Elementary OS Beta Freya... best linux ever!

sure! it will have even the same keyboard shortcuts.

link

I don't see what so special about adobe products. I've used them, and I was underwhelmed. The way certain people talk about them around here, it's like the sun rises and sets with them. I've yet to come across anything done in PS that can't be done in GIMP. For the average person, GIMP and Inkscape should fulfil most needs. There might be some specific use case, but I don't think it applies to the majority of people. And that's ignoring the fact that they're free.

Really Awesome, installing it today to try it out.

Can't right click on desktop and no minimize button. They say it's designed that way, but I don't understand this approach. At least give us an option for God's sake :)

in eOs luna was a Elementary Tweak that enabled the minimize button, but last time i heard about it was not yet supported in freya, might been fixed already.

I felt the same way about the right click on desktop, but after a while got used to it and stopped cluttering the desk. came back to windows and haven't used the desktop even once.

Can't right click on desktop and no minimize button. They say it's designed that way, but I don't understand this approach. At least give us an option for God's sake :)

because its designed to be simple and if you use the dockbar you can switch between open windows no need for a minimize button then.

but i agree. lacking dolphin and kde in general, its nothing for me either.

He did mention work, there is more to Office than just a word processor and spreadsheet. (InfoPath, Lync, Outlook, OneNote etc etc, none of which have a Libre equivalent), never mind could be using something designed in-house for extensibility too, wouldn't work. Know a bunch of my clients anyway rely on those. If it's just the "trio" though yea.. Libre, Kingsoft, etc, plenty of alternatives.

Even with word processors and spreadsheets, work can mean relying on VBA to varying degrees of complexity that may or may not translate well to LO. If you're just using spreadsheets for math, that's probably a lot easier to successfully migrate. Reporting, dashboards, and analytics, though? With complex suites of macros? It's a loooong walk. And Excel is still cheaper than that first leap into meaningful BI tools that a company takes as it grows.

in eOs luna was a Elementary Tweak that enabled the minimize button, but last time i heard about it was not yet supported in freya, might been fixed already.

I felt the same way about the right click on desktop, but after a while got used to it and stopped cluttering the desk. came back to windows and haven't used the desktop even once.

Here it is, patched for Freya :)

https://github.com/bmeznarsic/tweaks-freya/releases/download/v0.1/elementary-tweaks_0.1-0.146.ubuntu13.04.1_amd64.deb

https://github.com/bmeznarsic/elementary-plank-extra/releases/download/v0.1/elementary-plank-extra_0.3_amd64.deb

Freya here i goooooo

I was also excited, but unfortunately this beta, so far, was a disappointment for me... Too many bugs, I'll wait for a more stable build before I get back to eOS 100%. 

I was also excited, but unfortunately this beta, so far, was a disappointment for me... Too many bugs, I'll wait for a more stable build before I get back to eOS 100%. 

Well i guess ill be installing luna again till stable its out. My set up was perfect till windows came and ######ed everything up.

anybody have problems with certain apps freezing up like the default music player???

Not many issues here, but the music player has always been a pain in the ass here. Just randomly crashes completely every few songs. Has been doing that since Luna was released and still does, although I haven't properly tried it out on Freya. Might be the same issue. Do you get an error message when it dies?

No need for that anymore for Netflix. Just install Chrome 37 beta (or wait until 37 stable) and change the user agent to Windows and Netflix will use the HTML5 player on both Linux and Mac. Amazon Instant Video on the other hand, will probably need Pipelight until they change over.

P.S. Don't forget the Fresh Player Plugin to get the latest Flash working in Firefox (PPAPI to NPAPI wrapper).

:o :o :o that's.. that's wonderful :D

Not many issues here, but the music player has always been a pain in the ass here. Just randomly crashes completely every few songs. Has been doing that since Luna was released and still does, although I haven't properly tried it out on Freya. Might be the same issue. Do you get an error message when it dies?

it just locks up to the point i have to reset my computer

it just locks up to the point i have to reset my computer

Never have this issue... The music player works fine in my computer. Never locked on me yet.

anybody have problems with certain apps freezing up like the default music player???

Yeap, one of many things. I can't add music to the playlist because the damn thing just freezes. I ended up using Clementine, like I did on Luna...

If you guys are rolling or are considering install Freya, here are the new PPA updates for elementary OS tweaks:

Installing as new:

$ sudo add-apt-repository ppa:bmeznarsic/tweaks-freya
$ sudo apt-get update
$ sudo apt-get install elementary-tweaks

Upgrading:

$ sudo add-apt-repository ppa:bmeznarsic/tweaks-freya
$ sudo apt-get update
$ sudo apt-get upgrade

After the installation, you will find it in system settings - tweaks

• Like 3

I always thought this was the best and most sexy Linux Distro or even OS.

Too bad there arent better games and software for linux. Only reason i ever kept coming back to windows after using linux for months at a time.

I always thought this was the best and most sexy Linux Distro or even OS.

Too bad there arent better games and software for linux. Only reason i ever kept coming back to windows after using linux for months at a time.

You can always do a dual boot installation with Windows. You can have Linux to enjoy and learn then restart and go with Windows when you need to work.

To minimize just right click on a Windows border in the top and select "Minimize".

I admit it is rather nice, a bit buggy at times but that is what beta software brings with it. Would definitely use this if Windows or Ubuntu wasn't an option for me for whatever reason.