Infamous Dev Sucker Punch Suffers Layoffs"SCEA can confirm a reduction in workforce has taken place at Sucker Punch Productions."
By Colin MoriartyToday, Sucker Punch -- the Sony-owned, PlayStation-exclusive developer best known for its Sly Cooper and Infamous franchises -- suffered layoffs.
Sony confirmed the news to IGN in the following comment:
SCEA can confirm a reduction in workforce has taken place at Sucker Punch Productions. Sucker Punch is appreciative of the tremendous work team members contributed to the inFAMOUS and Sly Cooper series, and wishes them the best in their next endeavors.
It's unclear how many people were let go, though Sony's official comment seems to indicate that the cuts could have been as deep as affecting those who were with the team way back when they were still developing Sly Cooper. The last Sly Cooper game Sucker Punch created -- Sly 3: Honor Among Thieves -- launched on PlayStation 2 way back in 2005. The studio then pivoted to the Infamous franchise, releasing the first game in that series on PlayStation 3 in 2009.
For those keeping count on Sony game division lay offs.
1) Uncharted' writer and director Amy Hennig leaves Naughty Dog, reportedly forced out
2) Brian Karis leaves Naughty dog
3) Infamous: Second Son lead designer leaves Sony
4) PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale lead game designer leaves Sony Santa Monica
5) God of War Dev Stig Asmussen Leaves Sony Santa Monica
6) Sony America CEO Jack Tretton Steps Down
7) Superbot layoff
8) Sony Santa Monica layoff
9) Layoffs at Evolution Studios
10) Layoffs at Guerrilla Games
11) Layoffs at SCE London