US official: Military has been asked to send more troops to Iraq

72 replies to this topic

#61 OP +Jack Unterweger

Jack Unterweger

devoted fan of the us-armed forces

• 3,021 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S3

Posted 28 August 2014 - 15:13

anything IT related would be good. i entered linux as skills and chose federal employees and chose (just for a test how the system works)

Job Announcement Number:140114

it brings up a popup

Thank you for visiting usajobs.gov!

and the other window redirects to a login site for usajobs.gov, where i completed a registration. now i am about to filling out my profile:

it asks me if i am subscribed to selective service system, the website itself seem to only allow us citizens - so i can't apply for it is that correct?

on number 4 it asks about my federal employment status. is this us only again? or do they mean in generally if i am employed or not?

about if i am willing to travel. ofc i would! i have no family or other things to really take care of. i can chose between 25-50-75% of my time i would be willing to travel. if i chose more does it improves my options?

i have not applied for anything yet because i want to make sure that every previous step is in check and correct.

has anyone on neowin ever done this and would be willing to assist me with it?

sorry for hijacking the thread, if a mod wants to move this into a new one, no problem.

@diggus

thank you sir for your help so far. very appreciated.

i bring this up again in hope anyone is kindly willingly to assist with some help.

#62 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• 21,655 posts
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 28 August 2014 - 15:36

Iraq's government is as close as you will get to a democracy in the middle east (and that includes Israel).

And it was set up to fail. everyone knew it was doomed to fail with the population the way it is. 

#63 DocM

DocM

Neowinian Senior

• 17,745 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 15:49

Enter the need for Federalism with largely autonomous states based on their ethnic divisions.

The central govt handles things like defense, elections, taxation & revenue sharing, power and water. Add the internationally supervised division of oil profits.

#64 duoi

duoi

Resident Superhero

• 192 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 12:03

Enter the need for Federalism with largely autonomous states based on their ethnic divisions.

The central govt handles things like defense, elections, taxation & revenue sharing, power and water. Add the internationally supervised division of oil profits.

This is literally the worst possible solution. I guarantee the outcome of that will be Northern Iraq becoming independent as Southern Kurdistan, central Iraq going independent as an official ISIS country, and southern Iraq being annexed by Iran.

We will see on-going wars between Southern Kurdistan and the new IS country over areas like Kirkuk (these wars will never be settled) and we will see Iran enter a regional war with both the new Southern Kurdistan and IS block.

We will also immediately see Syria partitioned with the North being annexed by Southern Kurdistan to form a single Kurdish block, and we will see the Sunni block form with Syria (all the way to Aleppo) and form an extended ISIS country.

Not to mention Turkey, at which case their own Kurdish groups (which are higher in number and more aggressive) follow the wave of separation and attempt to join the Southern and Western Kurdish block.

The division of Iraq is completely off the table for anyone who rationally approaches the situation. Unless you want millions of refugees, genocide and endless wars, then vote NO on proposition 1515 :p

#65 DocM

DocM

Neowinian Senior

• 17,745 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 13:10

Federalism isn't partition, its a reorganization with revenue sharing and shared defense

#66 duoi

duoi

Resident Superhero

• 192 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 13:22

Federalism isn't partition, its a reorganization with revenue sharing and shared defense

Federalism isn't, but large loosely-defined autonomous zones of people with completely clashing goals and interests is undoubtedly destined for partition. The idea that its sectarian as well will fundamentally result in displacement of people (Sunnis will be forced out of Shia areas, Shia areas will be forced out of Sunni areas, Shia and Sunni will be forced out of Kurdish areas, Kurds will be forced out of Sunni and Shia areas, and so on). How will you partition a place like Kirkuk or Mosul? What happens to minorities?

It is simply not a feasible method.

#67 hagjohn

hagjohn

Neowinian Senior

• 2,095 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Yellow 1020 w/ 8.1

Posted 30 August 2014 - 13:23

Yeah, power sharing has worked so well in that area of the world in the past. It is all a big waste of time. There is no trust between the groups there. We need to stop feeding the hand that bites us.

#68 OP +Jack Unterweger

Jack Unterweger

• 3,021 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 09:31

And they are older ones, such as Bill Jones, who helps lead a local chapter of Disabled American Veterans. Pulling out of Iraq "was the worst mistake we could have ever done," he said.

most military guys seem to think exaclty this. also, you either win a war or you lose one but you don't chicken run away from it.

in a poll over 40% of the us thinks that pulling out of iraq was the wrong decision and just done for political reasons (obama fullfilling his election promise)

this also adds up well with the tone robert gates signs in his book duty, where he critisizes obama and his staff for completely ignoring and overruling and not trusting military commanders.

http://1.usa.gov/1nOJsEy

#69 Dinggus

Dinggus

Neowinian Senior

• 2,781 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 06:10

Maybe you should learn how the Norwegian justice system works before you say things you don't understand.

Also, Id rather live in a country where I can feel safe because of low crime and murder rates than a country where I can't walk the streets of a city without fear of my life and where areas of cities have whole areas run by gangs where you can't even enter without being robbed or raped or murdered unless you are part of the gang. See we at least try and usually turn criminals into useful citizens, you guys dump them in jail and punish them so they come out as even harder criminals. 

Again, yes you should leave them alone, they don't want your help, and your american "help" has over the history since you became one of the youngest nations in the world(yet think you know better than everyone else) only ever made things worse. 

that's if you assume he actually runs the country or could runt he country without US backing. 

I walk around without the fear for my life every day. What I fear is you saying Norway tries and turns criminals into useful citizens. I guess the guy who kiled 77 people will come out as a Preacher for God or some ######.

#70 OP +Jack Unterweger

Jack Unterweger

• 3,021 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 07:41

thing is, in any country you could be involved in a shooting and die, because, if someone wants to get a weapon he'll do it illegally anyway and kill you.

#71 OP +Jack Unterweger

Jack Unterweger

• 3,021 posts

Posted 14 September 2014 - 08:23

retired navy captain chuck nash was just on fox news radio and clearly stated that while airstrikes could  be the deciding factor also had highest doubts that isil can be destroyed without boots on the ground and made it clear this will be a long term mission.

he sees it as a failure that us left iraq, maliki broke all his promises to the sunni and now we face the chaos.

i wonder why obama is not listening to those voices. is he really that aloof?

it's not like he could not work on obamacare and other things being so important to him anymore, if he sends the army to iraq and syria.

sometimes obama comes arround as a guy with very  little multitasking skills, but these skills are needed for a potus.

over 30k isil fighters, probably way more sleepers in european cities. i read in german spiegel today that the security there is nearly overworked with how much they need to do against them in their own country shows again that europe just can't do it alone.

#72 DocM

DocM

Neowinian Senior

• 17,745 posts

Posted 14 September 2014 - 13:50

On the policy sites the reports are that the US policy towards IS will actually be set after the elections, with realists in both party leaderships agreeing air power can't do it alone.

#73 hagjohn

hagjohn

Neowinian Senior

• 2,095 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Yellow 1020 w/ 8.1

Posted 14 September 2014 - 21:15

Welcome to the new Vietnam.