Photo

Cannot believe how useful WP8.1 Update 1 is!

18 replies to this topic

#1 #Michael

#Michael

Neowinian Senior

Posted 19 August 2014 - 14:47

For work I have had an HTC 8x for dev work for the last 2 years.  Problem was is that WP8 and the app store was severally lacking in terms of features and apps.  Now that WP8.1 update 1 has hit, this phone is outstanding.  It can really hold its own against the iPhone.

There are a few things I notice though that still annoy me:

1. Why does spotify make their apps free on iOS and Android but require a premium account for WP?

2. Why does the lock screen still only allow for 1 app to get a detailed status?

#2 +macoman

macoman

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 19 August 2014 - 15:22

Yeah, Windows Phone 8.1 Update 1 is not perfect at all but is a great improvement over the previous versions. The only thing that annoying me is that Google does not want to deal with the platform because they said in one occasion that the market share was too low and not worthy. But blackberry have an even worst market share and they developed few apps for it. I think is more that Google hate Microsoft and they see it as a threat.

#3 elenarie

elenarie

Newbie .NET / game dev

• Tech Issues Solved: 2
  • Phone: Lumia 920 Yellow

Posted 19 August 2014 - 15:27

1. Because developers.

2. Because Microsoft.

We don't really need to use reason and logic.

#4 George P

George P

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: HTC Windows Phone 8X

Posted 19 August 2014 - 15:29

I don't know why Spotify is like that but it could change at some point.  As far as the lock screen goes, I think we'll see it advance more and more with each new update, remember update 2 is on the way before the year is over iirc. 

I still don't have 8.1 update 1 on my HTC 8X though so I can't talk about it much detail wise, though my needs are lower than others.

#5 OP #Michael

#Michael

Neowinian Senior

Posted 19 August 2014 - 15:32

Yeah, Windows Phone 8.1 Update 1 is not perfect at all but is a great improvement over the previous versions. The only thing that annoying me is that Google does not want to deal with the platform because they said in one occasion that the market share was too low and not worthy. But blackberry have an even worst market share and they developed few apps for it. I think is more that Google hate Microsoft and they see it as a threat.

I have almost stopped using google entirely.  The only thing I still use is google maps.  There are a couple of really good gmap apps for turn by turn navigation on the app store.

#6 +techbeck

techbeck

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 10

Posted 19 August 2014 - 23:14

Getting ready to update my 520 to the dev preview.  Are you able to update to the official release if on the preview via OTA?

#7 +Ryster

Ryster

Evil Teddy Rules!

Posted 19 August 2014 - 23:18

Getting ready to update my 520 to the dev preview.  Are you able to update to the official release if on the preview via OTA?

Yes. (assuming no bugs like the recent one where they had to turn OTA updates of the preview program off for certain versions).

#8 francescob

francescob

Neowinian Senior

Posted 19 August 2014 - 23:28

How will the final version be distributed? Will it pass through the infinitely slow manufacturer testing process?

#9 CG-88

CG-88

||Modified||

• Phone: Lumia 625

Posted 19 August 2014 - 23:47

Spotify isn't free because of Spotify. There is no other reason aside from them although they have stated it will be coming just on ETA.

The lock screen will get more detailed soon I think. There are already third party apps for weather, calendar etc. that improve the lock screen greatly and I think once Microsoft start doing this in addition to their lock screen beta app it will be pretty useful and customisable which everyone loves.

I think WP has come on a long way since I first got mine and I think the updates and improvements are for the better every single time which not many other phone software devs can say.

#10 BajiRav

BajiRav

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Lumia 920

Posted 20 August 2014 - 05:57

No. not yet. You will have to revert to 8.0 but is pretty painless (have done it on one of my own phones).

#11 protocol7

protocol7

It's Fumbles. It was always Fumbles.

Posted 20 August 2014 - 06:29

I'm starting to lose hope with it. Ever since first installing the 8.1 dev preview on my 520 I've had the music bug where in between songs it will play back a split second of the previous one. I put it down to lacking the Cyan firmware but I got that the other day and the bug remains. Updated to the latest 8.1u1 build and still no fix. Really MS, how hard is it to be able to playback music?

#12 jakem1

jakem1

Neowinian Senior

Posted 20 August 2014 - 07:21

I'm starting to lose hope with it. Ever since first installing the 8.1 dev preview on my 520 I've had the music bug where in between songs it will play back a split second of the previous one. I put it down to lacking the Cyan firmware but I got that the other day and the bug remains. Updated to the latest 8.1u1 build and still no fix. Really MS, how hard is it to be able to playback music?

I haven't encountered this bug but the Music app still has a long way to go before it's working smoothly.  It's getting there but it shouldn't have taken this long.

The good news is that the Music app is now independent of the OS so updates are being released on a fortnightly schedule.

#13 itisomegakai

itisomegakai

Neowinian

Posted 20 August 2014 - 07:54

Windows Phone 8.1 Developer Preview Update 1 Now Receiving Minor Update

firmware version 8.10.14157.200 is now being rolled out OTA (over the air) to Windows Phone 8.1 Developer Preview Update 1 adopters.

#14 elenarie

elenarie

Newbie .NET / game dev

• Phone: Lumia 920 Yellow

Posted 20 August 2014 - 08:12

I haven't encountered this bug but the Music app still has a long way to go before it's working smoothly.  It's getting there but it shouldn't have taken this long.

Also happens with other apps. Seems there is some stupid caching going on.

On another note, congratulations to MS for making Live Tiles obsolete. Every single god damn app on the phone doesn't want to update its tiles on time, it is always a few hours late. The Cocktail Flow app has been stuck on the same cocktail for several days now, just because the stupid scheduling doesn't allow the update task to be fired when I connect to the internet, and has to wait for a specific point in time when the OS gives a damn to allow that.

#15 XerXis

XerXis

Neowinian Senior

Posted 20 August 2014 - 08:52

How did you get 8.1 update on your htc? I still haven't received it :(