Apple releases OS X Yosemite Developer Preview 6 with new wallpapers & icons

Apple releases OS X Yosemite Developer Preview 6 with new wallpapers & icons

Right on schedule, Apple has released the sixth preview of the upcoming OS X Yosemite to developers today. This new seed comes two weeks following the previous release, and it likely continues to bring performance enhancements, interface tweaks, and bug fixes. We?ll be updating this post with the changes in Preview 6 as they are discovered. If you find something new, you can let us know at tips@9to5mac.com. The release version of Yosemite is currently scheduled for the later half of October, and it will ship separately from iOS 8, which is not seeing a new beta today. Here?s what?s new:

screenshot-2014-08-18-10-03-35.png?w=140

- Xcode 6 beta 6 is also out.

screenshot-2014-08-18-10-25-45.png?w=140

- All icons in System Preferences redesigned

screenshot-2014-08-18-10-28-03.png?w=140

- Several new wallpapers to choose from (which you can download from here).

screenshot-2014-08-18-10-25-21.png?w=704

- New charging icon in the Menu Bar

screenshot-2014-08-18-10-30-06.png?w=584  screenshot-2014-08-18-10-30-11.png?w=808

- Do Not Disturb is back for Notification Center

screenshot-2014-08-18-10-32-17.png?w=794  screenshot-2014-08-18-10-32-23.png?w=598

- Volume and Brightness control HUD designs tweaked (again).

screenshot-2014-08-18-10-43-39.png?w=704

- New FontBook and Script Editor app icons. FontBook?s app has actually seen a slight redesign as well.

screenshot-2014-08-18-10-44-41.png?w=140

- New icons for Mail Preferences inside Mail.app.

screenshot-2014-08-18-10-47-11.png?w=140

- Dashboard (remember that?) now has a translucent background.

screen-shot-2014-08-18-at-1-47-13-pm.png

- New Diagnostics and Usage page upon startup.

screenshot-2014-08-18-10-49-39.png?w=140

- New Safari Preferences icons as well.

- Text in notification banners is slightly smaller.

Source: 9to5Mac

do people use the dashboard???

I use it for 5/10 seconds every so often if i need to quickly work out a date.. other than that everything it offers is already available and i believe the calendar is going to the sidebar they might as well kill it.

This update will cause problems for anyone using Parallels (current version of Parallels 9 anyway), as one of it's services will fail to start.

You can start the service manually by using this command in the Terminal (posted by someone in the Parallels forums):

sudo /Applications/Parallels\ Desktop.app/Contents/MacOS/Parallels\ Service.app/Contents/MacOS/prl_disp_service -e

I don't.  I've tried but more often than not, I want to be looking at one of my application windows while interacting with one of the dashboard controls (for example, a notepad dashboard widget isn't very useful if you want to write notes while referencing a web site or watching some instructional video).

I use it now and then to check the weather but on my machine that has the public beta I find myself using the weather display in the notification center more.

The new icons are nice. Glad to see Apple keeps things consistent in their UI refreshes.

Microsoft, are you listening?

Microsoft is very consistent with their inconsistency. 

• Like 3

wow looks nice but man its really looking more and more like iOS isn't it? 

I think that's a good thing. I mean, OS X and iOS are basically married and they practically work together. I'm dying to update my phone to iOS 8 so I can send all of my texts and calls to Yosemite.  :laugh:

Matter of fact, is anyone using the phone call feature with iOS and OS X right now? Just wanna know before I do update my iPhone, because even though I have Studio Wireless, I like coding without switching my headset or holding the phone all the time.

wow looks nice but man its really looking more and more like iOS isn't it?

That's the idea behind the Yosemite UI - make it look consistent with iOS 7+ while still keeping its own identity.

With DP6 they've added quite a bit more polish to OS X 10.10. What we see now is likely to be very close to the final product.

If you've not used it previously it actually uninstalls it during Yosemite install.  It is gone here and i'm actually glad so it is not using resources for something I don't use.

That's the idea behind the Yosemite UI - make it look consistent with iOS 7+ while still keeping its own identity.

With DP6 they've added quite a bit more polish to OS X 10.10. What we see now is likely to be very close to the final product.

I?m updating first thing when I get home this afternoon, but out of curiosity, in terms of polish have you noticed something besides the new icons?

Yosemite: just a theme change, for the sake of it.

As much as I?d love to agree with you, because I?m cool and all that, there?s an almost scary amount of new things in Yosemite. You?ll notice when third-party developers start taking advantage of it.

I think the volume and brightness HUDs look bad. Translucency, black AND white is just too much. Instead of blocks in a bar they should just go with black dots that fill in black circles. Like the iOS signal indicator.

Did they fix how bad the new font looks on non-Retina displays?

I wonder if with the UI refresh will come with a hardware design refresh. In the past OS X and the hardware (imac, macbook, mac pro) have all meshed. Back when the macs were all plastic, the UI had a more plastic feel to it.