Poll: Should Windows 9/Threshold be X64 only?

Should Windows 9/Threshold be X64 only?  

286 members have voted

1. 1. Should Windows 9/Threshold be X64 only?

No, I see no reason for them to limit themselves to that.

The x86 emulation layer for x86 applications won't slow down or impact 64-bit apps on a 64-bit OS. 32 bit support apparently doesn't slow down 64 bit hardware adoption either, since basically all new desktops and laptops today are 64 bit.

So, in the end, I can only see a feature that can be useful at times, and needlessly restrictive if not there.

The continued inclusion of WoW64 is still rewarding developers for foot-dragging - that's why I want it gone.

As development of x64 software (applications, games, utilities, etc) has progressed, even developers that had stalled are kicking themselves for stalling - and yet others are continuing to drag their feet.

Enough already!

Name an OEM that sells laptops with just 2 GB of RAM with Windows (any version) on it.

Laptops, sure there's a few. I see a few on NewEgg right now from Toshiba and Acer, probably more but not that inclined to look further. There's other devices like Zotac's ZBox Pico. Desktop PC a hair bigger than a Pi box. 2GB. Low end budget priced stuff obviously, but it's there.

The continued inclusion of WoW64 is still rewarding developers for foot-dragging - that's why I want it gone.

Breaking compatibility with millions of programs with zero benefits gained makes no sense. I'd bet an overwhelming majority of people use x86 software daily without even realizing it. Who wants an OS that doesn't run all the software they need it to? That's just silly.

As development of x64 software (applications, games, utilities, etc) has progressed, even developers that had stalled are kicking themselves for stalling - and yet others are continuing to drag their feet.

Enough already!

The problem is the vast majority of applications don't need 64bit binaries, 32bit serves them fine. It's not "foot dragging", it's not spending time doing work that has literally no benefit.

Breaking backwards compatibility with 99.9% of all Windows apps for no reason is not a smart idea (This coming from a guy who wants Microsoft to deprecate their main APIs)

What is this fascination with 64bit only OS? :laugh: It's not holding anything back, just relax. I would rather have them spend more time on meaningful improvements like those in Windows 8.

Why are we still talking about this? It's a bad idea end of story :laugh:

Why doesn't a mod edit to the title to read

Should the 64 bit version of Windows 9 Remove support for 32bit software.