Windows 9 and Windows 365 expected to See The Light Of Day

If they could I would rather them merge all the settings across everything into one. For example, changing file permissions dialogue has many different windows that pops up, viewing wifi saved wifi password also opens up a separate box etc.

I thought he meant that by combining the two, that all settings would be shared between the two. I must have misread his comment . . .

one control panel instead of two that what i meant 

would be even better if they merge other stuff like you said ians18

I would love it if they added everything to PC Settings since the interface seems to be much more consistent than the Control Panel with its various dialog boxes, windows, et cetera . . .

I agree, since PC Settings is new they can add things to it instead of trying to clean up Control Panel, probably easier and quicker to just add to the other.  Besides, once you can have PC Settings in a window on the desktop the need to keep control panel around drops a bit more.

My thoughts on the use of the word Threshold:

Microsoft has a quite strict software development lifecycle (SDL) guidance.

VB6 is not going to run on Win 9 - Paul Yuknewicz Group Program Manager has made this clear statement:
http://visualstudio.uservoice.com/forums/121579-visual-studio/suggestions/3440221-bring-back-classic-visual-basic-an-improved-versi 

The VB6 runtime was last shipped in Windows 8.1 and will be supported for the lifetime of Windows 8.1. Support and interop are great tools to move forward incrementally.

Next: it seems quite obvious that .net framework 2.0 will not run on Win 9

.net 2.0 is a component of an Operating system, it is last shipped within Win8.1. The security-support is directly tied with Win 8.1.

Win 8.1 is security-supported until April 2024.

There are guidlines that as an win32-app-developer you should divide the executable path from your data-path

c:\program file(x86)\yourprogram\

c:\programdata\yourprogram\

This is currently not enforced. You can write "not optimal" programs which load data from the same path as the executable lies.
For example the Android-SDK or Eclipse are doing exactly this.
Those programs do not strictly divide executable and data.

But this is a prerequisite for a good "Refresh your Operating System"-Experience.

And Microsoft is looking a little jealous at IOS.
They have an IOS-eco-system where the devices are "updated or phased out" so all iphone 4 and iphone 5 have the same IOS-version.
With this eco-system the App-Developers are forced to follow the cadence.

As brad already mentions there is no Win 9 / Win 10 / Win 11.

There is something like an "API-Level" similar to the API-Level  in Android.
2.3.3 is API 10

4.0.1 is API 14

4.0.4 is API 15 and so on.

This is a lot easier to maintain.

Microsoft has deprecated "sprintf_s" in 2005 and it is still running perfectly smooth.

They have to hit the lazy app-developers or nobody is following. They could cut down a lot of bloatware inside Windows if they enforce their deprectaion-guidance.
They released the Surface Pro and the reviewers are crying about the big footprint of the OS-installation.

And there is a lot of time between deprecation (some of the things where released in 2003 or 2004) and the release of Win 9.

I think that we will see a tidied up Windows 9 but not everybody will be happy with this.

Faikee posted a screenshot yesterday - there was a rectangle one line under the cortana feature.
I am quite shure that this is the new Photosynth / Kinect / 3d scanning feature ( Google Project Tango / Intel Realsense Project Cynthiana / Pelican Imaging ).

They want to make the Nokia Storyteller-App more immersive and want to combine it with Photosynth.

My two cents - I enjoy reading this thread,

Thomas

So, with Win9 going to allow Modern apps to be windowed, does that mean the Modern Calculator, Photo Viewer, etc will completely replace the OS versions of Calculator, Photo Viewer, etc? Because that would make sense to me. I don't see why Win8 needs to have such redundancy as it is.

• Like 2

So, with Win9 going to allow Modern apps to be windowed, does that mean the Modern Calculator, Photo Viewer, etc will completely replace the OS versions of Calculator, Photo Viewer, etc? Because that would make sense to me. I don't see why Win8 needs to have such redundancy as it is.

Hopefully, but who knows? They should integrate the Microsoft Mathematics 4.0's graphing functionality into the Calculator app as well as GeoGebra's functionality. Notepad also needs a Modern UI counterpart maybe with Notepad++ functionality. Lastly, much needed is a good iMovie, iPhoto, and Garageband competitor. A Microsoft enjoyment suite. Wishful thinking though. 

I don't see why not?  No need to have two versions of the same apps, might as well drop the old desktop ones and push the modern ones going forward.

Hope the news on IFA Berlin tomorrow is about Win Threshold, maybe the announcement with a Preview at the end of the month

Maybe they'll show us some bits???

My thoughts on the use of the word Threshold:

Microsoft has a quite strict software development lifecycle (SDL) guidance.

VB6 is not going to run on Win 9 - Paul Yuknewicz Group Program Manager has made this clear statement:

http://visualstudio.uservoice.com/forums/121579-visual-studio/suggestions/3440221-bring-back-classic-visual-basic-an-improved-versi 

Next: it seems quite obvious that .net framework 2.0 will not run on Win 9

.net 2.0 is a component of an Operating system, it is last shipped within Win8.1. The security-support is directly tied with Win 8.1.

Win 8.1 is security-supported until April 2024.

There are guidlines that as an win32-app-developer you should divide the executable path from your data-path

c:\program file(x86)\yourprogram\

c:\programdata\yourprogram\

This is currently not enforced. You can write "not optimal" programs which load data from the same path as the executable lies.

For example the Android-SDK or Eclipse are doing exactly this.

Those programs do not strictly divide executable and data.

But this is a prerequisite for a good "Refresh your Operating System"-Experience.

And Microsoft is looking a little jealous at IOS.

They have an IOS-eco-system where the devices are "updated or phased out" so all iphone 4 and iphone 5 have the same IOS-version.

With this eco-system the App-Developers are forced to follow the cadence.

As brad already mentions there is no Win 9 / Win 10 / Win 11.

There is something like an "API-Level" similar to the API-Level  in Android.

2.3.3 is API 10

4.0.1 is API 14

4.0.4 is API 15 and so on.

This is a lot easier to maintain.

Microsoft has deprecated "sprintf_s" in 2005 and it is still running perfectly smooth.

They have to hit the lazy app-developers or nobody is following. They could cut down a lot of bloatware inside Windows if they enforce their deprectaion-guidance.

They released the Surface Pro and the reviewers are crying about the big footprint of the OS-installation.

And there is a lot of time between deprecation (some of the things where released in 2003 or 2004) and the release of Win 9.

I think that we will see a tidied up Windows 9 but not everybody will be happy with this.

Faikee posted a screenshot yesterday - there was a rectangle one line under the cortana feature.

I am quite shure that this is the new Photosynth / Kinect / 3d scanning feature ( Google Project Tango / Intel Realsense Project Cynthiana / Pelican Imaging ).

They want to make the Nokia Storyteller-App more immersive and want to combine it with Photosynth.

My two cents - I enjoy reading this thread,

Thomas

That'd be cool. But I doubt it. They had the chance of deprecating everything, like the Explorer, WDM, WOW64, older runtimes, the registry and huge parts of the Kernel. Though they didn't. I'm sure that all those who were / are whining about Metro / Modern UI forced Microsoft to revive something that could have been dead in W9. I wished for W9 to have the Desktop Experience as an optional feature similar to Windows Server. That would have stopped malware once and for all and reduced the amount of damage a non-tech user could do to his / her system. Before installing that legacy-component, every user would have to acknowledge that system stability and the security of data could be compromised by this step.

Anyways - don't wanna mourn about spilled milk - I doubt they'll drop the availability of said runtimes. Even if they'll do that, I'm sure you'll only have to copy some dlls and a few registry keys to revive that functionality.

Watched WW last night and MJF talked a bit about Windows 365, said she's been told it's a new way to test out different builds, so far they've been doing it internally but that it could expand as a public program.  Think about how websites/servies test new things, push out new changes to the UI or add a feature to select users while most others don't see the changes.  It's the same idea, so she's saying.   You'll have a group of testers/members/partners or however they do it, and MS will push out different builds with different things to test how users react to them instead of pushing out something to everyone in one go.  

Don't know if this will be public really or just for partners but it doesn't sound like what most people thought it would be, she's saying MS has zero plans to do Windows 365 subscriptions like they have now with Office for consumers.

• Like 2

Watched WW last night and MJF talked a bit about Windows 365, said she's been told it's a new way to test out different builds, so far they've been doing it internally but that it could expand as a public program.  Think about how websites/servies test new things, push out new changes to the UI or add a feature to select users while most others don't see the changes.  It's the same idea, so she's saying.   You'll have a group of testers/members/partners or however they do it, and MS will push out different builds with different things to test how users react to them instead of pushing out something to everyone in one go.  

Don't know if this will be public really or just for partners but it doesn't sound like what most people thought it would be, she's saying MS has zero plans to do Windows 365 subscriptions like they have now with Office for consumers.

Tks George P, and now she says win365 exists? lmao.

btw, forget about the rest of talks, just loads of crap. :)

Either way I like the idea here, if it's like she's saying and the public could sign up for it as a rolling beta test/preview for new builds then I'm all for it.  Like what they have going on right now for the Xbox One basically.

Or if it's actually a real subscription plan and you get say, multiple OS installs, say 2-5 PCs and every future update to Windows as long as you keep paying then even that sounds good, I've got 3, maybe 4, PCs that i'd use something like that for and have them upgraded and up to date while now they're not, 2 are on Win8.1, one is on Win7 and one is on Vista still.  :P

Either way I like the idea here, if it's like she's saying and the public could sign up for it as a rolling beta test/preview for new builds then I'm all for it.  Like what they have going on right now for the Xbox One basically.

Or if it's actually a real subscription plan and you get say, multiple OS installs, say 2-5 PCs and every future update to Windows as long as you keep paying then even that sounds good, I've got 3, maybe 4, PCs that i'd use something like that for and have them upgraded and up to date while now they're not, 2 are on Win8.1, one is on Win7 and one is on Vista still.  :p

ATM little is known about "Project Windows 365", only it exists as listed in the MS guy's FB profile posted in OP, in contrary to what MJF said "the card is not on the table" and "fake list is fake".

As I posted earlier, the guy said the Win365 team is developing "something" that could make win365 "similar but different" with Office 365, so ATM I wouldn't speculate on its mechanism. :)

I'd gladly pay for a Windows 365 monthly subscription-type of thing if they'd allow me to manage and revoke activations when reformatting and/or after upgrading hardware (e.g. motherboards, CPUs and SSDs).

Tks George P, and now she says win365 exists? lmao.

btw, forget about the rest of talks, just loads of crap. :)

Want to point out where she says Windows 265 is fake or doesn't exist? She said the LIST was fake, NOT Windows 365.

Also, do you have a source for all that being "loads of crap"? An actual source, not a FB friend.

MS is not Apple. They don't have the luxury of breaking backwards compatibility with decades old API's, hanging their partners and app developers out to dry, losing untold millions worth of contracts, and forcing users to abandon perfectly usable devices. Apple can do that because they have no enterprise presence and a captive cult audience who've been brainwashed into upgrading every year, so they can hold back features as long as they want.

Windows isn't going to abandon backcompat, its pretty much the whole foundation. What I predict is that all future dev is going to be done on WinRT, more and more OS layers will be moved away so they aren't just wrappers over legacy code, and there will be an emulation layer for legacy apps.

MS is not Apple. They don't have the luxury of breaking backwards compatibility with decades old API's, hanging their partners and app developers out to dry, losing untold millions worth of contracts, and forcing users to abandon perfectly usable devices. Apple can do that because they have no enterprise presence and a captive cult audience who've been brainwashed into upgrading every year, so they can hold back features as long as they want.

Windows isn't going to abandon backcompat, its pretty much the whole foundation. What I predict is that all future dev is going to be done on WinRT, more and more OS layers will be moved away so they aren't just wrappers over legacy code, and there will be an emulation layer for legacy apps.

I don't think they have to remove legacy support, but the key is that they don't have to on traditional x86-64 desktop/laptop hardware.  But if we're talking the new WP/Windows RT merged OS the rumors point to, then they can drop it there, without issue.  Having a different device type helps this process, the rumors say this OS won't have the desktop for example, or it'll be just turned off and maybe users can turn it back on.  But regardless, without it in the way then more and more things can get dropped or pushed to the back with time.  As the new WinRT/Modern framework and APIs mature more then the need for those older legacy bits drop IMO.   At some point down the line it'll replace most of them.

Current builds: Mid 983X

Any idea on what build the Windows Technical Preview will be?

The start screen will not go away. What I think Microsoft will do is: if you're using a desktop/laptop, the start menu is enabled by default. If you're using a tablet/touch device, the start screen is enabled by default. Users will then a have a choice to continue using the default start, or change to another.

That sounds a little too reasonable. Whatever will the haters find to complain about ??