Scalemate 2 - Now available for Windows 10

post-309968-0-97754600-1409080777.png

Scalemate is the easiest and simplest way to mass resize images.

Beta 1 is available now, tap the big blue Download button to install.

KNOWN ISSUES

Memory leaks are quite bad

Hovering over images causes a massive spike in memory usage

Dropping images in and saving them freezes the UI

Trying to save .PSDs or certain other image formats will cause the app to close

THINGS TO CHANGE

Make the UI more responsive during heavy operations

Decrease memory usage

--

This was my 4000th post, yay.

rI8SC9T.pngpost-309968-0-31400900-1409080725.png

I actually really need an app to do this frequently!!  Looking forward to getting my grubby mits on this :)

Wow the teaser looks nice! I'll sure try it out. Is it WPF?

Yep! 

--

Here's a (really) quick video to show off the UI:

It's still early so it's bound to change by release.

Yep! 

--

Here's a (really) quick video to show off the UI:

It's still early so it's bound to change by release.

It looks very nice. Did you do the animations yourself or used some framework?

It looks very nice. Did you do the animations yourself or used some framework?

I did all the animations myself in Blend :)

So, this resizes images and nothing else?

Why not use xnview, irfanview or one of the (probably many) others.

What makes this one easier/better?

Not being negative by the way, just curious.

I did all the animations myself in Blend :)

Well done! I'm looking forward to the release :) I love good looking software and WPF :)

So, this resizes images and nothing else?

Why not use xnview, irfanview or one of the (probably many) others.

What makes this one easier/better?

Not being negative by the way, just curious.

Yup, you literally drag images in, enter a size and click done. It'll then throw your resized images into a folder of your choice.

Honestly i'm not trying to compete with them in terms of features, Scalemate is only meant to do one thing; and that's to scale images.

With Scalemate you get a ridiculously simple UI, which looks great and blends with Windows' own UI pretty well whilst offering its own unique twist on the windows controls.

I believe that Scalemate's UI and ease of use makes it better (imo) than the alternatives, if people need extra features then there are plenty of alternatives, and that's great.

This is the moment where all hell breaks loose:

Beta 1 is available to download.

Check the first post to download it.

Please report bugs/issues/improvements in this thread - I promise i'll read every reply and try my best to sort it.

Thanks.

Just tried it out and is very nicely done! I had 1 crash when dragging a picture from my OneDrive folder in Windows 8. I used procdump.exe to find out what type of exception occured. Here it is:

------------------------------------------------------------------

[12:28:42] Exception: E0434F4D.System.IO.IOException ("The file cannot be access
ed by the system.
")
[12:28:42] Exception: E0434F4D.System.Windows.Markup.XamlParseException ("The fi
le cannot be accessed by the system.
")
The process has exited.

The problem is Windows shows you the content of the OneDrive folder, even if the files are not available locally yet. Windows downloads the file only when needed. That explains the above.

Interesting stuff!  Will it be able to scale up by % and 'fill to size maintaining ratio' in the future?  I hoped it could up-scale my wallpapers to 2560x1440 (I know Windows already does a fair job).

Pretty cool, I think software with a UX like this is sort of the future. Gone are the days of ugly tools.

It feels more inspired by OS X or iOS than Metro to me, because of the colours and the blurred headerbar (which I think look great in this context). And the circle spread animation on clicking things feels a bit like Material Design, also cool!

One thing though, nothing happens when I hit the checkmark after selecting images. It just clears the selection and that's it.

Just tried it out and is very nicely done! I had 1 crash when dragging a picture from my OneDrive folder in Windows 8. I used procdump.exe to find out what type of exception occured. Here it is:

[12:28:42] Exception: E0434F4D.System.IO.IOException ("The file cannot be access

ed by the system.

")

[12:28:42] Exception: E0434F4D.System.Windows.Markup.XamlParseException ("The fi

le cannot be accessed by the system.

")

The process has exited.

The problem is Windows shows you the content of the OneDrive folder, even if the files are not available locally yet. Windows downloads the file only when needed. That explains the above.

Thanks! I'll check it out and try to sort it, thanks for the help :)

Interesting stuff!  Will it be able to scale up by % and 'fill to size maintaining ratio' in the future?  I hoped it could up-scale my wallpapers to 2560x1440 (I know Windows already does a fair job).

I can certainly look into adding those features! Thanks for the feedback :)

Pretty cool, I think software with a UX like this is sort of the future. Gone are the days of ugly tools.

It feels more inspired by OS X or iOS than Metro to me, because of the colours and the blurred headerbar (which I think look great in this context). And the circle spread animation on clicking things feels a bit like Material Design, also cool!

One thing though, nothing happens when I hit the checkmark after selecting images. It just clears the selection and that's it.

Yep! It features elements from all operating systems, eg the blurred header bar from iOS and OS X, the subtle circle animations from Android as well as the window controls and some fonts from Windows.

That's what the checkmark is supposed to do once you've selected images, it's just an easy way to deselect all the images.

I'll come back with some bugs to smash later!

EDIT: Chrome sees this download as a potential hazard.

It's completely safe don't worry  :shiftyninja:

That's what the checkmark is supposed to do once you've selected images, it's just an easy way to deselect all the images.

Then how do I actually resize images :p ? The X removes them from the grid, the checkmark clears the selection.

* Edit, just got it. Wouldn't it make more sense to make the checkmark resize just the selected images?

Then how do I actually resize images :p ? The X removes them from the grid, the checkmark clears the selection.

* Edit, just got it. Wouldn't it make more sense to make the checkmark resize just the selected images?

I wanted the selection mode purely to be for removing images, but your suggestion is valid and i'll certainly look into a way of incorporating it.

Thanks.

--

I've just pushed out an update which allows you to scale images up with the Percentage tool, also a window should popup at the start to tell you of the new feature in the update. Your app install should update as soon as you open it thanks to ClickOnce.

--

Anddddddddddddd I've pushed out another update, this time to fix a problem with the last update :P

Didn't get a chance to try this, i'll post my findings later through the day. Quick question, what sort of memory leaks should I expect ? :p

This is what happens when 64 large photos are loaded and then hovered over :p

Sj3qrh4.gif

I really need to sort hovering over images out :p It doesn't release the memory.

So basically try not to hover over images until it's sorted otherwise byebye memory  :s

This is what happens when 64 large photos are loaded and then hovered over :p

Sj3qrh4.gif

I really need to sort hovering over images out :p It doesn't release the memory.

So basically try not to hover over images until it's sorted otherwise byebye memory  :s

Off topic, wow I really wanted  to try musicX, but at 151.4mb I have a hard time replacing my 20mb+ foobar setup ! :laugh:

Off topic, wow I really wanted  to try musicX, but at 151.4mb I have a hard time replacing my 20mb+ foobar setup ! :laugh:

Not too sure why it was so high then :p It normally isn't.

A4YiTpFF58pvEBMA-Region.png

You should still try musiX out, it's pretty darn sweet.

--

Pushed another update out to Scalemate, it now shows the progress when saving images in the taskbar, I'll hopefully get it to show in the app soon.

Wow that's high :)