New to SSD's. Worried about losing drivers when installing new SSD card with fresh Windows 8.

I current own a HP Envy DV7 (dv7-7243cl). I just bought the caddy extension (ran me $38 - cheapest anywhere) and a SSD card. The problem I think I'm going to run into is when I boot the new SSD I will have to install a new new version of Windows 8. How does my computer know what my drivers are. More importantly, can I just put in a recovery disk in the SSD card? Maybe avoid paying for Win8 all together as well. Yeah just need a heads up. Thank you.

Regards,

Michael Vega

You would do a disk partition clone. from the old drive to the new drive (ssd). you dont have to reinstall anything after a disk clone. Norton ghost 11.5 does it. I think Easeus Partion Manager works too.

You would do a disk partition clone. from the old drive to the new drive (ssd). you dont have to reinstall anything after a disk clone. Norton ghost 11.5 does it. I think Easeus Partion Manager works too.

I did this yesterday when I replaced the HDD on my boss's office desktop with an SSD.

The SSD (ADATA) came with a lite version of Acronis and the Cloning took less than an hour and windows 8.1 didn't ask to reactivate after booting up from the new SSD.

The problem with cloning is that I'd prefer a "fresh start" so to speak. Ideally, I'd like to have my laptop on a fresh ssd with Win8 and be able to access my old files from my computer. Almost treating my current disk as an external harddrive when I have the SSD installed. Does this make sense? So installing a recovery disk, merely for the drivers, is this how it's usually done?

The problem with cloning is that I'd prefer a "fresh start" so to speak. Ideally, I'd like to have my laptop on a fresh ssd with Win8 and be able to access my old files from my computer. Almost treating my current disk as an external harddrive when I have the SSD installed. Does this make sense? So installing a recovery disk, merely for the drivers, is this how it's usually done?

If you're worried for the drivers, you can always look on the HP website.

Check this out:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?product=5312233&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en

I current own a HP Envy DV7 (dv7-7243cl). I just bought the caddy extension (ran me $38 - cheapest anywhere) and a SSD card. The problem I think I'm going to run into is when I boot the new SSD I will have to install a new new version of Windows 8. How does my computer know what my drivers are. More importantly, can I just put in a recovery disk in the SSD card? Maybe avoid paying for Win8 all together as well. Yeah just need a heads up. Thank you.

Regards,

Michael Vega

Use the HP Recovery Manager to create a backup of your original OS in case you will ever need it. This will allow for a "fresh start" If you forget to do this it will cost you to re obtain this media from HP. This will include all your "extra" HP sofware plus certificates for PowerDVD etc.

Yes you can use your original Windows 8 (recovery backup media) on your new SSD.

Otherwise use a tool to backup your Windows 8 activation token and reactivate your Windows once you have re installed it. (If Non OEM copy)

You shouldn't have any driver issues as all your specs are fairly norm.

Hello,

If you have factory recovery media for the HP Envy DV7 (dv7-7243cl) computer, you should be able to use that to perform a clean install of the operating system to the SSD.

After it completes, run Windows Update as well as whatever tool HP provides to get the operating system and its device drivers all up to date.

Next, go ahead and install and update any additional software you use on the computer (web browsers, apps, utilities, security software, etc.).

Lastly, copy any data over from the old hard disk drive to the new SSD.

You will now have a fresh install of your OS, applications and data on the new SSD to enjoy.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

• 2 weeks later...

Regards,

Michael Vega

It will depend entirely on how the SSD is attached.

Where SSD replaces (literally) the HDD - it is attached to the same port - the issue will likely be zero.  Alternatively, you can use a data-migration tool such as Acronis True Image (which is included with most SSDs) and migrate your existing install to your SSD.  The latter is typically the safest option, as you avoid having to re-purchase the operating system.

Oddly enough, the same issue applies to OS X - even on "Hackintoshes"; the biggest issue there is TRIM support onn non-Apple SSDs.  (However, third-party utilities abound to fix that issue.)