Photo

Elementary OS Beta Freya... best linux ever!

• Please log in to reply
104 replies to this topic

#1 +macoman

macoman

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 5

Posted 18 August 2014 - 18:23

I gave a try on elementary OS beta Freya and dual boot with Windows Server 2012 R2 in my beast laptop and I really feel amazing about this release. It is a clean and elegant OS based on Ubuntu 14.04. The performance is amazing, I installed the 64bit version, I removed midori browser and installed Google Chrome beta 64bit. I am very pleased to see a different linux with an amazing look... it feel like you are running a version of Apple mac os x. If I have to vote, I will give a 8 out of 10.

#2 Max Norris

Max Norris

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 22
  • Phone: HTC One (Work) Lumia 1020 (Home)

Posted 18 August 2014 - 18:28

How's the stability of the beta? Pantheon isn't for me but I've got a few people who use it (the types who only surf, check mail, basic stuff) and they were pretty happy with it. Curious how it's progressing.

#3 Lels

Lels

Man, I love being a turtle!

Posted 18 August 2014 - 18:32

I gotta say, when I was more into Linux, Elementary OS was where it was at, for me. 

#4 OP +macoman

macoman

Neowinian

Posted 18 August 2014 - 18:34

How's the stability of the beta? Pantheon isn't for me but I've got a few people who use it (the types who only surf, check mail, basic stuff) and they were pretty happy with it. Curious how it's progressing.

In my machine is very stable so far, I have not try installing yet applications... only LibreOffice and runs pretty good.

#5 duoi

duoi

Resident Superhero

Posted 19 August 2014 - 07:42

Elementary OS is a great distro. Don't forget to install Pipelight for all Windows browser plugins (Silverlight etc)

#6 +Jack Unterweger

Jack Unterweger

in linux i trust

• Tech Issues Solved: 2
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S3

Posted 19 August 2014 - 08:40

can you provide a download link? i will give it a try in virtualbox but it will never replace my kubuntu 14.04 :)

#7 Grayski

Grayski

Neowinian

Posted 19 August 2014 - 09:16

http://elementaryos....elopers-testers

Downloads for 32 / 64bit & torrent's available at bottom :)

#8 Ruti

Ruti

Geeky Geko

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Android

Posted 19 August 2014 - 12:52

I was loving elementary os as my main OS, came back to windows because of adobe(ilust,photo, indesign) cs6, but i feel i have to bloat the $#!T out of windows to get the basic security and features i need. Really missing Elementary :cry: .

How stable do you feel it compared to luna?

#9 OP +macoman

macoman

Neowinian

Posted 19 August 2014 - 13:41

I was loving elementary os as my main OS, came back to windows because of adobe(ilust,photo, indesign) cs6, but i feel i have to bloat the $#!T out of windows to get the basic security and features i need. Really missing Elementary :cry: .

Do what I did... dual boot with Windows... works like a charm. Stability is strong for been a beta and programs works great. Sometimes it will froze on the settings if you click in an option don't know why... but the good thing if happen to you, you can always go back to your panel and kill it.

#10 Ruti

Ruti

Geeky Geko

Posted 19 August 2014 - 14:19

Do what I did... dual boot with Windows... works like a charm. Stability is strong for been a beta and programs works great. Sometimes it will froze on the settings if you click in an option don't know why... but the good thing if happen to you, you can always go back to your panel and kill it.

Seems i got myself a new project, wish i could find a barebone w8.1. Thanks!

#11 daorbed9

daorbed9

Neowinian

Posted 19 August 2014 - 14:27

Yeah Office, Adobe and games are why I end up in windows more.  I would stay in Linux all the time if I could run those without emulation.

#12 Ruti

Ruti

Geeky Geko

Posted 19 August 2014 - 14:32

Yeah Office, Adobe and games are why I end up in windows more.  I would stay in Linux all the time if I could run those without emulation.

i feel you, i tried many alternatives, VMware, whinetricks, but in the end emulating high demanding software has a lot of drawbacks, and im soo used to using adobe, to get used to gimp, and other free alternatives.

#13 OP +macoman

macoman

Neowinian

Posted 19 August 2014 - 15:03

Yeah Office, Adobe and games are why I end up in windows more. I would stay in Linux all the time if I could run those without emulation.

You guys like to have a painful experience because you don't dual boot with Windows. It's a peace of cake. Just logon in your Windows machine, go to the storage management tool... Shrink your HDD to whatever you feel is fine for Linux. Then restart, plug in your USB thumb drive with elementary OS... Boot the thumb drive, setup and partition manually into the shrink space you created. Then for this beta the boot management does not work right, you just need to fix it at the end and magically you will see a blue screen with all the boot options and also for Windows. If anyone want it I can find a link with the step by step instructions.

#14 OP +macoman

macoman

Neowinian

Posted 19 August 2014 - 15:28

For anyone that want to dual boot with Windows 8.1... Here is the instructions, this is for Ubuntu 14.04... Which Elementary OS is based on.

http://www.everydayl...indows.html?m=1

#15 +fusi0n

fusi0n

Don't call it a come back

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: iPhone 6 Plus

Posted 19 August 2014 - 15:36

I can not longer dual boot on my raid. GRUB throws up.