Posted 19 September 2014 - 06:36

LOL, not a good thing for public release. :laugh:

http://pcportal.org.ru/forum/8-5108-22

715178747.png

The feature is back!

eGVucnR1MTI%3D_o_windows-xp-error-music.

#190 George P

George P

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: HTC Windows Phone 8X

Posted 19 September 2014 - 07:08

Kind of funny though really those are two different issues, the tech preview image looks like a bug/error in the DWM not refreshing the desktop right.   The other is just old Windows error popups repeating for some reason.

#191 Sszecret

Sszecret

Neowinian

• Phone: Nokia Lumia 800

Posted 19 September 2014 - 07:13

Kind of funny though really those are two different issues, the tech preview image looks like a bug/error in the DWM not refreshing the desktop right.   The other is just old Windows error popups repeating for some reason.

Fair enough. That said, if you were to remove the title bars, that would make for a killer wallpaper. :D

#192 OP +FaiKee

FaiKee

Neowinian

Posted Today, 02:51

Brad has blogged about win9 would recognize the PC device (screen-shot courtesy of VB in QQ group) :)

screen1737.jpg

#193 ians18

ians18

Where Unprofessional Commenting Looks Better.

• Tech Issues Solved: 2
  • OS: Windows 8.1 August Update (RT/Standard/Pro), OSX Yoesmite
  • Phone: Microsoft Lumia 521 on T-mo w/ WP 8.1 Update (DEV) "Lumia Black" Firmware

Posted Today, 05:09

Brad has blogged about win9 would recognize the PC device (screen-shot courtesy of VB in QQ group) :)

104527ty16sjv557jotcq1.jpg

The image does not appear. 

#194 OP +FaiKee

FaiKee

Neowinian

Posted Today, 05:19

The image does not appear. 

Fixed . :)

#195 Ian W

Ian W

Physical presence asserted.

• Tech Issues Solved: 5

Posted Today, 05:29

screen1737.jpg

I will admit that this is a trivial complaint, but it is slightly irritating that "pc" is not capitalized. I hope that this changes in the final release.