KernelTool 0.1 - Switch between 3 different kernel schedulers + automatic kernel updater

4tWQ344.jpg

thanks to mephistopheles, who hinted me to yad, a tool for lazy untalented people like me, who don't really know much about programming, but prefer to go the easy way of just designing a nice interface for the show-off effect and having a few buttons executing the scripts, i finally made it possible:

bBIHrT5.jpg

--> KernelTool 0.1 is here! it let's you switch between 3 different kernel schedulers by just pressing the button and it also includes kernel updater, exact the same as seen in my snapshot-linux distro.

this tool will be included in the next version of snapshot-linux as well, and if i have motivation to continue developping, i might do so! therefore, again, i rely on your feedback. i have tested this only on my pc (and won't bother testing on my notebook, it just should work).

you need to have yad installed, which is afaik default in most linux distros.

if not:

Konsole or terminal and

sudo apt-get install yad

and here it is:

Mirror 1 - Zippyshare: 40KB / tar.gz                    button1a.png

Mirror 2 - bplaced.net: 40KB / tar.gz                  button1a.png

just extract the archive in any folder you wish, .sh files should all be come as executable per default, then just run:

sudo ./kerneltool.sh

@Haggis

impossible sir. they work both here. anyone can confirm?

whats a kernel scheduler? how does the automatic kernel update work? like the idea but wish it would notify me when a new kernel is available instead of just waking up and finding out it update by itself. 

whats a kernel scheduler? how does the automatic kernel update work? like the idea but wish it would notify me when a new kernel is available instead of just waking up and finding out it update by itself. 

- you get kernel updates via the automatic ubuntu update function, however they are always very late, too late for my taste. so i just made a script downloading the latest stable mainline generic kernel, which is now 3.16.1; thats basically the same as my kernelUpdater in my distro snapshot-linux includes, but this just updates to 3.16.0;

- for kernel scheduler i have included a link in my tool so you can read on them. alternatively ,just google it.

Download links are working for me, can't comment on the scripts themselves however, I make it a habit not to run stuff off of forums.

and that's now becoming utterly ridiculous. you can open up the several .sh files in a text editor and copy paste the single liners, insert on google you find your answer.  :s

linux and open source is based on trust, and ofc. if you don't have trust, at least the possibility to easily check every ######ing single letter of the code and that's just what i am offering.

you really think i would be that stupid to create a whole distro (took me about 3 weeks and brought my sleep disorder back) and now that kernel tool (again, took lot of heat for it) just to include some dubious code? again, even if i wanted, it's just not possible...

the *.sh files contain just

wget http://linktokernelfile

and the dpkg and the reboot command....

......  ok i should maybe have left the reboot command out of it, i just realize, it's a difference to the kernel patcher included in my distro, still it's nothing to worry about.

snip.

btw: fixed the reboot thingy, kernelpatcher won't reboot automatically anymore, it leaves it up to you when you reboot. because this is not windows right?

Are the download link pics? if so that why i cant see them lol

Also i see both your sides, its good to share things in the community etc but also would you run a script just because i told you it was safe?

would you open an email attachment just because i told you its safe??

Max is right if you dont know what a script is doing you need to be very very careful before running it

Also retaliating to something a user has said with an attitude does not help prove your point

They are not saying your scripts are not safe but no user ever should run a script just because the author says its is safe.

I've read the thread and I'm still none the wiser - what is a Kernel Scheduler and why do I need to switch it?

I've read the thread and I'm still none the wiser - what is a Kernel Scheduler and why do I need to switch it?

Kernel updater is just a script that downloads the latest 3.16 kernel, it will downlaod the latest one that may or may not have been available for your system yet. It also may or may not break things on your system

Scheduler is the process in the kernel that runs/suspend tasks so others can run so if one process is not being used for exampe it will suspend that process and allow another process to use its resources

very basic explanations but its how i explain it to my dad lol

• Like 2

Kernel updater is just a script that downloads the latest 3.16 kernel, it will downlaod the latest one that may or may not have been available for your system yet. It also may or may not break things on your system

not at all. i love kernel updates. i remember back in 2009 when i did my first i was so in full panic because, knowing windows, i feared i would end up with a complete broken system in case anything goes wrong.

it worked but i did not know why. and i was just happy.

got my htc desire and that was running on android and android is also just a linux sys.

i replaced my iphone 3g with an android device because i knew from xda-developers that you could heavily modify it and also run custom kernels.

only thanks to android i learnt that a kernel is not an os. it's 2 different things. and i love the way linux/android handles it.

if i install a kernel not suiting my needs, i still can boot the previous one.

a kernel update with my update tool or manually or via update manager N E V E R  deletes the old kernel.

the worst thing can happen is your os won't boot, you press the reset button next time you get a boot menu you chose the previous kernel to boot, then you uninstall the new one. mission accomplished. :D

kernel updates these days or even in previous days are a bit like bios updates these days. these days even if you screw up your bios update, the bios itself (!) detects it and flashed back the old one.

this was not the norm 14 years back when i first destroyed one mainboard through a wrong bios flash, thankfully the nice guy in my pc store could flash it back.

What you need to realise is that if people need to use a script to do a kernel update. Then most likely they aint gonna know how to fix something that goes wrong

Ubuntu amd Mint for example dont give you a grub boot screen they just boot the top option

What you need to realise is that if people need to use a script to do a kernel update. Then most likely they aint gonna know how to fix something that goes wrong

Ubuntu amd Mint for example dont give you a grub boot screen they just boot the top option

they do it once. but if it fails i get the grub option. i use kubuntu 14.04, but i remember getting it also back with ubuntu 12x and 13x.

now i even once got that famous hdd check during boot (i know my 7 years old hdd with deep red smart statuses needs an replacement asap) so i think linux is really up2it.

safest way however is to install my snapshot-linux. it not only includes the latest kde but it also includes the kde grub manager, where you can customize your grub till you drop dead.