Elementary OS Beta Freya... best linux ever!

I believe PearOS was shut down by Apple because their were using similar icons of iOS and they were bought it. They never said the truth, the team later said that they were bought out (without mentioning the company) and then shut down.

Well that much I could read online, but how come eOS is basically identical to PearOS?! And if that scenario was true, how come Apple didn't do the same with them so far?

It fills my heart to read such praises for eOS. Definitively I thought it was the future of Linux and today it has earned such good reputation.

At least it has made something that seemed impossible: To present a Linux that is perfectly user friendly without making the Linux apostles to explode in anger.

Well that much I could read online, but how come eOS is basically identical to PearOS?! And if that scenario was true, how come Apple didn't do the same with them so far?

It's all about the icons used... eOS use different style of icons... That's why Apple is allowing them to exist and also remember that Steve Jobs is dead. He was really off the chain with any other OS using icons similar to OS X. He will go thermonuclear with anyone.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

How does this distro compare to Kubuntu 14.04 LTS?

What do you mean "how does this distro compare to Kubuntu"?? It doesn't, one is Kubuntu and the other is elementary OS Freya. They are both based on Ubuntu 14.04, if you want some common thing. And they both have a terminal. You see where this is going, so be a little more specific...

What do you mean "how does this distro compare to Kubuntu"?? It doesn't, one is Kubuntu and the other is elementary OS Freya. They are both based on Ubuntu 14.04, if you want some common thing. And they both have a terminal. You see where this is going, so be a little more specific...

of course they compare

- speed

- usability

- looks

- oob features

and so on.

of course they compare

- speed

- usability

- looks

- oob features

and so on.

Well isn't that a matter of personal taste/experience? I gues you could compare those 2 in terms of speed, if you're running them on same hardware, but other than that I don't think it's relevant. I mean, I always hated KDE, so clearly for me elementary looks a LOT better than Kubuntu, but others might disagree. Usability? It depends on what you want from your OS. Some bitch about the desktop being locked in eOS, I like it like that. Others hate the dock, etc. And about features, I don't think it really matters in Linux - both have the basic stuff, like browser, calculator, music & video apps, etc. And what they don't have oob, you can easily install via apt-get or software center. Would you say a distro is better than the other one because it includes Libre Office oob? :)

So, you should try and see for yourself to make an objective comparison.

I prefer the original name: Lindows, and MS can go to hell for forcing them to change their name.  Granted, never really bothered to try it.